IGNORED

Symetra Tour Catch-All Thread

RandallT
Note: This thread is 3105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This Big Break season, it dawned on me that most of the best women big-breakers play on the Symetra Tour. This year, I've actually enjoy watching them compete here on this tour after their time on Big Break is over. Symetra Tour is kinda like the real-life Big Break, and win-or-lose on the show, they've gotta make it on Symetra if they truly expect to make it on the LPGA. Anyone can win Big Break (well, not really, but you get the point), but you've gotta prove it day in and day out, if you really want to advance up.

This week's tourney is in Sarasota. Leaderboard here:

http://www.symetrascoring.com/public/Leaderboard.aspx#

Snapshot here:

T3 usa ALVAREZ, Anya -1 F -1 71 71
T6 usa TALLEY, Emily 11 E F E 72 72
T6 usa STOELTING, Jackie 8 E 5* E
T6 usa WOODS, Cheyenne E 4* E
T6 usa PARKS, Sadena 19 E 1 E
T31 usa FISH, Shannon +1 1 +1
T71 usa COLLINS, Taylor +3 F +3 75 75
T82 usa KENOYER, Stefanie +4 F +4 76 76
T82 usa BLACKWELDER, Mallory 21 +4 6 +4
T105 usa O'NEAL, Blair +6 F +6 78 78
T122 usa SKIDMORE, Renee +8 F +8 80 80

I added Cheyenne Woods, just for fun.

Are there any other Big Breakers this week?  I've only followed the last 3 or 4 Big Breaks, so I'm not even familiar with Blair O'Neal or Anya Alvarez.

If we have any general comments on the Symetra Tour in general or its weekly tourneys, we can use this thread.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You missed Mary.

Ah, yes, how could I do that!?

Nice going Sadena.......+6 through 6 holes.....

Mary shot 77, Renee shot 80, yeah, its not pretty.....

Ouch.

Here's latest. The number in the first column to the right of their names is their rank in the Volvik "Race for the Card."  Looks like Big Breakers are ranked Jackie (8), Emily (11), Sadena (19), Mallory (21) at the moment to move up to the LPGA.

T3 usa ALVAREZ, Anya -1 F -1 71 71
T9 usa TALLEY, Emily 11 E F E 72 72
T9 usa WOODS, Cheyenne E 5* E
T28 usa STOELTING, Jackie 8 +1 7* +1
T54 usa FISH, Shannon +2 2 +2
T71 usa COLLINS, Taylor +3 F +3 75 75
T88 usa KENOYER, Stefanie +4 F +4 76 76
T94 usa NARZISI, Mary +5 F +5 77 77
T94 usa BLACKWELDER, Mallory 21 +5 7 +5
T109 usa O'NEAL, Blair +6 F +6 78 78
T109 usa PARKS, Sadena 19 +6 6 +6
T128 usa SKIDMORE, Renee +8 F +8 80 80

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Update: Sadena has shot 44 on her front nine. (+8) OUCH! How is she going to win Big Break like this?

If she is going to win BB, she already has. How she is playing now is irrelevant.

You could put Selanee in there too.

Thanks- I didn't know about her. I found this link though--> http://www.symetratour.com/golf/blogs/big-break.aspx  (has a good list with pics and notes which Big Break they were on).

If she is going to win BB, she already has. How she is playing now is irrelevant.

Yes, I think that was tongue-in-cheek by @bobbob :-)

Here's the full leaderboard with all the past BBers. My last time, I swear! Hang in there, Sadena. I thought she might be paired with Jackie, but I think they are on opposite 9's, even though same holes completed.

T4 usa ALVAREZ, Anya -1 F -1 71 71
T10 usa TALLEY, Emily 11 E F E 72 72
T10 usa HENDERSON, Selanee E F E 72 72
T20 usa STOELTING, Jackie 8 +1 12* +1
T45 usa COLLINS, Taylor +3 F +3 75 75
T45 usa FISH, Shannon +3 8 +3
T65 usa KENOYER, Stefanie +4 F +4 76 76
T65 usa WOODS, Cheyenne +4 11* +4
T79 usa NARZISI, Mary +5 F +5 77 77
T79 usa BLACKWELDER, Mallory 21 +5 14 +5
T79 usa BROWN, Sara +5 13* +5
T99 usa O'NEAL, Blair +6 F +6 78 78
T108 usa TANAKA, Maiya +7 F +7 79 79
T117 usa SKIDMORE, Renee +8 F +8 80 80
T117 mex ALVAREZ, Lili +8 F +8 80 80
T129 usa PARKS, Sadena 19 +9 12 +9

My Swing

Thanks- I didn't know about her. I found this link though--> http://www.symetratour.com/golf/blogs/big-break.aspx  (has a good list with pics and notes which Big Break they were on).

Sorry, but some of the players on that list have played very few events or have never even played a Symetra tour event at all....

For example:

Fiamma played one event 2 years ago

Kristi never played a Symetra tour event

Meghan Hardin never played a Symetra tour event

McKenzie Jackson never played a Symetra tour event

Kelly Villareal never played a Symetra tour event

I really beginning to doubt some of the things the Symetra tour is releasing. First the bad stats, then this....

Here's latest. The number in the first column to the right of their names is their rank in the Volvik "Race for the Card."  Looks like Big Breakers are ranked Jackie (8), Emily (11), Sadena (19), Mallory (21) at the moment to move up to the LPGA.

I'm surprised that Emily is ranked that high and that she's ahead of Shannon Fish. Fish seemed like she was a much better player than Emily.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm surprised that Emily is ranked that high and that she's ahead of Shannon Fish.

Fish seemed like she was a much better player than Emily.

For all the crap Emily Talley got she seems to be playing better than most of the BB girls.

Emily Talley is actually a decent player on the Symetra tour, she has had far better results than just about every Big Breaker currently playing on the Symetra tour, maybe except for Jackie. She seems to be one of those players who doesn't handle pressure very well though, her play on Big Break was very sub-par although her team scraped away with victory because Doleman just downright didn't know how to play golf.

Kind of reminds me of Rick Cochran, actually. Rick is actually having some success on the PGA Tour Latinoamerica--he has had three second place finishes ( in 150-player fields ) in like 5 tournaments.

I'm surprised that Emily is ranked that high and that she's ahead of Shannon Fish.

Fish seemed like she was a much better player than Emily.

Shannon has only played 2 events so far, so it's early in the year. A good finish or two and she will shoot up the standings, I'd think.

On some other thread, someone mentioned the Cactus Tour. Here is their schedule and results . Shannon Fish won the event in mid-February, so she does know how to win. That event had some decent players for that level of golf. I see Kendall Dye in that field that Shannon won (who is in 2nd for the Race for the Card) and a gal named Therese Koelbaek.

In fact, I see Therese Koelbaek has won 3 Cactus Tour events this year and is in a T4 this week on the Symetra Tour event, one of the 7 of 141 players under par so far. She looks like someone to watch, because she is just healing from back surgery and seems to know how to win. Here is her blog where she writes about her journey . Kinda fun to watch people on the cusp of success to see how they deal with the pressure. Kinda why it's fun to read that "Caddy" thread with Sam Yi here. Or the "Operation Single Digits" :)

The Cactus Tour looks fun too, because it has the second tier BBers. I see in the last event that Kristi O'Brien almost won . She shot a final round 77 to finish T7 (4 shots back of winner). But doing the math, I think she was likely in the final pairing going into the final round. Tonya and Lindsay from BB FL were in that field too, but finished middle of the pack or worse.

My Swing

Anya Alvarez 71

Emily Talley 72

Selanee Henderson 72

Jackie Stoelting 75

Taylor Collins 75

Shannon Fish 76

Stefanie Kenoyer 76

Mary Narzisi 77

Mallory Blackwelder 78

Blair O'Neal 78

Maiya Tanaka 79

Sadena Parks 80

Sara Brown 80

Renee Skidmore 80

Lili Alvarez 80

Avg Score: 76.6

not good...

But the courses are harder than the Cactus tour courses, that's for sure.

Yah, not good, but at least there are some decent performances from the BBers.

6 BBers made the cut: Anya, Taylor, Selanee, Emily, Mary, Jackie.

9 missed.

Looks like a tough course with only 7 under par after two rounds.

I don't know Anya or Selanee, but I did watch Taylor and Emily in their BB seasons. Great to see them do well!

Kudos to Mary, who has played the best of everyone on BB FL. Honestly, I never thought it was in her to beat Jackie, Sadena, and Renee over 36 holes.  She is up on Jackie by 2, Sadena by 4, Renee by 12- on what appears to be a tough course for the field.  Obviously, she's better than I gave her credit for.

T8 usa ALVAREZ, Anya E F 71 73 144
T16 usa COLLINS, Taylor +2 F 75 71 146
T16 usa HENDERSON, Selanee +2 F 72 74 146
T44 usa TALLEY, Emily 11 +6 F 72 78 150
T44 usa NARZISI, Mary +6 F 77 73 150
T63 usa STOELTING, Jackie 8 +8 F 75 77 152
T73 mex ALVAREZ, Lili +9 F 80 73 153
T79 usa KENOYER, Stefanie +10 F 76 78 154
T79 usa PARKS, Sadena 19 +10 F 80 74 154
T96 usa FISH, Shannon +11 F 76 79 155
T96 usa O'NEAL, Blair +11 F 78 77 155
T104 usa BLACKWELDER, Mallory 21 +12 F 78 78 156
T128 usa BROWN, Sara +17 F 80 81 161
T132 usa SKIDMORE, Renee +18 F 80 82 162
WD usa TANAKA, Maiya +7 79 79

Makes you realize that even the top players on the BB episodes are not necessarily the players "most deserving" of a break into the PGA/LPGA. There are a TON of other good players who want that break and they're battling hard week in and week out. They just don't want to deal with a TV reality show to get the exposure. The lower echelon of players in the Big Break FL, in retrospect, were just kind of silly (Dallas, Courtney, Lauren, for example). They never ever had a chance, but they were fun for a few episodes to tease us along as we sifted through the talent. Anyway, I find it more interesting to see how these tournaments go, and I'm not really too sure it matters who actually wins the season- other than just the fun of that competition.

But back to the Symetra Tour (this is not a BB thread!), I'm pulling for Therese Koelbaek , currently T2. She's a pretty good golf-blogger!

My Swing

The overall average of 76.45 just isn't going to cut it out here.

Also, this seems to be a "fluke" performance by Mary, her other results outlined below. The fact that she needs a "fluke" performance just to average 75 says it all....not impressed. Below I compare Jackie, Renee, and Mary over this tourney and the last two. (Sadena did not play them)

Mary's last three tournaments+this one:

Florida's Natural Charity Classic 80-80

IOA Golf Classic 75-84

This Tournament 77-73

Jackie:

Florida's Natural Charity Classic 70-70-71

IOA Golf Classic 70-74-73

This Tournament 75-77

Renee:

Florida's Natural Charity Classic 79-76

IOA Golf Classic 74-71-77

This Tournament 80-82

Overall Avg

Mary 78.2

Jackie 72.5

Renee 77.0

Clearly, Mary's performance was a streak and even factoring this good performance her scores are still far worse than Jackie and even Renee, who has played pretty poorly in her own right.

The overall average of 76.45 just isn't going to cut it out here. Also, this seems to be a "fluke" performance by Mary, her other results outlined below. The fact that she needs a "fluke" performance just to average 75 says it all....not impressed. Below I compare Jackie, Renee, and Mary over this tourney and the last two. (Sadena did not play them) Mary's last three tournaments+this one: Florida's Natural Charity Classic 80-80 IOA Golf Classic 75-84 This Tournament 77-73 Jackie: Florida's Natural Charity Classic 70-70-71 IOA Golf Classic 70-74-73 This Tournament 75-77 Renee: Florida's Natural Charity Classic 79-76 IOA Golf Classic 74-71-77 This Tournament 80-82 Overall Avg Mary 78.2 Jackie 72.5 Renee 77.0 Clearly, Mary's performance was a streak and even factoring this good performance her scores are still [U] far [/U] worse than Jackie and even Renee, who has played pretty poorly in her own right.

Good apples to apples comparison. We will see today if Jackie can keep her top 10 in the race for the LPGA card. She'll need a good round I'd think. I'll bet the numbers are pretty close and there's lots of movement after every week while the season is young. Did you say Anya has some status on the LPGA?

My Swing

Just to follow up, here's the final Leaderboard from last week in Sarasota:

The leaders, Marissa Steen and Yueer Cindy Feng, were tied after 54 holes and went to a sudden death playoff. They played the 18th hole five times- first four times it was all pars, but then Marissa birdied. Their scores are shown just for reference- all players below the 1/2 slots are former Big Breakers.

Here's Marissa's web site--> http://www.marissasteengolf.com/ . She is from just outside Cincinnati and was 34th in 2012 and 16th in 2013 on the Symetra Tour, so she's plugging away. Currently 5th.

These gals really do not earn much unless they are at the very top of the leaderboard. As the top 10 money winners earn an LPGA card, I see Jackie kept her 8th place, but she'll need to do better than this week to hold onto that for much longer. Emily is just outside the top 10, still 11th, only $1200 behind the person in 10th.  Sadena dropped from 19th to 25th after being cut this week, about $5000 out of the top 10.

1 T8 usa STEEN, Marissa 5 -3 F -3 72 72 69 213 $15,000
2 1 chn FENG, Yueer Cindy 1 -3 F +1 69 71 73 213 $9,367
T7 T16 usa HENDERSON, Selanee +1 F -1 72 74 71 217 $2,408
T24 T16 usa COLLINS, Taylor +6 F +4 75 71 76 222 $1,003
T38 T8 usa ALVAREZ, Anya +8 F +8 71 73 80 224 $659
T41 T44 usa NARZISI, Mary +9 F +3 77 73 75 225 $573
T46 T63 usa STOELTING, Jackie 8 +10 F +2 75 77 74 226 $487
T51 T44 usa TALLEY, Emily 11 +11 F +5 72 78 77 227 $416
CUT mex ALVAREZ, Lili +9 80 73 153
CUT usa KENOYER, Stefanie +10 76 78 154
CUT usa PARKS, Sadena 19 +10 80 74 154
CUT usa FISH, Shannon +11 76 79 155
CUT usa O'NEAL, Blair +11 78 77 155
CUT usa BLACKWELDER, Mallory 21 +12 78 78 156
CUT usa BROWN, Sara +17 80 81 161
CUT usa SKIDMORE, Renee +18 80 82 162
WD usa TANAKA, Maiya +7 79 79

Update: http://www.symetrascoring.com/public/Leaderboard.aspx

Here's the FULL leaderboard. Above was modified to highlight Big Breakers obviously

My Swing

A cool success story for a Symetra Tour player today: Kim Kaufman. http://www.symetratour.com/golf/players/k/kim-kaufman/results.aspx She had provisional status on the LPGA due to her Q school rank, but she competed on Symetra this year (1 victory plus other cuts made). Today she played in the LPGA Texas Shootout and finished 4th, not far behind Stacy Lewis and Michelle Wie. Turns out they re-juggle the exemptions after this week, and it looks like with that finish she can play the rest of the LPGA events of the year. A real Big Break story. She only turned pro in June I think I read somewhere.

My Swing

Note: This thread is 3105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!