IGNORED

Joost Luiten

Silent
Note: This thread is 1751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really don't think playing in Denmark or the Czech Republic will help his cause. He'll obviously play the KLM & probably the Euro Masters or Welsh Open.

But those tournaments don't count anymore for the Ryder Cup rankings.... which is fine by me, but not what I understood from his interview at American television where he was talking about 2 tournaments for qualification (I posted that interview a few pages back).

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He seems to have the foundations of a good game, but you question at the moment whether he really possesses the belief to go and win the bigger tournaments. It's not coincidence that so many top golfers cite the mental side of the game as being the missing piece (and it makes sense really). The list of Europeans with excellent games and world rankings for whom the big prizes always alluded them is quite frightening

Hell, I reckon you could build a damn good Ryder Cup team out of players who never won a major (and certainly out of players who only won one major) but that's cheating

Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Colin Montgomerie, Paul Casey, Henrik Stenson and Sergio Garcia is a decent building block to start with

But those tournaments don't count anymore for the Ryder Cup rankings.... which is fine by me, but not what I understood from his interview at American television where he was talking about 2 tournaments for qualification (I posted that interview a few pages back).

True, but he's really out of tournaments. Next week theres a tournament on the PGA Tour...the playoffs start. He's not eligible for the PGA Tour playoffs and he's out of big tournaments, frankly. I think the Ryder Cup was certainly a very lofty goal and I think he did well this year. He'll be back.

Riley

I agree RJH bout there is no harm in him setting himself up with this kind of mindset and letting it be known he wants to play, how ever futile it might seem. Put himself through a mock qualification dash is sensible planning.

I doubt he'll be given a wildcard in honesty. But his game and his limited team matchplay record all point to him being a quite useful foursomes player of the future (natural replacement for Luke!) talking of whom, I think he's still outside the team, and was very hit and miss over the last week. Not sure the table I'm looking at is up to date though?

Ideally you want to introduce 2 new players on each cycle, but of course a Captain, who only gets the one chance to win, will always pick the best 12 on the day though, rather than a managerial selection committee who might take a longer term view and try and look to the future a bit

Graeme's gotta be picked, Lee had a good week, and Poulter is a Ryder Cup guru. I'd love to see Jimenez or Joost in there, but unfortunately don't see it happening. Unless he wins the Czech Open & Danish Open.

Riley

The table I'm looking at suggests McDowell is in already? unless it hasn't been updated. I'm suspicious of it because I'd expect Westy to be higher than he's currently showing and there's no date on it that says when it was last modified

If its right though, then the casualty that has a question mark over him is Luke Donald

We had this situation four of years ago when some of our top players weren't qualified but stayed to play FedEx. At that time Luke was either number 1, or hovering very close to it. I think Padraig Harrington was dropped when the crunch came, and have a recollection that Paul Casey was given the same ultimatium, chased the money, got dropped, and never played again

Luke called their bluff then, and the fact that he'd won a Welsh Open at Celtic Manor weighed heavily on his side. He correctly worked out he was likely to get the nod, but I'd be a long way from thinking he'll be given a free pass out this time. He hasn't played well this season. He's in the middle of a swing modification process (which always frightens me). His awesome foursomes record was punctered a bit at Medinah, and there's just a sense with me that perhaps the Centenary needn't be ideal for him. If I were looking for a keep it play merchant with one eye on foursomes I would think that the brothers Mollinari and Joost would be considered, albeit I suspect they'll go with Luke, but he doesn't look right to me at all

To be completely honest, I think Luiten didn't perform well enough in the majors this year in order to be a captain's choice. Augusta and PGA Championship both 26th place is okay, US Open and The Open missed the cut. For a first timer pretty good results, but is it good enough for the captain to trust Luiten will be an asset in the greatest golf match in the world? I doubt it. I'm sure Luiten can be of great value, but I think McGinlay doesn't dare to pick him just now..... In 2 years it might be a complete different story, if Luiten continues to develop himself like he did in the past 2 years.

~Jorrit

Concur - not yet but hopefully in '16.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Look, we enjoyed the ride of the first two days, and at least he's definitively proved beyond any reasonable doubt that he's better than Tiger Woods and Grubba Watson. I'm trying to imagine the fun we'd have had actually had it been the Joost and not Weisberger who'd mounted the charge

In any event, part of the fun of following a progressive midfield number is that they make the winning all the more enjoyable having subjected you to the heartbreak so many times along the way

You ought to see if you can tee a meeting up on the practise day of the KLM, Silent.

Get him a log in and password sorted out!!! at the very least his webmaster and tweater should take it on

I agree, follow a player who is not in the absolute top of the world (hopefully 'yet') is much more fun. And a win is more special, hope we will experience that in 2014. Some big tournaments coming up on the European Tour in october/november. Aboutthe contact: I don't want to push my luck too quickly. Just had contact last week for the first time ever, I think it's smarter to play it slow. I just send an e-mail today to his father with a little update (mainly to tell him that within the first days this topic already has over 1.000 views). Maybe before KLM Open I will contact him again to ask if something is possible (maybe a signed glove or anything like that to give away here in combination of some prediction contest). I want to try to build a steady 'relationship' and not push it by asking too much too soon.

~Jorrit

I agree, follow a player who is not in the absolute top of the world (hopefully 'yet') is much more fun. And a win is more special, hope we will experience that in 2014. Some big tournaments coming up on the European Tour in october/november. Aboutthe contact: I don't want to push my luck too quickly. Just had contact last week for the first time ever, I think it's smarter to play it slow. I just send an e-mail today to his father with a little update (mainly to tell him that within the first days this topic already has over 1.000 views). Maybe before KLM Open I will contact him again to ask if something is possible (maybe a signed glove or anything like that to give away here in combination of some prediction contest). I want to try to build a steady 'relationship' and not push it by asking too much too soon.

The Great Dutch Hope! I haven't liked a Dutchie this much since Ruud Gullit.

Riley

Hey Silent I just read through this thread and its neat that you were able to contact his father.

Im a big international golf fan. Even being from the US I have traveled the globe alot in my life and developed likes for world sport. And as far as golf goes I enjoy following the Euro tour in the mornings on weekends but also love rooting for some of the up and comers in the Majors.

Joost in particular is a guy Ive noticed quite a but on the leader boards this season. During majors I have a tendency to use the create your own leaderboard feature and add a bunch of favorites from the US as well as a good diverse group of international players. Especially when you notice a player from a country that only shows up once or twice on the leaderboard.

Some of the guys this year Ive followed through the majors alot have been Joost (ned),  Weisberger (aus), Illonen (fin), Dubuisson (fra), Olesen (den). There are a quite a few other Europeans as well as Africans/Asians I like as well, but those are a few that have picked up on more so this season.

I mentioned it in the Duval thread but Nicolas Colsarts was becoming quite a favorite but he has completely fallen off. He was looking like a real star too. Sometimes guys wane a bit before coming back so I think he will figure it out.

Hey Silent I just read through this thread and its neat that you were able to contact his father. Im a big international golf fan. Even being from the US I have traveled the globe alot in my life and developed likes for world sport. And as far as golf goes I enjoy following the Euro tour in the mornings on weekends but also love rooting for some of the up and comers in the Majors.  Joost in particular is a guy Ive noticed quite a but on the leader boards this season. During majors I have a tendency to use the create your own leaderboard feature and add a bunch of favorites from the US as well as a good diverse group of international players. Especially when you notice a player from a country that only shows up once or twice on the leaderboard. Some of the guys this year Ive followed through the majors alot have been Joost (ned),  Weisberger (aus), Illonen (fin), Dubuisson (fra), Olesen (den). There are a quite a few other Europeans as well as Africans/Asians I like as well, but those are a few that have picked up on more so this season. I mentioned it in the Duval thread but Nicolas Colsarts was becoming quite a favorite but he has completely fallen off. He was looking like a real star too. Sometimes guys wane a bit before coming back so I think he will figure it out.

Yeah I do the same with the leaderboard thing. Like if I see a guy from...Peru or Bulgaria or Paraguay or anywhere random with no golfers, I start liking that guy. If that makes any sense. I always thought I was insane for doing this.

Riley

Ha youve found your match. Perhaps I even take it a tad further with countries Ive been too factoring in. I always hope for more players from obscure African countries. De Jonge at least keeping Zimbabwae flag on the board but Im hoping one of these Zambian golfers emerges :)

Ha youve found your match. Perhaps I even take it a tad further with countries Ive been too factoring in. I always hope for more players from obscure African countries. De Jonge at least keeping Zimbabwae flag on the board but Im hoping one of these Zambian golfers emerges :)

Holy shit we're like the same person. ;-)..I always thought I was batshit insane for rooting for the guy from Paraguay. I thought I had a national identity crisis.

Riley

Thanks Derek, I'm glad you like the topic. Hope to keep things interesting here, and more activity is always welcome.

Joost Luiten is not on the entry list for this weeks ET tournament in Denmark. Both Derksen en Huizing are.

~Jorrit

Thanks Derek, I'm glad you like the topic. Hope to keep things interesting here, and more activity is always welcome. Joost Luiten is not on the entry list for this weeks ET tournament in Denmark. Both Derksen en Huizing are.

Holy shit! A dutch golfer party! :banana: Joost is not joining for the festivities.

Riley

Note: This thread is 1751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!