IGNORED

A future in Golf?

Anpe
Note: This thread is 3760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, this is the case.

I'm 42 and have played golf for one season, in this season I've gotten down to a 9 hcp. I've been offered a great settlement from my employer and I'm thinking that maybe i should start a new career in golf.
I'm not sure what direction to go though, club pro? (I've been a university teacher for eleven years) club maker, player... well

Any Ideas folks?

/A

I hear that working in the cart barn, running the mowers or washing dishes are the easiest ways to get into the *biz*

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, this is the case.

I'm 42 and have played golf for one season, in this season I've gotten down to a 9 hcp. I've been offered a great settlement from my employer and I'm thinking that maybe i should start a new career in golf.

I'm not sure what direction to go though, club pro? (I've been a university teacher for eleven years) club maker, player... well

Any Ideas folks?

/A

The big boom in golf course expansion seems to have come to a grinding halt, so there may be more club pros and retiring mini-tour players looking for a permanent home than there are new openings.

If you are a good teacher and have a real understanding of swing mechanics  and a knack for communication that in ways that work for lots of different people you might make a living as a teaching pro if you can find an assistant pro slot.  But from watching my local pro, I bet the job is pretty boring really.  You'll get a few real dedicated golfers that listen, practice and improve, but you will get a steady stream of people that haven't got a clue or the motivation of a freshman taking a pre-req course they don't understand the need for.  And please don't take offense, but there is a lot more sucking up to customers than a university professor is likely used to.

If I had tenure, I'd think twice about letting them buy me out..  Does your university have a golf program?  Maybe you could try coaching a bit first to get your feet wet.  They would probably take you on a volunteer basis and be glad of the help.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Not sure what it is about people that post rubbish like the second entry in this thread? Anyways, are you sure you want to take redundancy and commit to a sport you have only been playing a year? Surely you are still in the honeymoon phase eh? Also, as mentioned in the response above why not get involved in your uni golf programme and if there isn't one why not ask your employer if instead of letting you go they let you start a golf programme? You could then use that to get in with a local course? Also it could give you a look at the inside of the golf business from the financial safety of your current employer? NSC who knows, if you like what you see what's yo stop you taking this further in a few years outside of the university? Regards Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks That is good advice. Unfortunately we don't have a golf program at the university, but I'll look into the situation on the courses in the area where I live. Regarding being in the honeymoon phase, well you might be right, so it might be best to take it slow I guess. But thanks again :)

Note: This thread is 3760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!