IGNORED

What are Your Thoughts on Component Clubs?

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played 9 with the Geek 10.5 FS3. Very forgiving, maybe the most forgiving driver I have hit. Not sure because I was making better than usual contact today. But I hit 7 of 7 and even the obvious mishits traveled far and in the intended direction. The sound is muted but very cool. Geek FS3 is a winner.

Yeah, and another thing, you made better contact today you said, 7 out of 7, and it's very forgiving! This is exactly what I feel! It's gotta be the shape of that head, it's a 460 but just doesn't look it! The deep face just can't miss! It's basically a point and shoot club, you'll understand what I mean when I say it makes me ooze confidence!

Gaz Lee

I agree it looks good, not too big and I didn't feel like I was going to hit it off line. I hit one drive that felt like it could have been a big slice but ende up a slight push that hit the right side of the fairway. Will try it again today. So far impressed considering I paid $99. Oh yeah I found I had to tee it up a little higher. Seemed like I got the most distance if the ball came off the face just higher than the center.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always tee up so a third of the ball is above the head, I did try half a ball but got balloons too often, but I do use 12* lofts, but yeah, the sweet spot does appear to be slightly above centre! Did you dig the temporary impact mark it leaves on the face? Built in impact tape!!! It's something to do with the coating, lastted about 6 months then wore off, but it's helpful to start!

Gaz Lee

I always tee up so a third of the ball is above the head, I did try half a ball but got balloons too often, but I do use 12* lofts, but yeah, the sweet spot does appear to be slightly above centre! Did you dig the temporary impact mark it leaves on the face? Built in impact tape!!! It's something to do with the coating, lastted about 6 months then wore off, but it's helpful to start!

Yeah I saw the marks, my BT Grenade does that too. Getting ready to head out soon and see what today brings. I ordered a DCT 3w and NV Pink 65 earlier so that should be here next week. If the DCT fairways are forgiving like the FS3 I will be very happy.

Not sure many clubs are as forgiving as this, But I have found the NB & DCT to be very forgiving also! It must be the head shape as they're quite similar, I just love the shape, it's kind of the old traditional shape, which is why I think it looks smaller than most 460cc's, I don't find the fw's are as forgiving tbh, but my fw shots are inconsistent, good days bad days! However, they launch REALLY well when hit on good days, I need to spend some quality time with them! I'd be interested to hear your views on them if you would?

Gaz Lee

I'm with the :geekgolf: program. On my second DCT driver (1st cracked - replaced F.O.C.) and I really like the fairway woods as well. Mess about with a few fairway woods but, tbh, the DCT driver is as good a head as I've ever hit. Fairly traditional shape, deep-faced and 440cc (looks even smaller with its deep face). In fact, the current invocation I have in the bag of 10.5° with a lovely Graphite Design YSQ shaft is a bit of a revelation for me. Low spinning before it became the OEM rage and surprisingly forgiving. Great clubs - what's not to like?

Originally Posted by Hardballs

Haha I like your style! If your in the uk im selling my geek 3 wood, mint condition, they're great also but I only ever use my 5w!

The bomtech is on my list also! Although it don't look as nice the geek heads!

Re. your No Brainer, above, pretty sure this isn't legal for competitions...

As for component irons, I'd happily play Maltby, KZG (their Z0 blades are to die for), Wishon, Snake Eyes, Alpha, Raven, Orka etc etc. Not really in it for resale - just want good clubs to actually play with. If that happens to be component clubs at any given time, so be it.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I'm with the :geekgolf:  program. On my second DCT driver (1st cracked - replaced F.O.C.) and I really like the fairway woods as well. Mess about with a few fairway woods but, tbh, the DCT driver is as good a head as I've ever hit. Fairly traditional shape, deep-faced and 440cc (looks even smaller with its deep face). In fact, the current invocation I have in the bag of 10.5° with a lovely Graphite Design YSQ shaft is a bit of a revelation for me. Low spinning before it became the OEM rage and surprisingly forgiving. Great clubs - what's not to like? Re. your No Brainer, above, pretty sure this isn't legal for competitions... As for component irons, I'd happily play Maltby, KZG (their Z0 blades are to die for), Wishon, Snake Eyes, Alpha, Raven, Orka etc etc. Not really in it for resale - just want good clubs to actually play with. If that happens to be component clubs at any given time, so be it.

No Brainer not conforming?? I had no idea! In every loft? I had heard the dct was not conforming but only in certain lofts? Something to do with the hosel angle/measurement or something? Not the cor! All mine are 12* and I was led to believe they're fine? And yeah, I have never bought clubs with a view to resale price, that would put TM at the bottom of the pile and I use the rbz! I'm struggling with my dct 3fw, the 5 is fine! But the 3 is very unpredictable, I think it's partly the shaft but mainly Me! I have the same shaft in both, the 3w@ 43" and the 5w@ 42" , I'm seriously considering taking half inch off the 3 though, see what happens!

Gaz Lee

No Brainer not conforming?? I had no idea!

In every loft? I had heard the dct was not conforming but only in certain lofts? Something to do with the hosel angle/measurement or something? Not the cor! All mine are 12* and I was led to believe they're fine?

And yeah, I have never bought clubs with a view to resale price, that would put TM at the bottom of the pile and I use the rbz!

I'm struggling with my dct 3fw, the 5 is fine! But the 3 is very unpredictable, I think it's partly the shaft but mainly Me! I have the same shaft in both, the 3w@ 43" and the 5w@ 42" , I'm seriously considering taking half inch off the 3 though, see what happens!

http://www.randa.org/en/Equipment/Equipment%20Search/Conforming%20Drivers.aspx?manufacturer=Geek%252bGolf&model;=Dot%252bCom%252bThis&action;=search

Should be conforming if it's included on the list. I'm not sure if your exact model is there, but for the most part they look conforming.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Phew! mine are safe, so are the dct, apart from the dct 511 special edition, only the 12* lift is conforming on that head, all other lifts are not, I know it's something to do with a measurement from the hosel though, and only the 12* passes! Strange!

Gaz Lee

No Brainer not conforming?? I had no idea!

In every loft? I had heard the dct was not conforming but only in certain lofts? Something to do with the hosel angle/measurement or something? Not the cor! All mine are 12* and I was led to believe they're fine?

And yeah, I have never bought clubs with a view to resale price, that would put TM at the bottom of the pile and I use the rbz!

I'm struggling with my dct 3fw, the 5 is fine! But the 3 is very unpredictable, I think it's partly the shaft but mainly Me! I have the same shaft in both, the 3w@ 43" and the 5w@ 42" , I'm seriously considering taking half inch off the 3 though, see what happens!

Whoops! Just goes to show one should check facts like this before posting! Sorry about that. USGA confirms No Brainer is OK ( https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfClub/conforming_golf_club_results.asp ). R&A; site doesn't list the No Brainer in its Non-conforming List so looks OK. Think I was getting in a tangle with the LB 130...

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Whoops! Just goes to show one should check facts like this before posting! Sorry about that. USGA confirms No Brainer is OK ([URL=https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfClub/conforming_golf_club_results.asp]https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfClub/conforming_golf_club_results.asp[/URL]). R&A; site doesn't list the No Brainer in its Non-conforming List so looks OK. Think I was getting in a tangle with the LB 130...

No worries! Yeah, I heard a rumour that the non conforming dct 511 heads where then re finished and sold as the LB130, they do look identical apart from the colour scheme!

Gaz Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Finally received the Geek DCT 3w I ordered, man they were slow with getting it shipped. Bought it on ebay, should have just got on the phone and bought direct from Steve. Haven't hit it yet but looks real good.

My experience so far with component clubs has mainly come from ordering from Gigagolf, where I've gotten irons, hybrids, wedges, and fairway woods and I've been absolutlely amazed at the quality for the price.  Also have an Acer driver and 3 wood made by Hireko which are OK, bought cheap as preowned clubs.

I especially wonder when I see people complaining of quality problems with some of the brand name stuff, whether quality from some of these smaller manufacturers isn't sometimes better.  The cheapest brand name stuff is still much more expensive, and yet they seem to be cutting corners in some cases on the quality of some of the components.  To me, you know when you order from a component builder that you can get the exact fit you want, and your choice of quality shafts and grips. So it really comes down to the quality of the heads.

And of course there is some low quality component stuff out there as well. Some stuff with too cheap shafts and grips, etc, made to look like brand name stuff but not perform like it.  You have to do a little research and read reviews, find out what other people are happy with. But there do seem to be a number of custom component builders out there with lots of satisfied customers.

Finally received the Geek DCT 3w I ordered, man they were slow with getting it shipped. Bought it on ebay, should have just got on the phone and bought direct from Steve. Haven't hit it yet but looks real good.

And......... Do tell me your thoughts!!

Gaz Lee

And......... Do tell me your thoughts!!

Love it, getting ready to order a 5 and 7 and ditch my AMP Cell hybrids. Probably will be hitting the DCT more than my FS3 from the tee when getting the ball safely in play is necessary. We have a 480 yard par 5 that plays uphill. Last night I hit the DCT twice and was putting for eagle. Pretty much anything Steve Almo makes is gold. I ordered it with the Aldila NV 65 Pink and put a purple grip on it, looks rad. Even the Geek head covers are high quality. I don't think I'll ever buy an off the rack driver or fairway again.

All the original DCT are conforming. DCT 551 non in all lofts except 12*, it is conforming. Any questions just call Steve Almo. He'll be more than happy to answer any and all questions about his products which are 2nd to none imho. I'm sure he'd also be willing to talk on other subjects too. He's a great guy.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Love it, Even the Geek head covers are high quality. I don't think I'll ever buy an off the rack driver or fairway again.

These are my thoughts too! The idea of spending over £300 on the latest driver, as good as it may be, seems silly when i can get 3 x custom fitted geek drivers with lifetime guarantees for the same price! But most importantly... They just work!

Gaz Lee

I built a set of forged Snake Eyes clubs two years ago.  Built the 5 iron first expressly for the purpose of convincing myself that I could hit a forged, thin-line club.  Absolutely loved it, built PW-6 iron and love them all.  Had a chance to hit some Mizuno's at a Demo Day and hit the MP54 and MP64 irons.  Honestly couldn't feel any difference from my irons.  Not familiar with the brands mentioned on the thread but will definitely check them out.

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!