IGNORED

Iron Set

Dan-W
Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

Im new to the game and looking to upgrade from my cheap dunlops to a good used set.

I have seen these three older sets online. Cobra gravity back, Titleist DCI oversize + and Maxfli revolution black.

Any thoughts on these would they be ok for a beginner.

Thanks

Yep any of those would be fine.  Kind of a blast from the past with those clubs lol

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey thanks for the reply, yea I assumed they were pretty old but figure they should be better than my dunlops. Any set a better option than the others they are all around the same price.

Hey thanks for the reply, yea I assumed they were pretty old but figure they should be better than my dunlops. Any set a better option than the others they are all around the same price.

Be sure to pay attention to the shafts that come in each. You'll want to make sure the flex is appropriate. If at all possible, hit them all before making a choice. If you can't, I would look around at local golf shops to see what they may have in your price range that you could demo before making a purchase.

Tyler Martin

Thanks for the good advice. I went to some golf shops but they only had new iron sets which were more than I currently wish to spend. So Im trying for second hand online sets

Thanks for the good advice. I went to some golf shops but they only had new iron sets which were more than I currently wish to spend. So Im trying for second hand online sets

Given you're new to the game, avoid buying online. As @geauxforbroke said, you need to pay attention to the shafts. And, you don't get to test online clubs before you buy.

Also, I'm not sure what golf shops you're visiting, but Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy and regional company Golf Discount all have used irons available from trade-in. And, they often have the "recipe" of the club - swingweight and shaft flex - to better fit you. Make sure you go to an actual golf shop and not Sports Authority or Dick's.

As for new irons and cost, you can always split the difference and get a "legacy" model from the different manufacturers. Callaway has the RazrX-NG (new grooves), which is a reissue variation of the 2012 RazrX, with a Uniflex shaft. Also, TaylorMade has a variation on the Burner 2.0 irons (reissue). These legacy models target the sub-$400 price point - Calla and TM can offer the lower prices because the R&D; expenses have already been covered, and they can shift the model to a durable, commodity-type iron.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Hi,

Im new to the game and looking to upgrade from my cheap dunlops to a good used set.

I have seen these three older sets online. Cobra gravity back, Titleist DCI oversize + and Maxfli revolution black.

Any thoughts on these would they be ok for a beginner.

Thanks

Check out the "Market Place" on this site.

Members here are more likely to be up front and honest about the equipment they have for sale.

I just scanned through listings and noticed several items which may interest you.

Good Luck, Club Rat

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!