IGNORED

Unwritten rule of the empty range

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

( My range opens until 10 at night, 7 days a week. )

I don't mind the next stall neighbor as long as they are hitting balls.   What makes me wince is when bunch of people are drunk and talking loud/laughing/swearing between their shots.  I.e, I go to a range to hit balls and there is a beer party, especially on weekend night.   You can hear all their intimate conversations - yeah, I screw that girl in high school, my in-law has croaked and left my wife a house, etc..

Yes! That and the fact that there are 8 of them, all with a bay each and their clubs in their individual bays but they're gathered around a single bay for an hour trying out one of their new drivers while others are queuing to use bays. :censored:

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Hahahaha...I can relate!  I never go to the driving range, but I have a young son that likes to bowl and I can relate on a similar level.   I am a golfer of 20+ years...and bowler of almost 2yrs....thanks to my son.  He loves to do it, and now we are bowling buddies!!

I hate it when the bowling center is almost empty and the little dude and I are doing our thang in relative peace.......1 group shows up...and they are put right next to us!!  All this empty space, and they put them right next to us?  I mean C'MON!! LOL

yes...I play golf and bowl too

The driving range is different though....the idiot chose to hit balls right next to you.......the bowling center chooses the lanes.  it's still annoying just the same!!  I'm still waiting for my first 300 game!  288 is my best... If one has the hand/eye coordination to play golf well.....bowling will come easy. IMO....

I am too focused on my practice for next stall neighbor to bother me as long as he is doing his thing.   It's the loud "party" that bothers me.

I used to bowl, too (happy to claim that my bowling average is higher than my golf one).  My next door bowler didn't bother me as long he did his thing.   When a group of kids who are bowling for just a night out thing, they can really be annoying.   There were times I had to pack up and leave.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same thing applies to chipping area.   My range's chipping area has just two holes and it lends itself to be used by just two people.   The other day, a lady was practicing chipping at wrong angle/direction (there's a sign that tells you which direction you should hit!) such that her missed shots keep coming to where I was hitting to.   Every time this happened, she came to pick up her ball and I had to stop chipping to avoid hitting her with my chips.   It got so disturbing that I just packed up and left.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

That Cleveland HiBore XL...so loud I sold it the week after buying it.

Anybody know which are the quietest drivers?

I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and wear earplugs to protect my ears while playing with my Burner Superfast.

I also have an Adams Super S driver which is quieter but I get better performance with the TaylorMade.

Sorry to hijack?

Noisier is better for me,  Then, when I get out on the course, I care less about what's going on around me. People yakking, bozos on the highway honking their horns, lawn mowers, trains, and even roosters are all part of my golf environment. I just tell myself it's the range where you always pure a shot ....  and half the time I do.

I do my thing, they do their thing.

Pretty much as long as they aren't smoking such that I have to breath it, I don't care.  Or if they are actually interfering in a physical way my swing.

If someone is out of line, (like the woman chipping thing up top, or people walking past too close, or smoking, etc) usually a polite comment and people are courteous - most people are courteous.

as for someone taking the adjacent stall at an empty range - they have the right to pick any open stall they want (just like I did).  If I don't want a neighbor, and the place is wide open, I can move too.  If I like my stall enough to hit next to someone why should I begrudge him the same.  I've moved a couple times and usually the 'new guy' apologizes and offers to move when he notices me transferring - it's not a big deal.  I don't know if they are a jerk, or if they just always perfer that particular stall for a very specific reason, nor do I care.

If it's a big deal, I should pay for three adjacent stalls and use the middle one.

Bill - 

I am too focused on my practice for next stall neighbor to bother me as long as he is doing his thing.   It's the loud "party" that bothers me.

I used to bowl, too (happy to claim that my bowling average is higher than my golf one).  My next door bowler didn't bother me as long he did his thing.   When a group of kids who are bowling for just a night out thing, they can really be annoying.   There were times I had to pack up and leave.

Same thing applies to chipping area.   My range's chipping area has just two holes and it lends itself to be used by just two people.   The other day, a lady was practicing chipping at wrong angle/direction (there's a sign that tells you which direction you should hit!) such that her missed shots keep coming to where I was hitting to.   Every time this happened, she came to pick up her ball and I had to stop chipping to avoid hitting her with my chips.   It got so disturbing that I just packed up and left.

Which range do you go to? During the weekdays, I go to the Mission Hills range in Hayward during my lunch hour. Thankfully, whenever I go the rowdy kids go to the upper stalls to hit. It sometimes becomes bothersome when someone up their decides to "light up," but not to the point where I have to move or leave. Most of the time, I think nothing of it. There are some interesting characters at this range. The guy who talks to himself after each shot, the angry range rat, or there's a guy who lets out a HUGE grunt on his back swing. If someone decides to park at the stall next to me, I don't mind as long as you're not the guy who unwarrantedly talks to you about how a drill or video has helped you hit the ball further and you just want to pass on your success. That's probably the only thing that would bother me.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I do my thing, they do their thing.

Pretty much as long as they aren't smoking such that I have to breath it, I don't care.  Or if they are actually interfering in a physical way my swing.

If someone is out of line, (like the woman chipping thing up top, or people walking past too close, or smoking, etc) usually a polite comment and people are courteous - most people are courteous.

Do we want to know what this means? :-O Don't know which emoticon to use: shocked or :drool:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Do we want to know what this means? Don't know which emoticon to use: shocked or

If you're jsut being funny - good one....

Just in case, a post up above talked about a lady chipping opposite the posted directions on a practice green - the poster decided to leave......rather than just talk nicely to the lady and letting her know the rules for that area.  Most people are pretty decent once approached with respect - the main exceptions I've seen have mostly been when talking to a parent about their kid's behaviors - and "that golfer" you know who I'm talking about.......

I don't mind being social at the range - but, if I'm so inclined, it'll be usually a single "nice hit".  the response is usually pretty clear if they are so inclined or definitely not.  go from there accordingly.  would be nicer to have more females around though than what's there typically

Bill - 

Most people are pretty decent once approached with respect - the main exceptions I've seen have mostly been when talking to a parent about their kid's behaviors - and "that golfer" you know who I'm talking about......

This is so true...

Yeah, the parent thing, is a kind of difficult thing to deal with, because the parents are supposed to control the kids behavior and might lose face to their kids if approached by someone else.

My rule for that is, if the parent is making an attempt to discipline their child, I usually don't say anything. If I felt an urge to say something it would be to the effect of "you should follow your parents...for your safety...etc...", or something to the parent like "Yeah, I have had this problem before..." even though I didn't. My son once smirked at me when I said this in the presence of a really unruly child. Then he reinforced what me and the parent were saying to the child. Of course the parent looked at me as if to say "Sure, you really had that problem..."

In any case, humor and good will have the best reaction from anyone.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Smokers. Hate them. Sorry, but watery and stinging eyes aren't ideal. Not to mention second hand smoke. Even outdoors. Smoking is prohibited at one of the ranges I use, several containers of butts are set in front of the ball dispenser machines, but people still occasionally light up. I give them a seriously dirty dirty look.

Off topic - I am constantly picking up butts in front of my parents' house. Her neighbors constantly drop butts and cigarette boxes in front of our sidewalk. A$$hole. There, that felt better.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Smokers. Hate them. Sorry, but watery and stinging eyes aren't ideal. Not to mention second hand smoke. Even outdoors. Smoking is prohibited at one of the ranges I use, several containers of butts are set in front of the ball dispenser machines, but people still occasionally light up. I give them a seriously dirty dirty look.

Smokers ... they are a dying breed ;-) .

I've seen guys smoking right next to No Smoking sign.   I have weak lung and end up coughing when someone smokes next to me.   So I will move (The last thing I want to do is confront a guy who can't read, just being a jerk, or both).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Which range do you go to? During the weekdays, I go to the Mission Hills range in Hayward during my lunch hour. Thankfully, whenever I go the rowdy kids go to the upper stalls to hit. It sometimes becomes bothersome when someone up their decides to "light up," but not to the point where I have to move or leave. Most of the time, I think nothing of it. There are some interesting characters at this range. The guy who talks to himself after each shot, the angry range rat, or there's a guy who lets out a HUGE grunt on his back swing. If someone decides to park at the stall next to me, I don't mind as long as you're not the guy who unwarrantedly talks to you about how a drill or video has helped you hit the ball further and you just want to pass on your success. That's probably the only thing that would bother me.

I go to MH at night and I keep to myself with occasional curse after a badly executed shot.

MH has one of everything: smokers, wannabe golf instructors, party goers, grunters, swearers (me, occasionally), cell phone talkers, ....   But most come to hit  balls and behave accordingly.  It's the party goers who can get really rowdy.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I go to MH at night and I keep to myself with occasional curse after a badly executed shot.

MH has one of everything: smokers, wannabe golf instructors, party goers, grunters, swearers (me, occasionally), cell phone talkers, ....   But most come to hit  balls and behave accordingly.  It's the party goers who can get really rowdy.

I used to go to the San Bruno range at night and experienced my fair share of these rowdy guys. Typically dressed in baggy clothes, only thing more offset than their clubs is their hat, and a bag full of canned beer. Sometimes they come in groups of 5 with a rickety old 360cc titanium driver that they all share one stall to hit.

The Mission Hills range is a decent range with a free short game practice area, which is desirable where I live. Every other range, you'd have to pay to go into the short game practice area.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

That bugs the crap out of me when someone at the range sets up shop right next to me. That limits the targets that Im comfortable aiming at if someone is that close. My mind goes into DONT SHANK mode. On crowded days no problem, but if the range is wide open then gimme a little space playa!

Is it possible that you could move away from the offending person(s)?

As long as they don't take the stall right next to me, I'm not too bothered by this.  I think it's kinda strange (what, do I smell really nice or something??) but I don't really care.  Maybe it's their favorite spot, or the perfect tee height, or if its a grass range, maybe it's got the next best patch of turf.

The headphones I could hear would be kind of annoying though, if I ever came across that.  (But I have not yet) :)

I find that usually if a guy plants himself nearby then he probably just wants to be social ... and I don't mind that. :)

Im glad I never go to the range...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!