IGNORED

Rules for driving carts?

Icehawk
Note: This thread is 6079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played for my first time this week - what a blast! There was one thing I was unsure of though, is it ok to drive the cart out into the short rough off the path? The course we were playing at the cart path would sometimes be quite far from where our balls were so after about the 12th hole I said let's just drive the cart up next to the fairway instead of leaving it just off the path (in the shade). I kept it off the fairway since I didn't want to hurt the grass. I noticed on a few holes there was string blocking the end of the fairway to green so I'm thinking that it is fine but I don't want to be a jerk.
The Good:
Heavenwood 3h
White Steel Two Ball
Orlimar SOS 56deg SW & 60deg LW
The Free:767 Pro Series 3-9iTomahawk 50deg PWKing Cobra 10.5deg Driver (350cc) 10.5deg Intimidator Driver

Typically the rules are told to you at the beginning of your round. These can be the 90˚ rule, where you travel across the fairway at 90˚ angles, or cart path only. On par 3's it is typical to stay on the path the whole way.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Typically the rules are told to you at the beginning of your round. These can be the 90˚ rule, where you travel across the fairway at 90˚ angles, or cart path only. On par 3's it is typical to stay on the path the whole way.

good description.

Also they generally say during the hot dry months to keep off the rough and stay in the fairway or path because they water the fairways and not the rough and the extra stress of having something drive the rough isnt good.
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

The rules for carts really depend on the course. Some courses require you to stay on the path at all times.

Some courses have a 90 degree rule where you stay on the path until you get even with your ball, then drive straight to your ball. From this point, some courses will allow you to stay in the fairway until you get to about 50 yards from the green, where they will direct you back to the cart path. Others require you to return directly to the path and follow it to the next ball.

My home course only has cart paths near the tees and greens, so when you leave the tee you drive on the fairway or the short rough (which is well watered and is not hurt by normal cart traffic). The rule is to stay at least 50 feet from tees and greens unless you are on a cart path, and you are not allowed to drive in the native rough.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
One rule that's always in place is to stay as far away from the tees and greens (and edges of bunkers, even fairway bunkers) as possible. Say, 30 yards. The exception is obviously the cart path next to the tee or near the green.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Job well done, THANK YOU for asking.

I play with a guy who does not feel he needs to be assisted when he drives the cart.

Most people are too shy to ask.

I commend you for asking. There are certain rules and etiquette when driving a cart.

Here's a quick link
http://www.thegolfexpert.com/etiquette-more-carts.php

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

Thanks a lot guys - I guess next time I can walk even less :) I'l be sure and double-check with the starting marshall too.
The Good:
Heavenwood 3h
White Steel Two Ball
The Free:767 Pro Series 3-9iTomahawk 50deg PWKing Cobra 10.5deg Driver (350cc) 10.5deg Intimidator Driver

I agree with the other posters. I would just keep away from the hard to maintain stuff like the greens and bunkers. I hate driving a cart personally. Takes some of the game away to me.
What's in my bag?

PING G5 driver......125 shipped
Ping G5 3 wood.....110 shipped
Taylormade RAC LT irons 3-PW......200 plus shippingTaylor made 2 iron......(sold)Black Callaway golf bag.....(sold)Titlist Vokey Wedge 58* 40 shippedTitlist Vokey wedge 54* 40 shippedAll For sale......If...

In 100 degree indexed weather there is no way I could walk a course, as-is I drank ~60oz of water. Getting in the cart's shade and a little speed generated wind was VERY nice indeed. Plus I think considering my lack of skill it was a big help in maintaining our 4:!5 round.
The Good:
Heavenwood 3h
White Steel Two Ball

Note: This thread is 6079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!