IGNORED

Putter Weighting

Note: This thread is 3523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a new putter and I feel like I want it to weigh more. I came out of a mallet belly putter and went into a Scotty Cameron golo

I can add weight the question is how much? Right now there are 2 15 gram weights in it. The choices are 20, 25, 30 and I think 35.

I play on greens that go from 10 to 11 on the stimp and my miss is short. Any insight?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a new putter and I feel like I want it to weigh more. I came out of a mallet belly putter and went into a Scotty Cameron golo

I can add weight the question is how much? Right now there are 2 15 gram weights in it. The choices are 20, 25, 30 and I think 35.

I play on greens that go from 10 to 11 on the stimp and my miss is short. Any insight?

What's it weigh now? My understanding is that, generally speaking, the vast majority of off the rack putters are too light in the head. I like a putter head to be at least 350g and closer to 360g. I also like a little counterweight in the handle which can be done easily with these: http://thesandtrap.com/products/tour-lock-pro-weight-40-gram/reviews/4941

Since you already spent a fair chunk on the Scotty, I'd suggest you plop down some cash for a starter pack of Tour Locks of varying weights and a bunch of varying weights for the Scotty head and spend a day at the practice green looking for your ideal recipe. I seem to recall reading several times that putting is your biggest weakness (my apologizes if I'm confusing you with another poster), getting the right weight profile in your hands can make a massive differenec in your putting.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You probably want to do some lag putting tests with various weight.

I'd suggest you get some nickels and a gram scale.  Tape nickels together in pairs of 20, 25, 30 g.

Tape the nickel sets in pairs to the top of your GoLo and see which weighting gives you lag putting consistency;

(and yes, I've done this previously)

or buy several sets of weights from TItleist.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

What's it weigh now? My understanding is that, generally speaking, the vast majority of off the rack putters are too light in the head. I like a putter head to be at least 350g and closer to 360g. I also like a little counterweight in the handle which can be done easily with these: http://thesandtrap.com/products/tour-lock-pro-weight-40-gram/reviews/4941

Since you already spent a fair chunk on the Scotty, I'd suggest you plop down some cash for a starter pack of Tour Locks of varying weights and a bunch of varying weights for the Scotty head and spend a day at the practice green looking for your ideal recipe. I seem to recall reading several times that putting is your biggest weakness (my apologizes if I'm confusing you with another poster), getting the right weight profile in your hands can make a massive differenec in your putting.

Thanks for the reply.  I am not sure what it weighs, I searched around and can't find a number for the stock putter.

I guess a basic question is how much is a lot of weight in a putter head?  10 grams, 20?

I am a pretty good putter by the way, I have issues but that is not it.

You probably want to do some lag putting tests with various weight.

I'd suggest you get some nickels and a gram scale.  Tape nickels together in pairs of 20, 25, 30 g.

Tape the nickel sets in pairs to the top of your GoLo and see which weighting gives you lag putting consistency;

(and yes, I've done this previously)

or buy several sets of weights from TItleist.

Yeah nickels are great way to dummy up various weight combos. Each nickel is a hair under 5g and they're small enough diameter to tape to the butt of the grip as well as the head.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I bought the starter tour lock shaft weights.  It came with the cutter which worked well.  It does appear to even out some of what I was having a problem with.

I came from a belly putter and because the club is not anchored the head actually felt heavy and some times lagged behind the handle input.  I know that sounds odd but with the belly putter I had developed very soft hands which does not work with the standard putter it takes more of a firm grip since the club is not pivoting on the anchor point.  Not crazy firm just more firm.

I tried out some weights at home and it is very difficult to tell.  My only putt-able carpet runs around a 14 which will was hard to test on.  Tonight I will go out to the practice green with the weights and bag of nickles and tape and see what I find.

Thanks for the input I will report back.

I suspect that when you find the right combo you'll "know" right away. I have modified two putters now to fit my weight profile and with both of them it feels like I'm rolling the ball with my hand, the putter ceases to be an external implement and becomes one with my body. Trippy, I know, but that's the only way to describe it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I did not have time to experiment last night before league.  Ping was there and I had to try out the G30 driver and fairway woods.

I did play in league with a 60 gram weight in the handle and the club felt much better.  My speed was much better and I did hit some long putts, we won also.  I will have a chance to experiment this weekend.  I am not sure I want to add weight to the head.  I'll try it out but it is feeling pretty good right now.

The CB weight in the shaft will add to the overall weight of the club, which may help in general. IT does change the balance of the club so you do not feel as much head weight. Some report that the CB weight in the grip helps quiet their hands.

It's a balance between CB weights and putter head weight -- finding the balance for you that produces the best results.

You may want to take a pad of paper and chart the results with each combo of weights from 5, 10, 20 feet so you can chart dispersion/results to find the best combo.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 60 grams in the shaft and it feels better.  I have not added weight to the head.  I do not know if it is related to the weight but I went on a golf weekend and putted terribly.

Before the added weight I had trouble with speed on longer putts.  After the weight I was having trouble hitting short putts, lots of trouble.  I am not sure if it is related.  I was away so I am going to see if it was an anomaly or a trend.

I have had 60 grams in the shaft and it feels better.  I have not added weight to the head.  I do not know if it is related to the weight but I went on a golf weekend and putted terribly.

Before the added weight I had trouble with speed on longer putts.  After the weight I was having trouble hitting short putts, lots of trouble.  I am not sure if it is related.  I was away so I am going to see if it was an anomaly or a trend.

When you say "in the shaft", what does that mean ... exactly.

Did you pour sand down the shaft? a no no.

When you say "in the shaft", what does that mean ... exactly.

Did you pour sand down the shaft? a no no.

No I bought the tour lock shaft weights that Ernest pointed out above.  I guess I should have said handle.

No I bought the tour lock shaft weights that Ernest pointed out above.  I guess I should have said handle.

To eliminate questions, I'd go for a SAM Putter Lab Lesson and see what the instructor and/or SAM says about setup, aim, grip, contact, loft, etc.

or  if that is not possible now...

Add lead tap to the head (bumpers or sole) to gain a little more head feel. Lighten the grasp on the grip to feel the head... see what your lag putting does. On short putts, relax more, especially on grip and arms. It could be you're a bit stiff on shorties.

Note: This thread is 3523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!