IGNORED

Clearing hips through the ball

tylerjackie
Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys I am struggling trying to fix the hip rotation in my golf swing. I am a pretty good player but I do have the capabilites of shooting high scores due to my inconsistent hips. For some reason I am not able to clear my hips through the shot. At impact my hips are at the same spot they were at address. This issue not allowing my hands to fully release causing slices. Of course I am trying to get to the two cheek position at impact, any tips on how I can get to that position. Below I posted a video so you can see what I mean. Thanks for the help.

Which video specifically are you talking about?

Oh shoot, I thought I copied the single video. It's under Key #2, learn how to turn your hips like a pro...Sorry bout that..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The drill in the video looks very similar to the pump drill which I have done a lot of times and hasn't really helped. I'm going to try it again because I have no other options. Thanks you for your response, greatly appreciate it.

You could post your video in the  http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings forum for more insight. Good Luck, and your welcome.

The drill in the video looks very similar to the pump drill which I have done a lot of times and hasn't really helped. I'm going to try it again because I have no other options. Thanks you for your response, greatly appreciate it.

It's not just about doing a drill a bunch of times, but doing them in the right way to change the picture. Please see here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice/0_30

The key is to do the motions slowly until you start to ingrain the motion, then you can speed it up incrementally. It takes time to change an element of your swing; I've downswing pieces to be especially tough.

Also, the reason you slice is not because your hands aren't "releasing." You go shallow to steep in your swing, so you're likely coming over the top. The additional hand action actually contributes to your inconsistency because it adds a timing element.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Spine angle is usually the problems with amateurs preventing the pro clearing of hips. A pro has two slight drops in head position, one on backswing, one on downswing. Amateurs do exact opposite, their heads go up backswing and up again downswing most of the time. The upward head move destroys the spine angle and blocks proper hip rotation. The only way I found myself to keep the spine angle and fire hips was a conscious move to start diwnswing my pressing front foots heel solidly into ground, this squares the hips and then its just rotating the hips while you maintain the spine angle. At impact you need to be 45 degrees or more toward target with hips and your head is slightly lower than it was at address.

• Administrator
Spine angle is usually the problems with amateurs preventing the pro clearing of hips. A pro has two slight drops in head position, one on backswing, one on downswing. Amateurs do exact opposite, their heads go up backswing and up again downswing most of the time. The upward head move destroys the spine angle and blocks proper hip rotation.

By that logic, a downward moving head would "destroy the spine angle" as well.

The only way I found myself to keep the spine angle and fire hips was a conscious move to start diwnswing my pressing front foots heel solidly into ground, this squares the hips and then its just rotating the hips while you maintain the spine angle.

That doesn't happen. Weight continues to move forward and the hips continue to move forward. The downswing is not "just rotating the hips."

At impact you need to be 45 degrees or more toward target with hips and your head is slightly lower than it was at address.

Please demonstrate that you're more than a one-trick pony in future posts. You just keep saying the same thing. I've pointed out several times now that there are many PGA Tour pros anywhere from 20-60° open to the target at impact."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tour pros are usually 45+ degrees. A few short hitters may be under 45 degrees, just look at impact positions of these players over the years. All are 45+ degrees Couples Justin Bubba Tiger Jack Phil Palmer Player Trevino Floyd Snead Hogan Nelson Now , can you show quality tour pros under 45 degrees? I honestly don't know of any. As to pros lowering head, they do, it changes spine angle but amateurs tend to lift up and are close to standing upright at impact, so pros go lower by impact and amateurs usually go higher. Just look at the videos on this showing the top swings over the years, the top players move their heads down twice.

• Administrator
Now , can you show quality tour pros under 45 degrees?

I honestly don't know of any.

I'm also on my way to the SoCal get-together, so you'll have to wait for a detailed response.

Perhaps others will be able to share with you examples. I would agree, generally, that 40° or so is good (42° was tour average - AVERAGE, mind you - in one study I saw recently), but to say that all good players are 45°+ is simply too restrictive. Heck, if the PGA Tour average is 42°, then clearly a good number of players were below 45°.

Final point: one can't accurately measure this kind of thing via video camera, either.

Now, off to the event.

P.S. Curious that you chose not to address the other two points I made in response to your post.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hey guys I am struggling trying to fix the hip rotation in my golf swing. I am a pretty good player (4 handicap) but I do have the capability of shooting high scores due to my inconsistent hips. For some reason I am not able to clear my hips through the shot. At impact my hips are at the same spot they were at address. This issue not allowing my hands to fully release causing slices. Of course I am trying to get to the two cheek position at impact, any tips on how I can get to that position. Below I posted a video so you can see what I mean. Thanks for the help.

Videos: IMG_0430.MOV

Sorry to tell you this but you're going to need a better video. Also, maybe a Mod can help you format your original post better. From the little that I can discern from your vid, it looks like you're hips are moving a little towards the ball (humping the goat), which is not good. If you want info on what the hips are supposed to do check this thread: http://thesandtrap.com/t/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips

Colin P.

I have another video however the swing is a little different. I cut across the ball in this video but the hip motion is identical in the video. If you were to stop the video at impact, you would see that my hips are square at impact.

\

Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!