IGNORED

New green progression

Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am not positive but I remember seeing somewhere a bushel for every 100 sqft

Sounds about right. Taking a guess it seemed like there were probably about 50 bushels per box and it if I remember right we were planting about 2 greens per box.

I am not to familar with southern turf. Is it hot enough to germinate bermuda yet?

It came about later than usual but right now it's good for Bermuda. Cannibalizing the putting green for sprigs would have been the most efficient and best plan but would have meant shutting down the entire course for longer and at the time a decision had to be made it looked like the cold weather would never end.

Plenty of the things we do aren't the things I would do but I'm not paying the bills, and I haven't spent 40 years as a superintendent, so I don't do a lot of second guessing.

(But I can't help doing a little sometimes). ;-)

We'll know in a few weeks how things are working out. Right now it seems to be a contest (partly by design) to see which grass wins. Interesting if nothing else.

P.S. The really ironic part is that I think we have more golfers on the course (front nine only and poor greens) than we usually do...And more people calling to see when we are going to be fully open.

I googled bermuda turf and found this http://www.bermudagrass.com/

and learned lots .  Frankly i thought bermuda was propagated only from vegetative parts, not from seed but now, newer varieties do offer seed.  The premium golf types are hybrids and  most have been developed at Univ of Ga, Tifton Research Station, and carry the prefix "Tif", as Tifway, Tifgreen. All these are propagated by sprigs, or cuttings, not seed and are more costly to produce and establish.

Best wishes for good greens in north 'bama'.  Go Vols!

trust me when I say economics have caused all superintendents to do and not do what they want or think is right

I asked the owner today about getting sprigs with a verti-cutter. He said that was the best way to do it.

I also asked him how many bushels of sprigs he bought last year when we did the back nine and he said 40 bushels so my guess of 50 bushels was a little off.

I googled bermuda turf and found this http://www.bermudagrass.com/

and learned lots .  Frankly i thought bermuda was propagated only from vegetative parts, not from seed but now, newer varieties do offer seed.  The premium golf types are hybrids and  most have been developed at Univ of Ga, Tifton Research Station, and carry the prefix "Tif", as Tifway, Tifgreen. All these are propagated by sprigs, or cuttings, not seed and are more costly to produce and establish.

Best wishes for good greens in north 'bama'.  Go Vols!

Yeah we have some Bermuda planted with seed right now and it seems to be doing pretty well.

RTR! :-D

BTW when I changed the hole locations today for the Saturday game tomorrow I had a much easier time finding areas with halfway decent grass to putt on than I did last week.

so are you going to try some in house spriging

I don't think so at this point but I didn't ask. If we do I'll show it here.

Slowly getting there. Maybe I'll make a putt or two this Saturday. :-D

Back nine greens seeded about a week after the front nine.

Just for reference this is what our greens used to look like before this ridiculous winter came along.

Looks really nice.

Are you trying to make us all feel guilty about making GIR? Because if you are, you're succeeding. . .lol :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks really nice.

Are you trying to make us all feel guilty about making GIR? Because if you are, you're succeeding. . .lol

Ha ha!

The one benefit of having a small number of golfers that play the course.

Not many ball marks or scuffs to worry about.

Well there is one more benefit. There is no "pace of play" problem.

Of course the drawback is that there's not a lot of money coming through the cash register.

• 2 weeks later...

Today (in between never-ending rain showers).

My boss having fun with his new toy on a back nine green that's coming along pretty well.

those rollers are wacky to drive lol

Yeah he just got that thing and the first thing he said when I pulled up was "Don't laugh because this thing is hard to control." :-D

I had other things to do so I haven't tried to run it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The bent grass on the front (that was planted late for bent just to get some golfers on the course) is progressing at a very slow rate.

The Bermuda on the back nine greens that were planted later is progressing faster.

This is the one green that survived the winter. Life would be so much easier if they all were like this one.

We haven't touched number 18 and the golfers are playing to the 9th green as a par 3 island green from the 10th tee box in place of 18. This is what all of the greens except one would look like if they weren't replanted.

We are going to get sprigs off of the putting green to put on this one.

Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!