IGNORED

Lob Wedge - Is it only useful in expert hands?

Skenny
Note: This thread is 3685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just got my first lob wedge. Historically, short irons have been the least crappy part of my game, but I can't strike the ball cleanly with this wedge. Seems the flat angle does away with potential ball-contacting surface.It's like paddling a boat with a machete. Does a 30 handicapper have any business with one in the bag? Thanks for feedback.i find it

I find the LW extremely  useful.

I get a kick out of those who dont use it and bash others who do.

Its like learning to snowboard rather than skiing.

You either dig it or not. And Im not saying that the only way to get down the hill.

Good to learn the both the oldtimer's method as well and see what's your percentage shot.

Keep trying the LW, like snowboarding , have to fall down a lot before you get it, but one you do you get it  , its a stok'ed feeling.

• 2 months later...

Update from OP on Lob Wedge:

Kept the club around and have had some fun "lobbing" at pins tucked behind greenside bunkers, from 15 - 35 yards. Gaining consistency, probably due in part to my proficiency at missing greens, and historical fondness of short irons.

The point about avoiding over-use is not lost on me. If I have any kind of surface to work with, I'll putt from 30 yards and in..........I'd use a pool cue if I could.

Update from OP on Lob Wedge:

Kept the club around and have had some fun "lobbing" at pins tucked behind greenside bunkers, from 15 - 35 yards. Gaining consistency, probably due in part to my proficiency at missing greens, and historical fondness of short irons.

The point about avoiding over-use is not lost on me. If I have any kind of surface to work with, I'll putt from 30 yards and in..........I'd use a pool cue if I could.

Sorry I'm a little late to this thread but I see its been bumped by Skenny ...

There's a lot of controversy surrounding "Lob" wedges ... Purists say, "its done more harm to the game than any club ever" ... ETC.

IMO they are very useful, fun & versatile ... I generally don't use my 60 or 64 degree wedges for full shots ... The 60* is for green side chipping/pitching and the 64* for sand & flop shots ...

I am by no means a great player, don't have an official handicap but average in the low 90's ... My playing partners are a bit better than I am and have been playing for 10+ years, I've only been playing for 4 ...

The thing I notice with too many people at this level of play is trying to flop/lob the ball at the pin ... I'm learning to become a better pitcher of the golf ball and get the ball on the ground quicker & act like a putt ...

Rob

Note: This thread is 3685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!