IGNORED

Taylor Made Complete Set for Beginner

Note: This thread is 6897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a beginner looking to purchase all Taylor Made clubs. I need a set of irons,
3wood, 5wood, and driver. I'm leaning towards the Rac OS2 irons, rescue fairway woods, and either the r5 or r7 driver.

Couple questions from a beginners view:

1.) Do I go steel or graphite?
2.) Do I go flex, stiff, or reg?
3.) On the driver...I was told I should get the R5 (N) driver. But which loft? (8.5, 9.5, 10.5) no clue on this one!

Any suggestions, help, links, would be of much help!
Thanks

I'm a beginner looking to purchase all Taylor Made clubs. I need a set of irons,

That's a "high-end" start if you're a beginner.. but I guess if you can afford it - why not taking advantage of the technology

Since I'm an avid fan here's what I think (it will be bias, no doubt!): 1. RAC OS2 is way to go 2. get steel. You'll find out soon the difference is not worth the extra bucks 3. R S or X ? Can't tell w/o seeing your swing... If you're athletic and in shape - S. More than likely your swingspeed will either be there or get there very soon. 4. I myself would advise to get the r7. Set it neutral at first and see what'll come out. I found it more forgiving than r5. Graphite shaft, 10.5 deg. 5. Fairway woods - I'm not a big fan of rescue's. If you're really so rich, that you don't care how much it costs - get the r5 fwy woods. If you do care - V-Steel is a good alternative. Graphite. Bottom line - difference between graphite and steel , R and S flex - is your swingspeed. Steel is less flexible (less distance) and heavier (slower swing). If you can "upgrade" in the near feature - go graphite and R flex to get the ball flying w/o much effort - will keep you more interested in the game Good luck!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You need to see a professional and get fit. It's not just the shaft flex it's also the lie angle of the head and the length of the shaft.

The 1st BIGGEST mistake golfers make is playing a shaft that is too stiff for them. It's not a ego thing. The 2nd BIGGEST mistake is playing a set of clubs that do not properly fit them.

I agree with getting the R7 - Just remember tweaking the weights still will not fix a bad/incorrect swing. It's for tweaking the ball flight of a somewhat reliable swing.

The 1st BIGGEST mistake golfers make is playing a shaft that is too stiff for them. It's not a ego thing. The 2nd BIGGEST mistake is playing a set of clubs that do not properly fit them.

I'd disagree with the sequence Paco. I think not fitted clubs will be #1; wrong shaft? If shaft is too soft yes, it could be a big problem. if shaft is one level stiffer than "measured"... what's the worst it can happen? you'll lose some distance and get lower ballflight. I'm not talking about somebody with 60mph swing, trying to hit XXX shaft. I've my 3W Tour Stiff (XX) on purpose, even though all I swing is about 90-95mph. It gives me lower ball flight (more roll) and much tighter dispersion (or however you spell that thing

). All other clubs are S-flex.

Note: This thread is 6897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!