IGNORED

Tips on Shortening the Backswing

Note: This thread is 3132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Typically the best way to do that is to feel the right arm is straighter or that the right hand is "pushing" away from you.

Great video.  Thanks Mike.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Typically the best way to do that is to feel the right arm is straighter or that the right hand is "pushing" away from you.

I really like this video. I think it fits in with what I am trying to work on now, getting my hands less deep on the backswing (due to right arm retracting behind the body). Getting the hands more infront and away from the body will help. If it helps shorten the swing, BIG PLUS!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I got the Swing Extender today and went to the driving range.  I gotta say horrible name for absolutely the smartest thing that's been created.

I wore it with every club and was still able to make good swings.  I took it off then tried to feel that stop in my right arm.  I really think it was working!  It will definitely ingrain that shorter backswing feeling!

• 1 year later...
It's clear watching your video that you are not keeping the weight on your front foot which allows the rest of your body to turn too much which is a common reason why people overswing. Keep all of your weight on your front foot to get the feel of it and your swing will shorten dramatically. After a while you can change the ratio of weight between front and back to how long you want your swing to be.

This seems to work great for me when I'm hitting an iron, but I cannot for the life of me shorten my driver swing. I don't know if it's the urge to try and hit the ball as hard as humanly possible or what, but even when I feel like I'm taking a 3/4 swing or stopping at A3, I end up passed parallel. Drives me nuts.

I'm having the same issue. I have no problem shortening my swing with my irons. But my driver swing, it's out of control. It goes so far past parallel, it looks like John Daly. I have no clue how I even manage to return the club head to the ball. I'd really like to stop doing this. But, I practice a shorter backswing and it's very difficult to find a good tempo with this short swing. @iacas I see you reviewed the SwingExtender years ago. Could this device really help me shorten up my driver swing in your opinion?

• Administrator

@iacas I see you reviewed the SwingExtender years ago. Could this device really help me shorten up my driver swing in your opinion?

Yes, I think so. You could fashion your own, of course, but for the $20 or whatever it's easier to just get something that's made for the purpose, IMO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

I'm working with Stephan/Evolvr too, and this is a great thread for me.  What I've definitely realized is that when I play a tennis forehand, I rotate my hips and shoulders to get into a ready position for the swing, but my elbow flies way behind me. When I play baseball, my trail elbow gets behind my shirt seam. Now it has been a LONG time since I've had instruction in those sports, but those elbow positions feel natural to gain more power.

Now here in golf, I've got to keep that right elbow in front of my shirt seam, but I'm just dying to pull it back. For those out there saying that you should just play golf naturally, I think this is just one example of that fallacy.  It's clear we need to re-learn a natural feeling, and for me, keeping that elbow close and in front of me is something I need to just hammer into my muscles. Just do it, and make it natural.

Sorry for thread bump, but just wanted to put a stake down that this was a very relevant thread for me. Good stuff here. Also useful was the 5SK video where Erik has green stripe down his shirt seam (embed below). I'm not sure this video mentions that it helps shorten the backswing, but it seems to shorten mine in slow motion... still working on getting it solidified in faster speeds!

Possibly unrelated, but I also do something odd with my lead knee- like Babe Ruth and it buckles in a little bit.  It has not been identified as a key for me, but I also feel like when I point my lead foot out (more flared), I can keep that knee from moving inward a lot, allowing me to press my weight onto the lead foot more easily when I start the transition. By keeping that knee from coming in too much, I feel that shortens my backswing.  Not sure if that's just feel, however. It's also not a priority from Evolvr, so I'm not going to put much stock in that. If anyone has any comment on the lead knee impact on the length of backswing, I'd be interested.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!