• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lesterday

Where should I play in Denver Colorado

15 posts in this topic

I'll be there for a short vacation to participate in the new law the good people of Colorado voted on last year and would like to get a few days of Golf in. I was wondering what are some of the "must play" courses when visiting CO. So far Arrowhead looks pretty cool, has anyone played it, would you recommend it ? Also, What other courses do you suggest I play ? Thank you. Hopefully in the 60.00 or less range for a round. Any good food spots I need to try too ?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I'll be there for a short vacation to participate in the new law the good people of Colorado voted on last year and would like to get a few days of Golf in. I was wondering what are some of the "must play" courses when visiting CO. So far Arrowhead looks pretty cool, has anyone played it, would you recommend it ? Also, What other courses do you suggest I play ? Thank you. Hopefully in the 60.00 or less range for a round. Any good food spots I need to try too ?

When are you planning on being there?  Arrowhead is over $100 to play - last time I played there was several hears ago and it was $125.  It is a beautiful course though, so have a camera with you if you do play.

Other nicer courses in the immediate Denver area are Fossil Trace , Riverdale Dunes, Fox Hollow, Raccoon Creek.  My home course there is Foothills.  All of these except Raccoon Creek are actually municipal courses, but not your typical muni.

If you are there in the summer, there are some great mountain courses you can play, but the price goes up with them.  If you are planning a summer trip with more than one or two round, then you might look into the Colorado Avid Golfer Passport (you can Google it) to save some money on several nice courses.  Two rounds at Pole Creek, outside of Winter Park, will get your investment back.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These are north metro and offer a lot, long, challenging and well kept.

Legacy Ridge

Colorado National

Indian Peaks

The Heritage

Riverdale Dunes

If you have time to venture out of the metro area the coolest course I've played anywhere in CO is Mariana Butte in Loveland. A few par 3's have elevated tees that are roughly 90-100 feet higher than the green and straight down right on the side of the butte.

Whoops I'll be there March 8th through the 11th, then off to Dallas to visit family. Hope the weather is bearable that time of the year in CO. Thanks for the suggestions.

Probably be decent weather but the courses will still be dormant in March. I wouldn't go out of your way to golf in CO in March. The greens at the end of winter and heading into spring are a shaggy, dead, inconsistent mess. The holes will still be what they cut in Oct.

Whoops I'll be there March 8th through the 11th, then off to Dallas to visit family. Hope the weather is bearable that time of the year in CO. Thanks for the suggestions.

At that time some courses will be waking up from their winter nap.  Fox Hollow in Lakewood usually seems to green up faster than my home course of Foothills does, even though they are only about 2 or 3 miles apart.  The handicap season opens again on March 15, so the  courses aren't terrible in early March.  A lot can depend on precipitation.  Denver gets some of it's heaviest snows in March, but I've also had some great golf days in February and March, so all you can do is wait and see what the weather is doing a week or so before you come.

Could be a crap shoot around that time of the year.  Like FourPutt says, Denver usually gets a lot of snow March/early April time.  Even though it melts away within a day or two that time of the year, you never know when it will snow.

Some of the better courses (Bear Dance, etc.) and mountain courses probably won't be open, but courses mentioned by FourPutt and Dave2512 should be open as long as there is no snow.

In fact, most of the courses are open tomorrow (Saturday), so I will be out there early in the morning.  Well, most courses open around 9 AM during winter months...

Cool thing is daylight savings begins 03/09 so it will be light in the evening. Already staying light until 5:20ish. FWIW the best winter greens I played on last year was Coyote Creek in Ft Lupton and Riverdale. CC clips it close and tosses sand down early fall. I'd rather putt over snow flattened sand than the end of winter shag.

I wouldn't count on playing golf in the mile high city in march......there may be snow on the ground!!

It melts fast not to worry. Took me a 1/2 hour to shovel it from my driveway yesterday and it was 55 today. We'll be out tomorrow.

Yikes, some of these post are pretty discouraging. Really should have did my research before booking flights that early in March. Honestly figured it wouldn't be too bad, Guess I'm spoiled in Las Vegas. Played Stallion Mountain today with a short sleeve shirt on. Oh well, have to make the best of it I suppose. Hopefully its nice, but from the sound of things it may not be.

The greens will hard , but the grass will be smokin '! B-)

Lol I missed that he is coming out for the weed. You won't be worried about golf. Get off the plane and head to Lotus Medical in Lodo. Hopefully he booked a room at one of the Bud and Breakfast joints.

I wouldn't count on playing golf in the mile high city in march......there may be snow on the ground!!

I lived there for 40 years, and it's a rare year when I missed more than a day or two during March.  Yes there may be snow, but if there is it will be new snow, and fast melting.  Any persistent winter snow is usually gone by mid February.  The worst winters were the ones where it snowed heavily in late November or early December and it never had a chance to melt before the next storm added another inch or 2.  Even then, it would invariably be gone before the end of February.  The worst years I can remember my course was open for play by the last week of February.   Most Denver area courses are open for play all winter long if there is no snow cover.

Just a few weeks ago I posted pics of a day we were out when there was snow still on the greens. Last week about half the flags were frozen into the cup and it was 60 that day. I would guess the courses in the metro area are open at least 300 days a year probably more and they will be busy. It was 9 Wed morning it will be 62 today.