IGNORED

Broken shoulder. New start?

yrew
Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To the OP, Please, let your should Heal before attempting any activity that may re-injure it. I've had Many broken bones, tore n acl's and a separated rotor cuff. Some of these injuries I tried to get back into sports before they healed Properly, and in some cases have paid the price in pain for a long period, my rotor cuff being the worst. Because of that, it's really hard for me to make a complete follow through on my golf swing. So, heal up, then have at it. BTW hope you heal up quick, and your golf swing comes together.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good advice here.  As I mentioned earlier I started hitting small buckets of balls at the driving range before I was ready when I had my rotator surgery done.  Took time but after a year I am out golfing and loving it.   Therapy and doing it even when you do not feel like it is so important if you want to heal properly.

I am 17 months past the last of several surgeries to repair my left shoulder, arm, hip, and both knees.  I too have screws holding me together. Lots of them. Rehab was a necessary act of self torture to say the least. However, I got through it in fine fashion.

Taking up golf again was the real test. I had to start out slowly starting with the putter, and working my way up to the longer clubs. About 7+ months of slow practice before I could begin to even think about playing a few holes. I just started playing  18 holes a couple of months ago. Along with my golf return, was a quite a bit of strength exercises to regain lost muscle. Mostly for my legs.

My advice is to take it slow on your golf come back. My left shoulder was worst part of trying to swing a golf club again. I would also suggest that at first you try not to take divots unless it is absolutely required. The first few I took were nothing short of very painful.  I am right handed, and before the accident I pulled the club through the ball with my left side. Although I can now play a some what decent game, there is the possibility that I might try to start golfing left handed to take a lot of pressure off my left side, and switching it to my much healthier right side. The problem there is the time it would take to switch over. My goal is to get to a single digits hdcp again.  Challenges are a good thing.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To the OP, Please, let your should Heal before attempting any activity that may re-injure it. I've had Many broken bones, tore n acl's and a separated rotor cuff. Some of these injuries I tried to get back into sports before they healed Properly, and in some cases have paid the price in pain for a long period, my rotor cuff being the worst. Because of that, it's really hard for me to make a complete follow through on my golf swing. So, heal up, then have at it. BTW hope you heal up quick, and your golf swing comes together.

Well after my latest set back at the golf course, about three months ago, I haven't been back to the practice area. My progress came to an absolute halt and it might even have regressed a little. In the last three months progress became very slow up to the point that I thought a few times it would never be any better than it is now. But then I think about a lot of posts in the thread and I say to myself that nothing is out of the ordinary and that it just takes a long time to get better. One thing that bothers me though is my PT saying stuff about possibly having a frozen shoulder.

So for short. I decided not to do anything sport related until I am allowed to do some practice at home. But for now the PT won't give me any excercises to do at home because the mobility is still total crap. I am also going to make an appointment with the orthopedist to see what his opinion about my shoulder is.

I am 17 months past the last of several surgeries to repair my left shoulder, arm, hip, and both knees.  I too have screws holding me together. Lots of them. Rehab was a necessary act of self torture to say the least. However, I got through it in fine fashion.

Taking up golf again was the real test. I had to start out slowly starting with the putter, and working my way up to the longer clubs. About 7+ months of slow practice before I could begin to even think about playing a few holes. I just started playing  18 holes a couple of months ago. Along with my golf return, was a quite a bit of strength exercises to regain lost muscle. Mostly for my legs.

My advice is to take it slow on your golf come back. My left shoulder was worst part of trying to swing a golf club again. I would also suggest that at first you try not to take divots unless it is absolutely required. The first few I took were nothing short of very painful.  I am right handed, and before the accident I pulled the club through the ball with my left side. Although I can now play a some what decent game, there is the possibility that I might try to start golfing left handed to take a lot of pressure off my left side, and switching it to my much healthier right side. The problem there is the time it would take to switch over. My goal is to get to a single digits hdcp again.  Challenges are a good thing.

Wow did you fall of a ten story building on a concrete floor? You got some major surgeries there. Recovering from only one bad joint sometimes takes the best from me. What you have done is nothing short of climbing the Mount Everest if you ask me. To bad it is your left shoulder though, the right shoulder is the right shoulder for a righthanded golfer.

I am taking it slow. Havent been back for three months ( I am reading lowest score wins, and it is kinda frustrating to read stuff without being able to bring it to the practice grounds) and I wont'be back until I can do some guided sports again.

Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!