IGNORED

Teeing the ball low makes it more straight?

Note: This thread is 6096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was watching a Golf tips @ some Golf News. The pro advice is to tee the ball low to get your drive straighter. Is this true?

I always use a high tee to get more distance and high trajectory.... but it always goes right, Fade or 1/2 slice....
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

I haven't heard that, it could be simply that you are either holding the club face just a bit open or I have read that a more flexible shaft will also contribute a fade or slice issue.

i think teeing the ball low yes can make it a bit straighter. Sometimes with my driver which has 9.5 degree loft, i tee it up pretty low, about a large 3 inch tee half way into the ground. I hover the club and try to hit the top of the ball, usually i cant hit dead top but it ill hit slightly top and it will soar straight and medium height. Works like a charm, although i rarely do that.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

There was an article in one of the golf magazines last month where they did a test w/ a variety of handicap's and tee heights. For all the handicap groups (I think it was 0-10, 11-20, 20+), teeing the ball higher gave more carry, more total distance, and less dispersion (straighter). They tested 3 tee heights - I forget what the low one was. The middle one had the middle of the ball even w/ the top of the driver. The high one had the something like the top 3/4 of the ball above the top of the driver. (This is all from memory so don't quote me on the details...)

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

I remember hearing Ken Venturini stating that whenever he was having a problem with drawing the ball to much, he would tee the ball lower.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

I think both the swing type and ball height are good points. If you see by the link keb gave us, Majority of the low ball hitters that tee it up low are more accurate while the high tee ball hitters tend to be less accurate. But not all, which I think comes down to some swing types may or may not be affected buy the height as much as others.

I agree to J_Bone that it comes down to the swing types that decides the draw/fade factor in your ball path. I too read the article and started teeing up the ball above the club head, which is working out very nice for me. I used to hit alot of topped shots that rolled to about 100 yards, but now i'm making solid contact regularly. With a slight improvement in swing plane and teeing the ball high, I've also noticed a big difference in my driving yardage. I was hitting about 240-250 yards on a good contact with the ball teed low, now I'm getting 260-270 regularly with the ball teed above the club head. Those distances are not actually on fairway most of the time, but that's something i have to work on... well I still am getting very nice distances though so I'm happy. =P

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

Ya, maybe. It hasn't worked for me when I tried it a few months back.
I tee it in the middle for the most consistent contact for me.

I was watching a Golf tips @ some Golf News. The pro advice is to tee the ball low to get your drive straighter. Is this true?

Works for me. When I tee the ball high, I hit driver; lower, I hit a 3Wood. Lower, hybrid. Lower, iron. Sure enough, ball seems to go straighter with I hit the clubs to correspond to a lower tee (No, I don't tee the ball then decide club.) Seriously, I think it makes sense, if you can hit off that lower piece. I end up hitting worm-burners when I tee my driver too low.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Higher on the club face equals more distance and less spin!

In My Bag:

Driver: Burner Driver 9.5 (UST Proforce V2 Stiff 76g)
3 Wood: Rescue TP 14.5* (Stock 75g Stiff)
2 Iron: G10 Hybrid (Ust Proforce V2 85g High Launch Stiff)Irons: X- Forged (Rifle 6.0 Shafts)Wedges: 248.06, 252.08, SM56.10, SM60.04Putter: 9 XG Ball: TP BlackBag: Ozone Stand...

Note: This thread is 6096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!