IGNORED

help with shaft.

Note: This thread is 3566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking into putting graphite shafts into a set of adams cmb that I got at a good buy my question is what shafts? I want a low trajectory ball flight. The shafts I am looking at are the aldila rip tour 115, ust prototype 110, or the fujikura pro i95 shafts. I swing my 6 iron around 88-91 and my driver hovers around 100 sometimes more or less. Currently playino c taper shaft s+ I really like these just thinking of tinkering with a second set and trying graphite. Looking for something very similar to c taper.would soft stepping be recommended I have read this a lot.

Welcome to the site @Jew2920 .  Your swing speed is pretty fast for graphite.  I swing my 6 iron about 80 and my fitter thought graphite was too light for me.

That being said, I have tried the Aldila RIP in a driver and it is a nice shaft.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Aerotech SteelFibers would be worth checking out.  It's technically not a graphite shaft (they are carbon fiber), but it has some of the same benefits and will handle any swing speed.  They tend to play a little stiffer than they are rated, so be aware of that.  In terms of feel and performance they are definitely a good option.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Aldila make a line called the Proto "By You". They are sold as hybrid shafts at 42" blank and are .370. They are mid bend with 1.4 degrees torque in the 90g series. I want to hit them because thats basically the specs on kbs tour.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Aldila make a line called the Proto "By You". They are sold as hybrid shafts at 42" blank and are .370. They are mid bend with 1.4 degrees torque in the 90g series. I want to hit them because thats basically the specs on kbs tour.

I play that shaft in my hybrids, and it's a great shaft, but one thing to keep in mind is that they recommend trimming those shafts from the butt only.  Typically parallel tip iron shafts are tipped in 1/2" increments.

http://www.aldila.com/custom-fitting/trimming/

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I know the descending iron weights would change things a lot. I would need a little figuring before I wasted money finding out things that wont work like a tip section that grows in O.D. and wont fit an iron head as a result. Its just easier to buy metal for irons as I really dont have a need for extra lenth or lighter shafts. I am just curious.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I play my c tapers soft stepped, I tried them straight in and they required a lot more loading to feel right. Though I can handle most x flexes in all my clubs, the c tapers play about half a flex stiff compared to dynamic gold. The X100 is about the same for me as the soft stepped C taper. My swing speed is higher than yours though, so there's a half to full flex difference I would imagine.

If you go with the aldila RIP, I play it in 2 of my low lofted hybrids but the iron shaft itself I haven't tried. The X in the Rip alpha hybrid plays similar to my soft stepped X stiff C tapers which are the same as the S+ straight in. Launch and spin were both similar, and control was solid. So I would recommend you soft step your irons and maybe play a tipped S flex if you try the RIP alpha to match that.

Other than that, it might be worth considering adding like 2 hybrids. If graphite would benefit you, then it's likely it will help the long irons the most. I haven't tried any of the graphite iron shafts, but honestly it won't cost nearly as much to try soft stepping first since you will probably only need to buy one shaft. It's not a difficult job to do yourself if you've done any clubmaking and don't want to spend the money. Hope that helps.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 3566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!