IGNORED

My Swing (Shindig)

Shindig

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd love to see some longer putts. And a closeup of the grip.

I'll get them.  How much longer?  

I'll also go today or tomorrow when there's sufficient sunlight so I don't have the issue with yesterday's end.  Are those videos okay lighting-wise?

I should be able to find someone to help me take a picture of me gripping the club shortly. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Here's a face-on picture of putter grip.  Would a down the line view help too?

putter_grip_06152018.JPG

Edited by Shindig
It's a picture, not a video; mistake in label, I didn't intend to take video though so that's not the error.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Here's a face-on video of putter grip.  Would a down the line view help too?

putter_grip_06152018.JPG

Thanks.

Why?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Thanks.

Why?

I didn't think it'd help, but just in case I figured I'd ask. 

(I assume "why?" is "why would you need a down the line picture?" and not "why do you grip it that way?" because I don't have an answer to the second question)

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

Why do you grip it like that?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Why do you grip it like that?

What I think I'm doing is gripping it lightly so my shoulders can propel it.  I think (from earlier in the thread) that I used to be a very wristy putter and this is a reaction to that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

Your hand isn’t even really on the club.

Yeah a grip like that would have the putter feeling extremely disconnected from my hands. Strange grip.

Would something like this be more advisable?  putter_grip2_06152018.JPG

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Would something like this be more advisable?  putter_grip2_06152018.JPG

Yes. Still don’t like how cupped the left wrist is.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes. Still don’t like how cupped the left wrist is.

Okay.  If I understand cupping (plus the quick Google search a moment ago to try to discern it), this means I should have my left wrist bent less backwards (or possibly flat).  I'm having trouble picturing just how to do that;  I think it gets a bit better if I stand tall over it.  I watched your "testing the T bar" video (linked previous page) to try to get a look at your putting grip and I don't see the difference.

Either way, though, if this is an improvement I'm going to start with this and go from there. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I watched your "testing the T bar" video (linked previous page) to try to get a look at your putting grip and I don't see the difference.

The shaft gets too vertical. It's a matter of degrees, but… well… here…

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay.  After yesterday's conversation, I went to a nearby practice facility and filmed a long putt, about 25-30', and a shorter one, about 10', from both angles.  From my SGP scores, I suspect something may be wrong mechanically with my putting, and I'd like to work on that, especially as it'd help with bead and speed (I am aware of what I need to do to improve read).

None of these videos reflect how I practice putting;  they're all meant to demonstrate my putting mechanics, placing those out for review. 

Videos are edited for length so I can show just the relevant parts (not the part where I'm at the camera, turning it off afterward, etc).

Long putt:

And the shorter putt:

-- Michael | My swing! 

Yeah from the very first video I can notice a TON of wrist and arm movement independent of the actual rotation of your shoulders.

Look at the left wrist in particular in the two screenshots I attached. It is changing angle drastically by the end of the putt.

Screenshot from 2018-06-16 22-37-54.png

Screenshot from 2018-06-16 22-38-07.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Oooh.  Yes, that appears to be the case.  I think that'd explain inconsistency in distance control?

-- Michael | My swing! 

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Oooh.  Yes, that appears to be the case.  I think that'd explain inconsistency in distance control?

Absolutely. I mean please take what I say with a grain of salt. I've only played golf for 2.5-3 years so I'm definitely not an expert, but I do have skill in breaking mechanics down since I was a college level tennis player and have worked with video plenty.

Also compare the length of your back stroke to that of your forward stroke. Sure the golf ball is forward in your stance as it should be but your back swing is REALLY short when you compare it to the length of the forward stroke. This can definitely mean you are still accelerating at the time of contact which is not a good thing for distance control.

Here is a good thread on that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

What @Grizvok said.

Thank you @Grizvok -- I'm going to work on that.  

-- Michael | My swing!