IGNORED

Does a fade have to go shorter than a draw?

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A "power fade" is a well-aimed slice that ends up in the fairway.

LOL - this is my 'go-to' shot

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Here is an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal where Lee Trevino is quoted as saying, “Fades won’t go as far for you,” With irons, he said, he usually hits draws a club to a club-and-a-half farther than he hits fades, and off the tee 20 yards farther.

The entire article is found at:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204482304574220271513874890

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfreuter415 View Post

Here is an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal where Lee Trevino is quoted as saying, “Fades won’t go as far for you,” With irons, he said, he usually hits draws a club to a club-and-a-half farther than he hits fades, and off the tee 20 yards farther.

The entire article is found at:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204482304574220271513874890

Quote:
he is famous for saying. Fades, which curve from left to right for a right-handed player, are easier to control than draws, which curve in the opposite direction, because the ball doesn’t stay on the clubface as long and thus has less internal spin, he said

In the realm of Physics this is way off. If you strike the ball in the center of the face, with the same clubhead speed. The difference the ball, "Stays on the club" would be negligible, because the ball stays on a club for a VERY VERY VERY short amount of time.

Quote:
Mr. Trevino’s version of the shot, at least—the clubface is held open, with limited rotation, for as long as possible. In hitting a draw, the clubface releases, or rotates shut, quicker. That’s what gives draws extra spin and also makes them less reliable, he said. The timing has to be more precise.

This is because Trevino played a push fade. So for him to hit a draw, he would have to probably feel like the club has to rotate A LOT through impact. Yet in both cases, a draw and a fade the club rotates. Actually for most players who fade the ball, who tend to pull fade, the clubface is rotated more than those who hit a push draw. For Trevino, this might be his feel, but it might not be what happens for everyone.

Quote:
“Fades won’t go as far for you,” Mr. Trevino acknowledges. With irons, he said, he usually hits draws a club to a club-and-a-half farther than he hits fades, and off the tee 20 yards farther.

Again because Trevino hit a push fade. Compared to a pull fade, the push fade has more loft and in effect plays as a weaker club. For him to draw it, which he describes as releasing the clubface. He is shutting down the face and taking loft off, so he will hit it farther. He probably played a straight to pull draw. Again depends on the type of shot played.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Lucky man (and probably 1 in 100). I started off slicing. As I got better my miss became a hook, which no question gets me in more trouble than any slice ever did. However, I hated the slice so bad that to this day nothing pisses me off more than seeing a ball go right, even though it's always a block now, not a slice. Still ruins a round.

Hmmm. No I wouldn't say lucky. Cursed comes to mind first.

I hate hooks with a passion, and I still hit way too many of them.

You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen.

hooks are creeping into my game as I'm improving, so I can relate ... love the last sentence above !!

Only thing I can add is that if you ever wanted to see both Nicklaus & Woods, the old saying was just stand about 300 yards on the RIGHT side of the fairway.  THey both played the power fade, which in their case seemed to be plenty long...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!