IGNORED

New Myrtle Beach Trip Thread - FIRST TIMER LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

nice lineup there

Yea...looking forward to the trip. Played them all except for Glen Dornoch, Prestwick, and Grande Dunes. The others are some of my favorite courses.

played barefoot Norman, Myrtle National, and Long Bay last month and had a blast.  3 1/2 rounds for 60 bucks plus tips. Caledonia is definitely on my bucket list for either this fall or next spring.

Caledonia is awesome. I actually like True Blue even better. Caledonia has more scenic views, but True Blue is one of the most unique golf courses I have ever played. No two holes are alike. Generous off the tee with challenging greens/approach shot. Heritage and Legends - Moorland are outstanding as well if you haven't played them (Heritage and Legends - Moorland are fun for players that can at least break 90 on a regular basis. I can see how a high handicap would leave the course frustrated)

True Blue is definitely on the list also...but waiting until my game improves a bit more before taking on that challenge.  Let me know what you think about grande dunes....might try to play it here in a few weeks.  Got a pretty good connection with a list of about 20 courses i can play for free.  Also have you ever played aberdeen?

True Blue is my favorite course I have played anywhere.

Barefoot Love is great.

Haven't played Grande Dunes but I have heard great things - playing there next month

TPC - didn't care for it that much...too much hype (Heritage, Tidewater, and Legends Moorland are can't miss courses that are far superior IMO)

Heritage was a lot of fun!!!!  Legends Moorland was good, but I think Heritage has advantage...

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Caledonia is awesome. I actually like True Blue even better. Caledonia has more scenic views, but True Blue is one of the most unique golf courses I have ever played. No two holes are alike. Generous off the tee with challenging greens/approach shot. Heritage and Legends - Moorland are outstanding as well if you haven't played them (Heritage and Legends - Moorland are fun for players that can at least break 90 on a regular basis. I can see how a high handicap would leave the course frustrated)

I'm thinking of adding an extra round onto our itinerary.  Deciding between True Blue and Caledonia.  I've played Tobacco Road (Mike Stranz design) and the Pine Barrons course at World Woods (similar design).  The pics I've seen of True Blue seem like it's a "traditional" Stranz course while Caledonia seems more like a parkland style course (if that makes any sense). How would you compare the two?

Going in late October, should I expect that the course conditions and plantlife (flowers, shrubs, etc.) will not yet be going dormant to take away from the asthetics?

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.

I had a full plate of golf of 10 rounds (9 regular rounds plus a scramble that week).  My last scheduled round was an afternoon tee time at Grande Dunes.  Unfortunately, I was exhausted and the heat index that day was 105 degrees.

The staff at Grande Dunes was awesome.  I was upfront with them that I kind of overdid it for the week and they didn't hesitate to give me a rain check.  They definitely won me over in the customer service department.

I'm thinking of adding an extra round onto our itinerary.  Deciding between True Blue and Caledonia.  I've played Tobacco Road (Mike Stranz design) and the Pine Barrons course at World Woods (similar design).  The pics I've seen of True Blue seem like it's a "traditional" Stranz course while Caledonia seems more like a parkland style course (if that makes any sense).  How would you compare the two?

Going in late October, should I expect that the course conditions and plantlife (flowers, shrubs, etc.) will not yet be going dormant to take away from the asthetics?

I like True Blue a little bit better.  Most people will say Caledonia.  Both courses have been ranked in the top 100 public courses over the years.  Caledonia is slightly more expensive.  Your assessment is pretty much spot on as far as design and course set up.  One of my golf friends described True Blue as having a little more risk vs reward design and Tobacco Road was a little more target golf oriented.  I played Pine Barrens in May and True Blue in August and they are similar.  Both are phenomenal courses.  I think True Blue is slightly better as far as course maintenance is concerned.  Both have unique interesting designs.  Caledonia is a very beautiful golf course.  I just don't find the design quite as unique as True Blue.  Both are phenomenal courses and you cannot go wrong either way.

One thing to keep in mind is how those two courses suit your game:

1) Caledonia is a really tight golf course and there are several long and narrow par 4's.  If you are not hitting your driver well you may be in for a long day.  I have played there 4 times and on two of those rounds I really wanted to tee off with my 3 wood but I had no choice but to hit my driver because of the sheer length of the holes.  However, if you are long and straight with the big stick then you can score well.

2) True Blue has very generous landing areas for your tee shots but requires much more accurate approach shots.  If your iron shots and your short game are really good (or at least decent) you will enjoy this course.

My game is very accurate 3 wood - lob wedge but I can get really wild with my driver.  As a result, in my rounds at Caledonia my enjoyment lived and died depending on how I was hitting my driver.

True Blue is not an easy golf course, but if you play smart you can score well.  I probably hit every club in my bag when I play there.  Most holes allow me to hit driver, 3 wood, and even a 3 hybrid off the tee.  Although the landing areas are generous you still need to play smart shots.  Many times 210-240 to the correct side of the fairway will leave you a better and possibly shorter approach shot than 260-270 down the wrong side of the fairway.  It is a true test of course management at its finest and it will captivate you for the entire round.

Hope this helps.

I like True Blue a little bit better.  Most people will say Caledonia.  Both courses have been ranked in the top 100 public courses over the years.  Caledonia is slightly more expensive.  Your assessment is pretty much spot on as far as design and course set up.  One of my golf friends described True Blue as having a little more risk vs reward design and Tobacco Road was a little more target golf oriented.  I played Pine Barrens in May and True Blue in August and they are similar.  Both are phenomenal courses.  I think True Blue is slightly better as far as course maintenance is concerned.  Both have unique interesting designs.  Caledonia is a very beautiful golf course.  I just don't find the design quite as unique as True Blue.  Both are phenomenal courses and you cannot go wrong either way.

One thing to keep in mind is how those two courses suit your game:

1) Caledonia is a really tight golf course and there are several long and narrow par 4's.  If you are not hitting your driver well you may be in for a long day.  I have played there 4 times and on two of those rounds I really wanted to tee off with my 3 wood but I had no choice but to hit my driver because of the sheer length of the holes.  However, if you are long and straight with the big stick then you can score well.

2) True Blue has very generous landing areas for your tee shots but requires much more accurate approach shots.  If your iron shots and your short game are really good (or at least decent) you will enjoy this course.

My game is very accurate 3 wood - lob wedge but I can get really wild with my driver.  As a result, in my rounds at Caledonia my enjoyment lived and died depending on how I was hitting my driver.

True Blue is not an easy golf course, but if you play smart you can score well.  I probably hit every club in my bag when I play there.  Most holes allow me to hit driver, 3 wood, and even a 3 hybrid off the tee.  Although the landing areas are generous you still need to play smart shots.  Many times 210-240 to the correct side of the fairway will leave you a better and possibly shorter approach shot than 260-270 down the wrong side of the fairway.  It is a true test of course management at its finest and it will captivate you for the entire round.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate your thoughts/insights.  I decided on Caledonia.  When I played the Pine Barrons course a couple years ago I was with 2 of the other 3 players I'll be with in MB, so they have seen that type of layout before, and my Dad is really into gardening/horticulture so I think he'd enjoy Caledonia more (assuming the flowers are still in bloom). Also, if/when I go for my next trip I'll likely plan to play northern courses so, assuming I don't go back to the Murrell's Inlet / Pawley's area anytime soon, I think Caledonia is the more well known of the 2 courses (when we tell people about our trip, Caledonia would likely get more recognition than TB)....trivial, I know.

43 days til we leave......CAN'T WAIT!!

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

I was in MB last week ... Caledonia was one of my favorites. Like that style course. My least favorite was the Dye Club ... thought it was rather ugly Liked the Love course, True Blue, and National as well

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I appreciate your thoughts/insights.  I decided on Caledonia.  When I played the Pine Barrons course a couple years ago I was with 2 of the other 3 players I'll be with in MB, so they have seen that type of layout before, and my Dad is really into gardening/horticulture so I think he'd enjoy Caledonia more (assuming the flowers are still in bloom). Also, if/when I go for my next trip I'll likely plan to play northern courses so, assuming I don't go back to the Murrell's Inlet / Pawley's area anytime soon, I think Caledonia is the more well known of the 2 courses (when we tell people about our trip, Caledonia would likely get more recognition than TB)....trivial, I know. 43 days til we leave......CAN'T WAIT!!

You will love Caledonia. It is easily in my top 20 golf courses I have played before. Most of the high end courses in Myrtle Beach that I have played are decent if not spectacular. I have only played two courses in the area that were high end courses that were a major disappointment (Dunes Club and TPC Myrtle).

I was in MB last week ... Caledonia was one of my favorites. Like that style course. My least favorite was the Dye Club ... thought it was rather ugly Liked the Love course, True Blue, and National as well

I didn't care for Dye Club as well. Fazio and Love were much better and they were not "tricked out." You ought to try Prestwick and Legends - Moorland. The are both Dye courses that are much more playable for us golfers that are not professionals. :)

• 1 month later...
Looking for suggestions that would complement a mid handicap husband and wife team. We went down three years ago and attended golf school at Legends split with a half week at the beach. This time it will be all about the golf rather than just squeezing in three rounds on the Legends courses. School helped me and I played my best golf on Heathland that week. Looking for,courses that are female friendly for the wife. She does not care much for,water hazards. Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!