IGNORED

club selection?

Note: This thread is 3744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently play 3 wedges (pitching wedge 46, 54, and 58 degree) i will be switching in december to a 52, 56, and 60 degree due to the huge gap i find myself in. should i play a hybrid or a five wood in my bag?. i hit a 4 iron 180 yards and a 4 hybrid about 200 and a 5 wood 220. if so which hybrid would you recommend because i think that would be a better choice.

I currently play 3 wedges (pitching wedge 46, 54, and 58 degree) i will be switching in december to a 52, 56, and 60 degree due to the huge gap i find myself in. should i play a hybrid or a five wood in my bag?. i hit a 4 iron 180 yards and a 4 hybrid about 200 and a 5 wood 220. if so which hybrid would you recommend because i think that would be a better choice.

Depends on what's currently in the bag. Do you bag a traditional 4-GW iron set? I'd dump the 5w and add a hybrid. My current setup is 4-GW, Driver, 3W, 3 and 4h or 18 & 21°, 54.5° SW and putter. I'm thinking about dumping the 4h for a 60°LW but my game is good enough to use my SW from 90 yards an in comfortably. While I love my Wilson D-100 4H I equally love my new vokey 60/08. I also game a 60/12 Carbite LW from time to time which is another fantastic wedge I own. I guess it depnds on the track you'd be playing and which clubs would best be utilized for the conditions and layout.

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5° Stiff :dunlop: 15° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

Tough to say, we need more information.  Do you currently have driver, 3 wood, 4-W?  Or do you have a 4 hybrid then it goes 4-W and you're wondering if you should add another hybrid or go with a 5 wood?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver, 3,4,&5 hybrid, 6-PW, AW, SW. Looking to buy a LW. I have a 3 wood in the bag but seldom hit it. A three hybrid is easier to hit than a 5 wood and the distance is almost identical.

Callaway X-Hot Driver

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 3,4,&5 Hybrids

Callaway FT I-Brid Irons and Wedges

Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Typically I carry driver, 3&5 wood, 4-pw, gw and putter. However, in my experience it depends on where you live and the courses you play. When I was in Oklahoma back in the day playing the OU course, I kept a 1 iron in my bag. The often high winds out of the south on that course required me to use that on a few holes where a fairway wood would just get hung up in 40+mph winds.  I've used to regularly play a shorter course in NM (par 70) where it didn't make sense to carry fairway woods...very few opportunities to use them (2X par 5s). If I'm only going to have only 2 likely holes to use a fairway wood, I won't even carry them. I was too inconsistent and having them in my bag made it too tempting. Now that I'm back in FL playing longer courses with more opportunities to use woods, I carry and use them.

Like I said, I think it depends on the typical courses you play and normal environmental conditions as to what to carry. My bag when playing in Oklahoma, the Texas panhandle or eastern NM is way different that when I'm playing in Florida.

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell

3/5 Wood: Adams Ovation

Irons: Cobra UFI

Putter: Titleist Dead Center, circa 1985

• 1 month later...

I think you need to take a good look at your distances with these clubs to determine where you may be better suited to fill distance gaps with. Personally I see absolutely no need to have 3 clubs jammed in 8* of loft. You may want to consider a GW at 50* and having your wedge bent to 45*, it's up to you but a 60* wedge just doesn't have enough benefits over a 58* IMO and lot's of guys here. Here's a thought have your wedges bent 1* each to 55* and 59*. Sounds like a 2 hybrid would replace that 5 wood at about 17* or 18*.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Assuming you are very confident with both I think the 4 hybrid. You can play more shots with it... Although I think it may be best to find a hybrid that splits the difference loft wise between the 5 wood and the hybrid but I dont know your gaps well enough to tell you for sure... Hope this helps

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

If I understand this, you're going to pull the pitching wedge from your bag and replace it with a gap wedge? If you thought you had a big gap before, that's nothing like the gap between a 9 iron and a 52. I'm not sure what your end goal is here or what your challenges are on the course, but I'd much rather have a pitching wedge in my bag than a 5 wood

If I understand this, you're going to pull the pitching wedge from your bag and replace it with a gap wedge? If you thought you had a big gap before, that's nothing like the gap between a 9 iron and a 52. I'm not sure what your end goal is here or what your challenges are on the course, but I'd much rather have a pitching wedge in my bag than a 5 wood

I think he was considering adding a 52 56 and 60 on top of his pitching wedge... not subbing. I may be wrong though...

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

Note: This thread is 3744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!