IGNORED

My Swing (Big C)

Big C
Note:Β This thread is 2593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Might be a bit more forward lean too. If you lean back (you appear to be leaning almost away from the camera, or not as inclined as Jason), that's almost the same as puffing your chest out. So check in a mirror that you're not too vertical and that you have a good amount of forward lean and curve. Your arms should have room to "hang" in front of your nipple, basically, without having to be forced out there too far.

That's a good point Erik. Shoulders may feel more "rounded" inward rather than puffing the chest out. Here's the quickie video, just showing you the differences in the left arm. Note how how I tuck my shirt and allow the left arm to hang more on top of my left pec.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent. Thank you both so much for the explanations and video. I look forward to practicing this over the next few days. Have fun at Goose Creek - bummed that I will be missing out!

Excellent. Thank you both so much for the explanations and video. I look forward to practicing this over the next few days.

Have fun at Goose Creek - bummed that I will be missing out!

Want to clarify something, in the video I exaggerated the left arm a bit too much. Left arm is a bit too rigid in my example. Wanted to make sure I got the point across. Couple examples of what it should look like. Left arms are "hanging" and covering the nipple.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

Updated videos as of this weekend. Erik and Mike, great advice on the setup. Covering my left pec/nipple has made my takeaway feel more consistent. I suppose that is a result of not having to take the club back "around" my chest. In any event, my misses with my irons have been much tighter. I still feel like my wrists break way too much immediately after impact, and my right knee is still kicking in. My next few range seconds are going to be focused on the "toes up" drill that Drew posted early in this thread. Any other thoughts or advice are welcome.

Side note, I was striking the ball great at the range that day, one of my best ball striking sessions ever. But I still feel like my swing is very reliant on good timing, and my driver is still a mess.

• Administrator
Side note, I was striking the ball great at the range that day, one of my best ball striking sessions ever. But I still feel like my swing is very reliant on good timing, and my driver is still a mess.

Pivot stalls a bit, yeah…

Did you drop your keys? :-D (Inside joke… :D)

Since you've worked with @mvmac , ask him what you do now - you may still need a bit of work on the same thing, or it may be time to move on to this video. We prioritize, and do it well, so be absolutely certain this is your new priority before moving on.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Thanks Erik,

While I haven't received any formal instruction from Mike (beyond the posts in this thread & a few tips during our October outing), his input is valuable and I would appreciate any thoughts he is willing to share.

Are there any specific drills I can use to improve my extension and pivot after impact? I've known this has been a problem for me for a long time. But somehow, I've had difficulty making the picture in my mind match the actual picture of my swing.

Updated videos as of this weekend. Erik and Mike, great advice on the setup. Covering my left pec/nipple has made my takeaway feel more consistent. I suppose that is a result of not having to take the club back "around" my chest. In any event, my misses with my irons have been much tighter. I still feel like my wrists break way too much immediately after impact, and my right knee is still kicking in. My next few range seconds are going to be focused on the "toes up" drill that Drew posted early in this thread. Any other thoughts or advice are welcome.

Really nice work with the set-up regarding the feet, knees and left arm, looking good. Now the hips don't move to the right on the backswing (left pic.

Agree with what you said regarding the right knee kicking in, heel raising too fast. Stalls the pivot, like Erik said, gives you that narrow cramped look in the followthrough.

I think the Followthrough Turning Rates drill is a great one for you to watch. When your thrusting pattern gets better, you'll see a change in that right foot/knee. In the next day or so I'll film the drill the way I want you to practice it.

Here's a preview. On the downswing, weight is transferring forward, pressure into the left foot. Going to use that to "thrust". Legs extend, belt buckle raises, arms are "stretched" out. Going to feel like you thrust but the arms don't get past sternum height. Going to feel very dynamic and explosive.

Recommend doing these swings without a ball first, just to get the feel.

Mike McLoughlin

So my finish should look like the pic on the left? Essentially an abbreviated follow through as I start to work on this?

So my finish should look like the pic on the left? Essentially an abbreviated follow through as I start to work on this?

For now I would make the practice swings "shorter" and let it bleed into your full swing.Β You really don't need to followthrough any more than the left pic (in my last post). Practicing like this will help you speed up the pivot. Make more sense when I film the drill.

Mike McLoughlin

Here's the drill, filmed it last week for another instructor. Note the thrust (legs extending, belt raising)Β and how my arms stay stretched and don't get higher than the sternum.

Also,Β I'm going to be at El Dorado this Saturday from about 10-3, stop by if you can and I'll go over the drill with you in person.

Mike McLoughlin

Great stuff, thanks again Mike.

I hit a small bucket at the range yesterday evening, using the pictures you posted. Good thing I was hitting off of mats, because I couldn't stop hitting fat! For me, that was a bit counterintuitive, since I would have guessed that the "thrusting" motion would have been more conducive to thin misses.

I look forward to practicing this drill this week and will definitely make time to come say hello at El Do!

• Administrator

I look forward to practicing this drill this week and will definitely make time to come say hello at El Do!

Definitely do that. @mvmac should have time for a 30-minute "mini lesson" if you want it, as well.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Great stuff, thanks again Mike.

I hit a small bucket at the range yesterday evening, using the pictures you posted. Good thing I was hitting off of mats, because I couldn't stop hitting fat! For me, that was a bit counterintuitive, since I would have guessed that the "thrusting" motion would have been more conducive to thin misses.

Kind of depends on what your issue is but it makes sense you might be catching them fat. Reason I suggested starting with no ball practice swings at first ;-) The thrust can actually help lengthen out the radius of the swing, meaning arms will bend or pull apart less. So how you "time" low point might be a little different at first.

Or you're not doing the drill right and thrusting while having the weight too far back :-$

Take some video if you can and I'll check it out.Β See yaΒ Saturday.

Mike McLoughlin

Take some video if you can and I'll check it out.Β See yaΒ Saturday.

Will do. I should have an opportunity tomorrow to take some videos.

I know this isn't perfect execution of the drill (my backswing and follow through are longer than I thought, and my wrists are still breaking more than I would like), but here it is anyway!

Good first attempt, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Mike McLoughlin

Get more into this Saturday but as you know that right heel comes off the ground too early, right knee sags, causing the weight to be too far back, can't really thrust from there.

Starts with the backswing, hips slide back a bit, head goes towards the target. Then on the downswing head goes back.

So the weight kind of gets "stuck" in right foot/toes of the right foot.

Going to feel like you'reΒ more "Zach Johnson" on the backswing and on the downswing you'll f eel like you "load" into your left foot/left quad much more.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks mike. That damn right heel sneaks up on me! I should have time to hit the range tomorrow to practice some more.

Note:Β This thread is 2593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!