• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

McIlroy A7-A8 dtl - is this excessive face rotation or just right?

11 posts in this topic

It's a long iron draw, looks just about right to me, not excessive. Wondering what others think. Hit the green in two with this, so can't argue with the result.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Yes - gonna have to reread that post.

@iacas I thought toe up at A8 was closed to the arc and not optimal?

We see all sorts of rates of rotation from PGA Tour players. It is closed to the arc, but throwing the club tends to do that, so you're more likely to see toe up at 8 than "angled hinging."

We see all sorts of rates of rotation from PGA Tour players. It is closed to the arc, but throwing the club tends to do that, so you're more likely to see toe up at 8 than "angled hinging."

I understand throwing the club, but what is "angled hinging?"

I understand throwing the club, but what is "angled hinging?"

Sorry, TGM terms.

Toe up at A6 is "open to the plane" but you see it in 99% of PGA Tour pros. It's fine. The act of throwing also tends to produce a rolling or closing face (above and beyond what would normally be required to "keep the clubface square to the plane").

@iacas - not sure what throwing is. It sounds like a less controlled let go(ing) of the arms and hands after A7. Is throwing a good or bad thing? Or just a thing?

@iacas- not sure what throwing is. It sounds like a less controlled let go(ing) of the arms and hands after A7. Is throwing a good or bad thing? Or just a thing?

It's just this, again:

It's just this, again:

When I first read this, I didn't "get" it as much as I do now, as I better understand TGM terminology and understand the geometry of the swing better. Makes me wonder - do you need to "understand", have an implicit feel for the motions and how they tie together before you can really get the most out of the above thread?

When I first read this, I didn't "get" it as much as I do now, as I better understand TGM terminology and understand the geometry of the swing better. Makes me wonder - do you need to "understand", have an implicit feel for the motions and how they tie together before you can really get the most out of the above thread?

I don't know if Phil Mickelson could tell you the first thing about TGM, so… I want to say "no" to that. :-)

Players instinctively "throw" the clubhead at the ball. So long as it's not "thrown" before impact, they can be quite good.