IGNORED

Contact point lower on Driver face=better drives???

Jspin
Note: This thread is 3714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing around at the range last week, I experimented with trying to make contact on the lower portion of the clubface just under the "sweetspot." The result was hitting consistent, penetrating fades with a relatively low ball flight. I picked up about 10-20 yards as well. I put this technique into play this weekend at a very tough course and drove the ball beautifully all day breaking 80. FYI, play off 12, strengths are my very accurate irons and short game. I'm so far held back by inconsistent driving and an occasionally balky putter. The driver is a Cobra Amp cell 10.5 set to neutral with stock stiff shaft but the technique works the same with a couple of other drivers I hit. Does anyone know why this is working so well? This goes against the often quoted instruction to hit the ball just above center to maximize launch angle and spin. As an added bonus I'm now able to use the "stacked" swing I've been using successfully with my irons and fwy woods off the deck. Previously I used a stack and tilt type swing off the turf, but had to use a more conventional setup and weight transfer with the driver with mixed results. I seem to recall an article or program recently where the analyst (Chamblee?) talked about using this technique successfully before the advent of modern large headed drivers.

If I hit low on my Razr Fit  9.5 stiff shaft, I lose distance, but get a lower ball flight. When I do manage to hit it on the sweet spot, I get a much higher ball flight and much more distance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Low launch, high spin is not the conditions for good drives. It's one of the few things that people pretty much agree on in golf.

They may go straighter - thin shots tend to. But you're better off hitting it at about 13-18° with 1700 - 3400 RPM spin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Low launch, high spin is not the conditions for good drives. It's one of the few things that people pretty much agree on in golf. They may go straighter - thin shots tend to. But you're better off hitting it at about 13-18° with 1700 - 3400 RPM spin.

Thanks Erik. Yeah, I'd agree the launch angle isn't ideal. While my average drive hitting it lower on the face was probably better due to consistency, I gave up the several long bombs a round I get from hitting the ball on or above the sweetspot. I think you've answered my question though with your observation that "thin shots go straighter." Maybe just do this on tighter holes when you just have to hit the fairway as a "go to " shot?

Note: This thread is 3714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!