• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SavvySwede

Wrist Pain

6 posts in this topic

I've been having some wrist and thumb pain in my left hand recently with the pain being mostly after impact. A quick google search on the subject turned up some conflicting results.

In the golf digest article http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2011-09/fitness-avoid-injuries it says a strong left hand grip will reduce stress on the wrist.

Another article http://www.hss.edu/golfportal/tips-for-protecting-your-wrist-on-the-golf-course.htm advocates a weaker left hand position.

Both are fairly reputable sources but from very different backgrounds. Thoughts?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

see the elbow thread for the pain. As to what is causing it, I don't know. Never had that pain. Every other pain, yes.

I get it as well. I feel it right now!

For the long haul, you may want to lay off on range practice some more; when you do practice, work on swing moves that don't involve full-speed impact as much. It'll probably be more constructive anyway!

I'm no physiologist, so I don't know which grip reduces wrist tension, but less forceful impact with the ground helps my wrist out.

I will be easing off from the clubs for a bit and will try a longer thumbed grip when I get back. But I am still wondering if anyone could shed some light on the discrepancy between the two articles I posted. My best guess would be they are talking about two different types of injuries, e.g. weaker grip puts less stress on the radial side of the wrist and a strong grip puts less stress on the other side. Or perhaps the other way around? Perhaps one is simply incorrect?