IGNORED

Square driver?

Note: This thread is 6118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i was just wondering everyones take on the new square headed drivers, the sq sumo2 5300, or the calloway ft-i etc... love any input, right now im hitting a taylor made R580 stiff shaft.. but im not sure its the best driver for me, im finding i was hitting a bit better with my cheap walmart driver with a 460cc head.

Personally I find that the Nike Sumo2 is the only one that looks nice behind the ball, the rest I think look pretty awful. The Callaway FTi has gotten good reviews I've heard though.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Go to a dealer and hit some. I liked the FTi, did not like the SuMo2. For me, I tended to hit better with the more traditional shaped drivers (FT5, SuMo), but couldn't tell if that was physiological or psychological. After hitting nearly everything (including the above, the Cobra, the R7, HiBore, X460, G5, 905R, etc), I found that I tended to get the most consistent results from the BB460, so that's what I bought.

Hi--there is another active forum thread where somebody asked for similar advice, even putting in a survey question. You might want to search for the thread...or if the moderator catches this, he can send you the link to the thread.

Anyway, to answer your question, I own a square driver (FT-i) and like it. I have to be honest that I play it because I have a friend in the industry who has asked me to play it for a number of reasons, and I probably wouldn't have bought it on my own. But having tried it, I like it very much. It's an excellent driver.

My previous driver was an FT-3, and I owned an ERC Fusion before that. (Callaway has always been my preferred company for drivers and FW). The FT-i is a little longer than both, but I can't say it's any straighter than the FT-3 was.

The most common review on the FT-i is that it is a shorter but more accurate driver than competing clubs, but this hasn't been my personal experience. The pro at my golf course thinks the club is a bit longer than his Ping G5 driver.

The look of the driver is odd, but you get accustomed to it quickly. Same with the sound--very harsh, but there is good feedback, meaning you can tell the difference in sound between solid hits and lousy ones.

I put a detailed recommendation on how to choose a driver in the other thread, so if you can find it that would be great. Otherwise, in short, get fitted by a reputable fitter, not some kid trained on a launch monitor working in a Golf Galaxy store. Preferably a PGA pro with a launch monitor; you can also search the website of Callaway, Taylor Made, or Ping, and they will give you "authorized fitting centers," where there are well-trained people there to help you. Choice of shaft is critical, and a good fitter will help you with that.

Good luck.

JP

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last week I crunched my driver in the trunk hinges. I spent all day sat. hitting demos on monitors and took a few to the range. I really didn't like any of the new square drivers. I hit them very straight, but they are almost impossible to work and the tend to upshoot on me, I actually lost yardage and hit fewer fairways on Sat., and Sun. with the demos, because I couldn't shape my shot. I suppose if I got used to it I could plan for the direction, but the loss of trajectory control and roll is a concern. I did try some in lower lofts but most of those were shafted in stiff shafts I need regular.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Check out Integra's Sooo Long Quadratic. Best looking and sounding of the bunch. For the $$$ Performs as well as either Cally or Nikes. Lynx just came out with one, the LX2. 5500 g-cm MOI rating. The Integra has a composite top and has a patent on their design, sets up nice and square even though I believe their specs say it's .5* closed. It was out before Cally or Nike. The Lynx is also better looking than the Nike and Cally, IMHO. I know the Integra performs as well as the 2 OEMs. I owned 3. Now have 2. one with an Aldila VS Proto "BY YOU" 70s 9.5*. I also have a 10.5* head, haven't figured out what shaft I want ot put in it yet. I had another 9.5*w/UST V2 75s in it. Friend hit it and then offered me a price I couldn't refuse so I sold it.

Seriously, save some $$$ and check out the Integra Quad. You won't be disappointed.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Hi--there is another active forum thread where somebody asked for similar advice, even putting in a survey question. You might want to search for the thread...or if the moderator catches this, he can send you the link to the thread.

REASON #1- FREE???

-Landon

Last week I crunched my driver in the trunk hinges. I spent all day sat. hitting demos on monitors and took a few to the range. I really didn't like any of the new square drivers.

Please don't take offense to this, but your a 15 hc. How much working of the ball (on purpose) do you actually do???

Last I checked, STRAIGHT IS GRRREAT!!!

-Landon

Please don't take offense to this, but your a 15 hc. How much working of the ball (on purpose) do you actually do???

Zero feedback is bad. 15 index does not automatically mean poor ball striking. He could have an awful short game, I know I do, but I strike the ball better than most my hc. I've been told by some I drive like a 5hc.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

I currently use the Sumo2, the squared little devil. I really love the design, and the look at adress with the club, it always gives me extra confidence while at the tee.
After I fixed my grip, I`m able to hit it dead straight (9 out of 10 times, I guess). But I think I loose too much distance, as I hit the ball at the sweet spot 90% of my shots, and it does not fly longer than 250-260 metres. But with that said, the ball will fly the same distance if you have a slight mishit, so if you`re one of those not able to find the sweet spot, this might be the driver for you.

If you`re interested, you could buy mine in the near future, as I am planning on getting a new one anyways.

I have made one hole in one this far. While you are reading this, I am most likely out on the tee trying to sink another one

I agree. I'm not saying his ballstriking is bad. I'm just saying, how many times during the course of a round do you step up and say "I'm gonna hit this here 5 iron 180yds. with a 15 yd. right to left because the pins tucked back left and there's water left. So I don't want to come in from the left side." Basically, you get up there and try to hit it straight somewhere on the green and go from there. That's all. I really meant no offense.

-Landon

I agree. I'm not saying his ballstriking is bad. I'm just saying, how many times during the course of a round do you step up and say "I'm gonna hit this here 5 iron 180yds. with a 15 yd. right to left because the pins tucked back left and there's water left. So I don't want to come in from the left side." Basically, you get up there and try to hit it straight somewhere on the green and go from there. That's all. I really meant no offense.

its not so complicated,.....but I do that on every shot I hit. If I am making my ball move, then atleast Im controlling it. If I try to hit it straight everytime its either gonna go straight, left or right, id like to know.

That said i mainly hit fades, because they are easier for me. haha.

Bag:
Driver: 325 (draw)
Irons: mp 32
Wedges: Black Ni
Putter: Teardrop...dominatorBall: nice ones.

Note: This thread is 6118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!