IGNORED

Tips for my first time out?

Guest ShadowXOR
Note: This thread is 6100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guest ShadowXOR
I'm heading to the driving/chipping/putting range near me tonight to get in some practice with my fiance then tomorrow we're going to do a nine hole course that consists only of par-three holes. We're new and went driving/chipping/putting once last week. If we really enjoy ourselves we are going to get proper lessons. What are some general tips for us to make our nine holes as good as they can be without lessons? What should we practice tonight? I'm assuming mainly irons and putting because I doubt any par-three holes would require driving. Any tips on which clubs to particularly use? Should I get my hybrids involved? Any general swing tips for us? Thanks in advance!

What are the lengths? The best thing to do at the range is to get a distance for every club. For example, a 7-iron going 155 (me). Do this tonight and your experience will be much better.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Guest ShadowXOR
What are the lengths? The best thing to do at the range is to get a distance for every club. For example, a 7-iron going 155 (me). Do this tonight and your experience will be much better.

The only problem is that my range doesn't have yard signs, they just have target greens, I guess I could ask how many yards out the target greens are. Also what are some general rules of playing on the course, like etiquette towards other players? I heard something about taking the flat out of the hole so people know you are putting and when you put it back in they are good to go I think?

EDIT 1: Here is a link to the course I'm playing. Remember I'm only doing the nine holes that are all par-three. http://www.battlecreeklinks.com/ EDIT 2: I'm leaving for the range in just a few hours, please throw me a few tips on what to practice!

The best tip I could give without you knowing your distances for clubs is to only swing 90%. A lot of people try to kill an 8 iron to get to the hole when a 90% 7 iron would be and easier/better choice.

Also, don't aim at the pins, aim at the greens. For instance, pretend like the green is a pond and you just want to land in the water.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Keep your head down and down overswing. Theres alota shots you might take for granted, like small chips where you may peek a bit, it'll be more fun if you can hit the ball in the air :)

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Guest ShadowXOR
Keep your head down and down overswing. Theres alota shots you might take for granted, like small chips where you may peek a bit, it'll be more fun if you can hit the ball in the air :)

Keeping my head down helped a lot, I was standing completely wrong. I'm heading to the par-three course tomorrow and obviously I will open every hole with an iron not a driver, so is it hit off a tee, grass, or what?

I'm heading to the driving/chipping/putting range near me tonight to get in some practice with my fiance then tomorrow we're going to do a nine hole course that consists only of par-three holes. We're new and went driving/chipping/putting once last week. If we really enjoy ourselves we are going to get proper lessons. What are some general tips for us to make our nine holes as good as they can be without lessons? What should we practice tonight? I'm assuming mainly irons and putting because I doubt any par-three holes would require driving. Any tips on which clubs to particularly use? Should I get my hybrids involved? Any general swing tips for us? Thanks in advance!

Tips for your first time out? Just have fun!

Because you and your fiance are just starting out, you guys should enjoy it and don't think too much which clubs to use or whatever. Once you've gotten yourself into golf game, the only fun is when you play good.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

just have fun..... do your best and know your only going to get better.....

some of the basics
if your playing with others.......
turn off your cell phone...
don't talk or move around in the tee boxes while others are hitting.
if your ball is heading towards other players...YELL FORE.!!!!!
no one will ever curse you for yelling fore, but if you don't...look out
stop or pause while others hit to the green...
replace your divots or grass you dig up...
rake your sand traps...
repair your marks on the greens...
never walk or step on someones putting line..
furthest away putts 1st, and if there off the green
the pin stays in till there on the putting surface..
don't lay your bags or cart on the green...
have a coin or marker to mark your ball on the green.
count all your strokes and putts and be fair.. it will help you later.
the person with the lowest last hole has the rights to tee of 1st..
at the end of the round shake hands and say your thank yous....
save your scorecards so next time you will be able to compair them....

so have fun and
come back and let us know how you guys did.......

Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

Guest ShadowXOR
just have fun..... do your best and know your only going to get better.....

Thank you for the tips! So on a par-three course do you hit off grass, a tee, or what? I'm really confused about that, it seems like it would be difficult to hit the ball off a tee with an iron, but using a driving on a par-three seems like you would generally shoot over your destination.

just to take out the fear from trying to hit off the grass...
use a short or broken tee from the tee boxes and tee the ball just as if it was just up off where it might lie just on its own... this sometimes helps you to be able to get the club under the ball and get a good shot off.. tee boxes can get chewed up or beat down like dirt on a par threes.. so just getting the ball off the ground just a bit is a help to most beginers.... and there is usally alot of broken tees lying around to use or just use short new ones..

remember this rule...
a tee box area is from the markers on either side straight across and 2 club lenghts back from there.. so if the line where everyone usally hits is all beat up, you can use any area back 2 club lenghts to tee up your ball.. I always tee up about 2ft behind where everyone else hits just because its usally the better lawn or area back there...

SPONSORS......
PING

Guest ShadowXOR
just to take out the fear from trying to hit off the grass...

What is the official way to do it in the rules on par-three holes? Or do you have the option of either one?

What is the official way to do it in the rules on par-three holes? Or do you have the option of either one?

mmmmmm, which way or rule are you refering to......???

SPONSORS......
PING

Guest ShadowXOR
mmmmmm, which way or rule are you refering to......???

Do the rules make you hit off a tee with your iron on a par-three, from the grass, is it optional, etc.?

there are no rules as to that for par 3's as to your choice for tee's or no tee's.. it totally up to you. so if getting it up off the dirt or thin grass looks like its going to be easier to hit or helps you, take every advatange you can to help your golf game. hope that helps you...

SPONSORS......
PING

Guest ShadowXOR
there are no rules as to that for par 3's as to your choice for tee's or no tee's.. it totally up to you. so if getting it up off the dirt or thin grass looks like its going to be easier to hit or helps you, take every advatange you can to help your golf game. hope that helps you...

Is this the same for any hole? For any par-three? For special all par-three courses only? I'm kind of confused. :)

Arnold Palmer said that if you're given the opportunity to use a tee, than use it.... So, if I were you, I'd take his advice, particularly since you are new to the game. Hitting off the tee is a bit easier, and gives you a small measure of a "perfect lie" (how the ball sits on the ground).

I recommend getting Golf for Dummies -- don't laugh, its and easy introduction to many aspects of the game.... And Gary McCord keeps if light and humorous, which makes it easy to read.

Above all, don't take yourselves too seriously, and enjoy yourselves! Golf should be fun...

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

Congrats and welcome to a great game.
1) Throw out all expectation at the first tee.
2) Remember to have fun.
3) Take a lot of joy in your good shots. Remember even pros dont get it right everytime.
4) Enjoy putting.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Guest ShadowXOR
Well we've been to the range a few times and hit one par-three nine hole course. We found some cheap lessons here from a PGA certified teacher so helpfully that will help us out a lot.

When should we play our first 18? Should we rent a cart, just a bag carrier, or neither? How do you feel about private lessons vs. group lessons? I'm leaning towards group since they are much cheaper...and we're so new it seems the fundamentals would be easier learned in a group, and private lessons would be for perfecting my game when I actually know what I'm doing.

Note: This thread is 6100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!