IGNORED

Trouble choosing clubs

Note: This thread is 3797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am sure I am not the only guy that has ever had this feeling, but I just don't know what to buy. I have been hitting a set of DCI 762's for I don't even know how long. 10 years maybe?

I finally stashed away enough cash to go buy whatever I want, but now that I am here I don't know what to get. I know what characteristics I am looking for in an iron, but there are just soo many options and everyone thinks a certain set or brand is the best and my head is spinning trying to wade through all of it.

I thought maybe going to the PGA Superstore and hitting all of them myself would help solve my dilemma but it didn't at all. I went there thinking I was going to hit the Speedblades and fall in love, but it really didn't play out that way. I am scared of having a gap between the Speedblade pitching wedge and my gap wedge and having to relearn all of my distances again.

All I want is consistent distances, forgiving mishits, and the less offset the better. I play a draw already and I don't need any help getting it to turn left. Not worried about working it and not worried about a thick topline. I want the ball to go straight and I want to know how far it is going to go and that is it. I subconsciously would probably prefer a gamer iron, but I really don't care. I just want to hit more greens.

If the damn club is pink and it helps me hit more GIR sign me up.

TLDR; I am looking for a straight, forgiving, and distance consistent iron so I can hit more greens and shoot better scores.

As a 5 HDCP, you might consider:

• Titleist: AP2 or CB
  • Callaway: XHot Pro or 2013 XForged (new XForged really something! First Callaway XForged version I could actually get airborne)

And, you want to get a fitting once you narrow it down to sets you like. Lots of shaft varieties for the above models.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, if you just wanted a general idea of what clubs are marketed towards the "better players" from each brand, I'll try and compile a bit of a list for you that others can add onto if they like.

Titleist

• AP2 (their "player's" cavity back clubs)
  • CB irons (the cavity back version of their blades might be an option, if your ballstriking is consistent)
  • MB/CB combo set (I've seen others use a combination set with musclebacks from PW to 7/8i and the rest are cavity backs)

Ping

• s55 (The new version of their "blades". Cavity backed, and you might get the old S56's on sale right now if you were interested)
  • i20 (A bit more forgiving than the s55 irons, but the i25's might come out soon. i20's might go on sale soon)
  • Anser (The only forged Ping offering. Falls a bit in-between the s55 and i20's, but closer to the i20's than not)

Callaway

• XHot Pro (These irons are about equivalent to the AP2's or i20's from what I've heard)
  • 2013 XForged (I believe these are a semi-progressive set, with slightly larger cavities in the long irons)

Taylormade

• Rocketbladez Tour (I've seen people playing these, and they appear to be decent. Lower lofts might mean a bit of a gap though)
  • Tour Preferred Cavity Backs (These irons are a bit more traditional with the lofts, but haven't seen many of them around)
  • R11 irons (These I've seen a few times. Heard they're forgiving, but haven't hit them myself)

Mizuno

• MP-59 (These irons are their version of a player's cavity back iron with the look of a blade. "Cavity" is in the form of a light Ti insert)
  • MP-54 (A bit more forgiving than the 59, but I haven't hit these)
  • MP-69/4 (If you want a true blade or can hit one. Beautiful feel but can be hard as nails to hit if you're at all inconsistent I found)

Nike

• VR Pro Combo (A combo set with musclebacks in the short irons and cavity backs in the longer ones. Other irons from Nike are SGI)

Cobra

• Amp Cell Pro irons (I believe these have a combo set to try out)

Cleveland

• 588 TT irons (Semi-forged iron that appears to fall into the "player's cavity" grouping with the AP2 and i20)

Adams

• Idea CMB irons (Cavity backed blades, marketed as cavity musclebacks)

That's about all of the ones I can think of, but there are probably more to look at. I just put down the clubs that are generally marketed towards better players, but not all GI irons are bad. I personally play Eye 2's still just because I feel that buying a new set of irons wouldn't really be cost effective and would be something best left for when it gets to cold to get out and play (so that you start the next season with them and warm up your game while also getting used to the new clubs).

Feel free to suggest any additions, as I can come back and edit this post for future reference if needed.

• Upvote 1

Nice list above --

Callaway is coming out with the Apex and Apex Pro - take a look before you buy

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Wow Pretzel thats an impressive list. I was not expecting a response that well thought through and with that much research. Thank you very much for putting that together. I actually have a set of eye 2's still. They need grips and they would be good to go. Your list has me considering going Mizuno. They seem to have a cult like following. I love Titleist but i personally think of everything titleist to be unforgiving even if its actually not.

Wow Pretzel thats an impressive list. I was not expecting a response that well thought through and with that much research. Thank you very much for putting that together. I actually have a set of eye 2's still. They need grips and they would be good to go. Your list has me considering going Mizuno. They seem to have a cult like following. I love Titleist but i personally think of everything titleist to be unforgiving even if its actually not.

I game Adams but have demo the mp 59's and I gotta say that's the direction I would go if I was going to make a change however KBS shafts are my preference also.

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!