IGNORED

Implementing the corrections has totally messed up my game !!

golfdude71
Note: This thread is 3781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello folks,

I am a RH golfer. I went to an instructor couple of weeks back. He corrected the following things in my swing:

1) Grip. My grip was totally incorrect.

2) During the backswing my left foot was coming way off the ground. Also my right knee was swaying too much to the right with my hip turn. He asked me to feel my left feet on the ground during the back swing and not move my right knee.

3) My stance was too wide. He asked me to narrow it.

4) I was looking at the ball spot for too long after hitting the ball.

In trying to correct the above things, my game has totally collapsed. Earlier I was able to hit 50% good shots. But now when I try to correct the above things, I am hardly able to hit the ball. Is it normal to struggle like this initially when you are doing some corrections in your swing ? Should I be patient and continue to try and implement the above things in my swing ? Sometimes I feel like going back to my old swing which was incorrect in many ways, but I had reached a stable point where atleast I was able to play a game with someone. I am not able to do it now.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Implementing new changes is a long and arduous process. Especially when you are trying to make 4 changes at once. My advice is to try to be consistent with the grip and stance changes, even if they feel wrong at first. Then focus on one swing change at a time, i.e. work on keeping the left heel down and do some drills to get comfortable with it, then move on to the next fix.

The biggest thing is to stick with it. It's really tempting to revert back to old habits because the "feel" right. You just have to train your muscles to think the changes are what "feel" right.

Stick with it, and good luck.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's normal to take a bit of new work to make corrections.

He gave quite a list for a first lesson, likely the team here can comment on whether those are all basic enough or not to feed as a package.....

I like the instructor that picks one, maybe two things and gives drills to practice until next assessment.  Hopefully he gave you drills to use to correct the issues, rather than just "don't do it this way, do it this other way" and then sends you off to practice.  Targetted drills are great for muscle memory.

You should keep trying.  If it's not taking, then you might need him to break it down further and give specific drills for each of those things.

Bill - 

To OP, it is normal for anyone who attempts to make swing changes to struggle with the changes to an extent.

I would suggest working only at the range with the changes and only work on a single thought / change during a practice session at a time.

When you play on course, go through your normal pre-shot thoughts and then play your shot.

Then think about the results while you walk or ride to your ball.

Everyone goes through this process each and every day they play or practice.

I usually, forget the mistakes and work on making positive corrections.

In my 30 plus years of practice and play, it has always been a "Work in Progress"

That's why we love the game.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

OP, if you enjoy the game, at any level, then press on. If you can imagine magnificent betterment in your swing and overall game, get real, coz it ain't gonna happen. Once you become an ossified man, the golf game becomes a study in acceptance of personal failure. I know coz i'm there!!

Implementing new changes is a long and arduous process. Especially when you are trying to make 4 changes at once. My advice is to try to be consistent with the grip and stance changes, even if they feel wrong at first. Then focus on one swing change at a time, i.e. work on keeping the left heel down and do some drills to get comfortable with it, then move on to the next fix.

The biggest thing is to stick with it. It's really tempting to revert back to old habits because the "feel" right. You just have to train your muscles to think the changes are what "feel" right.

Stick with it, and good luck.

I agree especially the temptation to revert back to your old swing, I have been guilty of doing that. Keeping with what the instructors instruction will lead to better golf. Good luck

Note: This thread is 3781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!