IGNORED

What is your average Driver yardage?

itzzzberny
Note: This thread is 4738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far can you go w/ the Driver on average?

• 75 - 150 yards
    • 151 - 200 yards
    • 201 - 260 yards
    • 261 - 285 yards
    • 286 - 320 yards
    • 321 - or more

I hit balls for an hour on a launch monitor while getting fitted for a driver. I was carrying 240. I dont know how much roll . I found that to be pretty close to what I get on the course.

I dont think handicaps play that much in driving distance. Most people go to the driving range and pound whole buckets with the driver with out ever practicing their scoring clubs.

I have one friend who I would say averages 280-290 off the tee. When he hits his irons you can hear the ball hissing. It is impressive but he doesnt score . Hes about a 18 handicap....its truly sad because I would kill for that distance.

Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around. ~Rick Reilly, "Master Strokes," Sports Illustrated

220-240 on my first day with the driver.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

I hit balls for an hour on a launch monitor while getting fitted for a driver. I was carrying 240. I dont know how much roll . I found that to be pretty close to what I get on the course.

I don't know if I buy the numbers on the launch monitors. I've been working on getting fitted for a new driver over the past few weeks. According to the launch monitors (that's right, I tried 4 different ones, at four different places) I'll easily carry my new FT-5 over 300 yards. Even mis-hits will carry 290. I suppose that those numbers are possible (my swing speed is about 118mph w/a 12-12.5' launch angle) but I'm going to wait to until I see it on the course before I believe it. Hopefully later this week since I just picked up the new stick tonight.

ETA: Stillhacken, I'm not doubting your numbers. Just the numbers of launch monitors in general. I'd welcome any real-world feedback on this topic (perhaps a new thread?).

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

I knew about how far I hit the ball before I went in. If it said I was hitting 300yds I know the thing would be screwed up. I wanted more carry then I had with my old driver and I got it. Most people I talk to actually say they hit it farther then the monitor reads. I believe most people are somewhat delusional on this subject though. My swing speed was 100 with 14 degree launch angle so the numbers jive.
If your swing speed is 118 you shouldnt have a problem getting 300.
Good luck with your new stick.

These old stats should be close to yours. Swing speed and launch angle that is.

ERNIE ELS
Driving distance
1997: 271.6
2003: 319.6
Clubhead speed: 118 mph
Ball speed: 174 mph
Launch angle: 11.5 degrees
Ball spin: 2,400 rpm
Driver: Titleist 983K, 8.5 degrees
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around. ~Rick Reilly, "Master Strokes," Sports Illustrated

You've got to laugh at some of the posts on this thread. You've got people (some of whom can obviously play) talking of averaging over 300 yards or at the "worst"(!) upper 200s. Nonsense; or if it's real I would really try and work on your irons/short game. I don't see too many plus-handicaps claimed around here let alone the +6s of Rory McIlroy or Garcia.

These big hits...300 yards but 60 yards right/left? Impressive.

Launch monitors? Spin rates? Launch angles??? These numbers mean very little for the average player who can't hit the same shot, the same, three times running. Try some clubs out, pick the one's you get on with. A decent player knows what trajectory is a good one for any club in the bag. Spin with a driver? What of it? You want lots of roll so that wayward tee shot can go that much further into the cabbage? The trouble with the modern game is technology is too important; learn to hit it properly. I'd love to see people hit a true balata ball with a persimmon driver or a 1-iron .

For the record, I think (no LM data here) I average about 270-280 in "standard" conditions by which I mean no wind, flat and firm (not bone hard) fairway. If I really gun one and it finds the fairway I might get 300ish but it's rare. I'd rather a 3-wood/2-iron in the fairway than a big (but wayward) driver in the rubbish.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

perfectly struck ball at 118mph clubhead speed will give just under 290 yards carry.

to be hitting 300 yard carries you need to be swinging in the low to mid 120s.

when tiger goes at it he swings 125 mph and manages a little over 300 yards carry maybe 305yards without excess heat etc

strange how at the driving range past 250 is where there are least balls not where the majority finish at all!

Most golf course tee markings aren't accurate. The only way to know for sure is to get a GPS Sky Caddie.

Umm, a laser would work too. And if they move the markers a Sky Caddie won't be accurate either.

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

You've got to laugh at some of the posts on this thread. You've got people (some of whom can obviously play) talking of

So its ok for you to claim big drives, but when the majority claims a big drive their posts become nonsense?

I know I have a lot of posts in here saying the majority of driving distances are jumped up a bit but I think this post is quite hypocritical.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I think the poll would need to break up the 200-260 selection.

I hit it 200 to 220, usually. 240 on a great drive. However, as a beginner, I'm rarely consistent with my Driver, and I pick up a slice real easy. So, I use my 3-wood most often.

My 3-wood goes dead straight 150 to 180 regularly. I'd rather hit that then slice my Driver. Not super long distances by any measure, but I'm happy.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

Are the distance measuring capabilities on those indoor simulators accurate? If they are I'm going to go with a video camera and show all you doubters that an 18+ handicap can hit 300+. You guys need to remember that most golfers aren't exactly the most athletic and in peak physical condition. I also doubt many of the guys on tour do heavy squats, dealift and jerks. These things build explosive power and that's probably why I can hit so far. There is a reason that powerlifters are some of the fastest runners in the world in short distances. Explosive, fast twitch power.

Why is my handicap still 18+ if I can hit 300+? The explanation is pretty simple: I can't hit irons, my short game sucks and I'm a pretty bad putter.

If anyone has a good way for me to prove my distance I'd love to hear it.

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*
MP-32 3-pw Rifle Project X 6.0
56*10 satin & 60*10 oil can Method #1

Are the distance measuring capabilities on those indoor simulators accurate? If they are I'm going to go with a video camera and show all you doubters that an 18+ handicap can hit 300+. You guys need to remember that most golfers aren't exactly the most athletic and in peak physical condition. I also doubt many of the guys on tour do heavy squats, dealift and jerks. These things build explosive power and that's probably why I can hit so far. There is a reason that powerlifters are some of the fastest runners in the world in short distances. Explosive, fast twitch power.

You only need to prove it to yourself my friend.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Umm, a laser would work too. And if they move the markers a Sky Caddie won't be accurate either.

SkyCaddy's have a "Mark" button that allows you to mark a starting point and an end point. The unit calculates the distance based on the GPS coordinates.

It not only verifies those huge drives , it's helpful when setting up yardages for practicing short pitches (ex. 25-75 yards). The pitches seem pretty accurate vs stepping them off. I'd assume the longer distances would be close to accurate as well. (I know, it's not perfect).

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

is this just a post where everyone can whip out their d*cks? lol.

280-300 average
300-330 clean

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

So its ok for you to claim big drives, but when the majority claims a big drive their posts become nonsense?

Oh dear! Sorry to have offended your feelings Jay_B. My point is that someone claiming an average of almost 300 yards off the tee and yet has a handicap of 15-20 must either a) be hitting it _so_ far off target it's not worthwhile or b) talking twaddle. Come on, think about it for a second. Oh and as for me, I have a 4 (yes, that's four) handicap that I've maintained for ~25 years. Wouldn't you expect me to make a reasonable claim to drives averaging 270-280????

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

is this just a post where everyone can whip out their d*cks?

Yep, looks like it

SkyCaddy's have a "Mark" button that allows you to mark a starting point and an end point. The unit calculates the distance based on the GPS coordinates.

Yeah, I know they can mark distances on the course. But my point was that in most situations you can't mark distances on the range. There are some driving ranges that SkyGolf has mapped, but how do you know the pin is in the same place that SkyGolf marked?

Anyway, I have a GPS that I love for playing, but I have a laser for use at the range. He who dies with the most toys wins

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

Note: This thread is 4738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!