IGNORED

Officially Made the Switch to Blades.

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And?

He's still using them. What's your point?

point is that blade irons can be successful golfing equipment, contrary to what shorty (?) the guy with the cat avatar picture, insinuated.

point is that blade irons can be successful golfing equipment, contrary to what shorty (?) the guy with the cat avatar picture, insinuated.

Okay but we can't be comparing arguably the best golfer of the modern era to a handicap golfer here. Just an odd comparison to make..

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

This thread is going to end up costing me money! I love the look of blades but I hate how beat up forged irons get. My 11yr old i3+ blades (obviously not true blades) still look new. I could see going to a mixed set in the future. Like many things, looks fade and you are left with how well you do or do not hit the clubs. My old Pro II 1iron was the most beautiful club to look down at, for the month it stayed in my bag...

Ouch! You got me there! I had no idea that Tiger used blades. Seems that someone called Hogan and another one called Nicklaus did too, but I doubt that they were very good players. ;-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

This thread really caught my eye because I am currently playing the MP68s, and love them, but also because the first set of clubs that I purchased with my own money (around 15 years ago) were a set of Haig Ultras, the irons Shorty used to illustrate a true blade. Loved them too. I feel that I am in the exact same boat as the OP, in that I might play better with a set of GI or SGI irons, but I just can't deal with super fat toplines, or offsets, hell I can't even hit hybrids. I love the game when I am playing my blades, and it makes me want to keep playing, and maybe (hopefully) keep getting better.

This thread really caught my eye because I am currently playing the MP68s, and love them, but also because the first set of clubs that I purchased with my own money (around 15 years ago) were a set of Haig Ultras, the irons Shorty used to illustrate a true blade. Loved them too. I feel that I am in the exact same boat as the OP, in that I might play better with a set of GI or SGI irons, but I just can't deal with super fat toplines, or offsets, hell I can't even hit hybrids. I love the game when I am playing my blades, and it makes me want to keep playing, and maybe (hopefully) keep getting better.

Cheers Anjew. The MP 68's are pure class. They are amazing to hit and use on the course plus they are beautiful to look at. I always get the same comments from the "old golfers" at the range, "Why would you waste your money on these when the pro's don't even use them anymore." Then they'll proceed to take my 7 iron out of my bag and try to hit a ball only to shank it or hit it very thin. After they embarrass themselves they'll say, "See, I told you, these irons are impossible to hit." After I let him finish his tirade, I'll walk over to my spot and start hitting real nice shots with the 68's with the odd toe or heel shot. When they see how well I can hit them, they usually look the other way and ignore me for the rest of their bucket. Ha!!! I love shutting them up without even saying a word.

Cheers Anjew. The MP 68's are pure class. They are amazing to hit and use on the course plus they are beautiful to look at. I always get the same comments from the "old golfers" at the range, "Why would you waste your money on these when the pro's don't even use them anymore." Then they'll proceed to take my 7 iron out of my bag and try to hit a ball only to shank it or hit it very thin. After they embarrass themselves they'll say, "See, I told you, these irons are impossible to hit." After I let him finish his tirade, I'll walk over to my spot and start hitting real nice shots with the 68's with the odd toe or heel shot. When they see how well I can hit them, they usually look the other way and ignore me for the rest of their bucket. Ha!!! I love shutting them up without even saying a word.

I think you just revealed a few very unattractive character traits which fit in nicely with your need to be seen to be something special. It's not really about the clubs, is it? It's about you trying to cultivate an image. As if you are going to be "shutting people up" because you hit the occasional good shot on the range.:-\ You're making it up anyway. You've had the clubs for less than two weeks, yet this "always happens" and "they say this" and it's "always the same" and such and such "usually" happens, and it all embellishes your fantasy. You don't need to make up stories and exaggerate just because deep down you know that you just love the look of the clubs.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I think you just revealed a few very unattractive character traits which fit in nicely with your need to be seen to be something special. It's not really about the clubs, is it? It's about you trying to cultivate an image. As if you are going to be "shutting people up" because you hit the occasional good shot on the range.

You're making it up anyway. You've had the clubs for less than two weeks, yet this "always happens" and "they say this" and it's "always the same" and such and such "usually" happens, and it all embellishes your fantasy. You don't need to make up stories and exaggerate just because deep down you know that you just love the look of the clubs.

Wow,

Just put a little ice on it, the swelling will go down.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

I think you just revealed a few very unattractive character traits which fit in nicely with your need to be seen to be something special. It's not really about the clubs, is it? It's about you trying to cultivate an image. As if you are going to be "shutting people up" because you hit the occasional good shot on the range.:-\ You're making it up anyway. You've had the clubs for less than two weeks, yet this "always happens" and "they say this" and it's "always the same" and such and such "usually" happens, and it all embellishes your fantasy. You don't need to make up stories and exaggerate just because deep down you know that you just love the look of the clubs.

Are you always an absolute prick? Let the guy be, he's proud to have made the switch in clubs is that really that big of a deal to you? Every single post you make you're on the offensive trying to throw in random words you pick out of a dictionary. Starting to think you have short man syndrome. The old grumpy gig is getting old.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

So lets say you play blades and shoot a 95( this is all theoretical). How much better do you think it would be with lets say AP2's? And how much better with AP1's? Im just curious how much you guys think it matters to the 10-20 handicapper.

And how much better would you play with a 12 gauge shotgun cartridge behind the face of your driver like that guy in "Caddyshack"?   This stuff about making golf easier is ridiculous-----if there is no challenge, the game becomes nonsense. Clubs have been allowed to stray too far from the original rules definitions, what with "belly putters", "chin putters" and so on.  I'm not suggesting a return to hickory shafts, but I do feel recent equipment changes have made the game easier for hackers------persimmon woods had to be hit properly, so talented players had an advantage, but today even a beginner can hit some of the 460 cc titanium drivers well.

Are you always an absolute prick? Let the guy be, he's proud to have made the switch in clubs is that really that big of a deal to you? Every single post you make you're on the offensive trying to throw in random words you pick out of a dictionary. Starting to think you have short man syndrome. The old grumpy gig is getting old.

Hear, hear, sir.

I think you just revealed a few very unattractive character traits which fit in nicely with your need to be seen to be something special. It's not really about the clubs, is it? It's about you trying to cultivate an image. As if you are going to be "shutting people up" because you hit the occasional good shot on the range.

You're making it up anyway. You've had the clubs for less than two weeks, yet this "always happens" and "they say this" and it's "always the same" and such and such "usually" happens, and it all embellishes your fantasy. You don't need to make up stories and exaggerate just because deep down you know that you just love the look of the clubs.

Wow. You're a complete F***ing tool buddy. I work part time at a local driving range on the weekends so that I have access to hitting free balls whenever I please (Mechanical Engineer by day). There's an old "know-it-all" who's there every morning and that's exactly how it went down. I started to hit nice shots with the 68's and he decided to ignore me after that. His name is Moe in case you were interested.

I'm not trying to prove or cultivate anything a**hole. I could care less what people think but for some reason, the fact that I bought blades really burns your ass. I could care less what anyone else on the course is playing but you have to chime in your 2 cents like you're this PGA Analyst or club pro or something. Just because you can't hit blades worth s**t, well any irons really, doesn't mean you have to take it out on people that can hit them. Oh, and Shorty, shut-up, you'll never be the man that your mother is.

• Upvote 1

All good, let's move on and let him be. Paiste, I was going to ask - do you play them to PW or do you complement the set with different wedges?

All good, let's move on and let him be.

Paiste, I was going to ask - do you play them to PW or do you complement the set with different wedges?

I play them to PW plus I use different gap, sand and lob wedges. Is that what you are asking?

I play them to PW plus I use different gap, sand and lob wedges. Is that what you are asking?

Yeah. Was just curious, my friend actually plays the same clubs but doesn't use the pw, just goes with a 48 degree vokey and so on.

G'day Paiste,

I was playing modern cavities for about 5 years and my hcp fluctuated between 7 & 10.

For the past 3 years I started collecting and using old 1970 to 1990 blades. I swap iron sets every month or so for  bit of a change.

After 3 years of using old blades my hcp still fluctuates between 7 &10.  Difference, my next new set costs $100, not $600

People tend to forget that in the years before "cavity/GI" became fashionable, EVERYBODY PLAYED BLADES.

Why don't all touring pro's use blades? You could also ask. Why don't all touring pro's use cavities?

I guess if one of the big companies came to me with $100,000 to play their latest cavity game improvement irons, I would too.

Stick with the blades Paiste, and keep us up to date on how your getting on.

G'day Paiste,

I was playing modern cavities for about 5 years and my hcp fluctuated between 7 & 10.

For the past 3 years I started collecting and using old 1970 to 1990 blades. I swap iron sets every month or so for  bit of a change.

After 3 years of using old blades my hcp still fluctuates between 7 &10.  Difference, my next new set costs $100, not $600

People tend to forget that in the years before "cavity/GI" became fashionable, EVERYBODY PLAYED BLADES.

Why don't all touring pro's use blades? You could also ask. Why don't all touring pro's use cavities?

I guess if one of the big companies came to me with $100,000 to play their latest cavity game improvement irons, I would too.

Stick with the blades Paiste, and keep us up to date on how your getting on.

Hey OldTom. Thanks for the reply. I'm enjoying them and I'm definitely going to stick with them. I'm getting on great and my hcp is still an 11 but it's my putting that's needs the most improvement, not my ball striking. I haven't been able to go to the range or play any golf for the last week and due to a serious stomach virus that knocked the s**t out of me but I've got most of my strength and energy back and am heading to the range tomorrow to keep practicing. Cheers.

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!