IGNORED

Driving Irons?

Note: This thread is 6122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any of you carry driving irons, or 1-2 irons? I have an old King Cobra driving iron that came about before the king cobra II's (so maybe 10 years ago, it was my dads). I was just wondering if i might be wise to invest in a newer one, if it would make much of a difference. My game is a conservitive one, and therefore I often find myself hitting irons on tight par 4's, how ever I'm not that long of a hitter, so every yard helps, and if i could find a club that might benefit this, i'd get it

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

You could change to a hybrid, but how much distance that will add is unknown to me.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

I was actually wondering this myself. I found and old 1 iron in my shed with my old clubs my dad hit (before he got his eye2's, so that tells you how old this club is). Its a Northwestern, and looks like its only been hit a handful of times.

I haven't hit it yet, but i'm going to the range tonight to see what its all about.

I like my hybrid club, it was a nice edition to my bag, but my game is so inconsistent. Some days my irons are firing on all cylinder, and other days my woods/hybrids are. I guess i'm just looking for something that will give me some distance when the woods/hybrids aren't hitting too well.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

Yeah I mean, I do carry a 3 hybrid (19 degrees), but I don't consistantly hit it was straight as I hit my irons. With a perfect lie (sp), ie. tee box, I can hit 9/10 iron shots dead straight, where as I can hit the hybrid a bit further, but I'm less likly to hit my desired target.

In the bag:
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Funny, I was at the PGA Superstore last week and saw an old Wilson ProStaff 1i blade in the used bin for $14. Almost picked it up on a whim, as it looked damn near impossible to hit. Practically a putter! lol

I have a conventional 1-iron (Nicklaus Air Bear that I found in the bargain bin) that I sometimes bring to the range (it REALLY shows you where the flaws are in your swing) and also a more modern style driving iron Cleveland 18 degree LDI, http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/...4_2940crx.aspx .

The LDI is heck of a lot easier (forgiving)to hit but I admit I still have to grip down an inch to know where the the ball is headed since the stock shaft is so long (41 inches) and is a bit ungainly to control.

Bridgestone have a similar product called the J33 AirMuscle, https://www.golfcircuit.com/Bridgest...ns/__1682.html

Titleist also had a driving iron type product at one stage,
http://thesandtrap.com/archives/club...ybrid_iron.php

as well as Nike and premium manufacturers such as Fourteen,
http://www.mygolfclubreviews.com/list?cat=4

For the most part, I wouldn't recommend them to a mid-handicapper since while easier to hit than conventional long irons they're only a tad more forgiving than them (especially off the deck). If you're only using it off the tee and you're good with irons then what the heck, have a demo and see how it goes.

If I had room in my set, I'd carry a 2 iron, but hell, I don't even have room for a 3 iron. I hit my 3 wood and 3 iron Ping hybrid too consistent to switch it out for an iron, but I think I could control a 2 or 3 iron more consistent.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I carry a 2 iron that I use off of the tee a lot on short par 4's. I only hit my driver about 15 yards longer than I hit the 2 iron and I am much more accurate with the 2 iron.

For some reason golf has different me in terms of difficulty.

Everyone says long irons are the hardest to hit, but I hit them better than metals and about the same as my short irons.

230-240 yds, I'm money with the 2 iron :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

I took the driving iron to the range tonite, I was dissapointed to say the least. I hit my 3-iron around 185 yards, so I was thinking that I could probably hit it around 200 yards if I caught it square. Unfortunatly that was the problem, it wasn't forgiving at all. I'll have to continue to work with this at the range before it gets to make its debut. On a higher note I was able to hit my 3-W very good, which is a club I normally have trouble with.

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 6122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!