IGNORED

WSJ article about golf addiction

gotgolf?
Note: This thread is 4411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The wife and I argue about this all the time. I plan to do an article about our discussion in Thrash Talk very soon.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FYI, already a thread about the WSJ article here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/7541/wsj-article-about-golf-addiction  (which was, ironically, recently resurrected in fact).

Bill

What I want to know is what is wrong with playing golf alone while on your honeymoon? I played several times on mine.

Anyway, I am thoroughly "addicted" I guess. I have played and continually play even while having small children at home. I know lots of guys that get married, have kids, and practically give up the game because they feel guilty if they go out and play. Perhaps I am a cold hearted person but I do not feel guilty at all as I head out the door every Saturday and Sunday morning. My grandfather did it, my father did it, and now I do it. Am I addicted?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had that black mood the other day. It literally ruins your whole day. I don't really think it's anyone elses place to tell me what's so wrong or right with my life, but I'm certainly addicted to the game of golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldrebel View Post

It seems that most comments here seem somewhat proud and bragging about being so aimless in their life by rationalizing their 'addicted' to golf. Golf is artificial entertainment and the objective of the 'golf industry' is to make consumers out of the masses addicted to 'buying' golf clubs etc.  That is the true addiction about golf.-buying stuff you don't need and buying stuff for a trivial purpose.

The down side of having joe public inundate golf is that the original intent of the sport goes out the window as far as social skills etc. Anyone can be trained to play golf and with enough of the 'right kind' of practice-- play well. I've played most of my life and have been in many local and state opens etc. and I'm the first one to admit that the last thing I want to do all the time is 'play golf'. Playing golf with so much of one's spare time is a shallow and superficial existence. The cigar smoking, electric cart driving beings that have gravitated to the links have taken the athleticism out of the sport. Who wants to spend so much time being around and subject to  zeros swinging and putting with cigars in their mouth, hacking away? Am I too cynical or is it that the Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus aura of golf has evaporated into some adolescent temper tantrum nonsense ?

wow, you registered just so you can post this rambling nonsense?  pot, meet kettle...

That seems quite elitist to me. You make it seem like you take away from the game if your a hacker. Everyone starts as a hacker. And whats it matter to you if someone wants to pursue something theyre not good at. Would you be upset with someone sucking at tennis yet still playing? About the black cloud after a round. I have experienced this only once. Recently I had a lot of family and work issues I needed to deal with but let a golf buddy twist my rubber arm into playing. I played horribly and felt horrible for being out there. Of course, if I would have played great, I probably would have credited playing for being a good thing and letting me relax. There is irony in that somewhere.

Note: This thread is 4411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!