IGNORED

Putter - putter head - more weight or less?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 6098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think for better distance control, a heavier head might be better for me. I'm currently using an old model Ping Anser putter and compared to other putters, say Odessey's or Titliest's or the newer Ping Ansers, my putterhead feels light. It's easy for me to get jerky on the backswing. I think more weight will make for a smoother swing.

Any opinions?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think for better distance control, a heavier head might be better for me. I'm currently using an old model Ping Anser putter and compared to other putters, say Odessey's or Titliest's or the newer Ping Ansers, my putterhead feels light. It's easy for me to get jerky on the backswing. I think more weight will make for a smoother swing.

Yes, weight does seem to help many people with there putting stroke, I have tried the heavey putter in stores and made almost all of my short putts, but I could not make any over about 10 feet, a felt that the weight of the putter made me accelerate through the ball much more and made it harder to hit, which made me go past the hole by a few feet, but its all opinion and what you like

Driver- 9.5 905R
Woods- V-Steel 15*
Hybrid- Rescue Dual 16*
Irons- 3-P Project X 5.5 Wedges- Vokey 54* and 58* Putter- Scotty Ball- Bridgestone B330-S

Tried a heavy putter. No distance control whatsoever on long putts. In fact, several times I put the ball further away from hole from where I originally was. Guess the reason for this is that unlike most other people I rely on hands and arms more than shoulders to control my putting stroke. The weight of the 'heavy' putter simply did not allow me to do this.

It's definitely an individual choice. I once had a mallet head putter for just a little while. I liked it on short putts, but could never get my touch down on long putts. I like a smaller head putter, but I'm use to fast greens where I can put a nice stroke on it, and not feel like I have to bang it to get to the hole. But on tour you see a lot of the two-ball putters being used, as well. It just comes down to finding a putter you feel comfortable with.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

put some lead tape on the sole of the putter and see if that helps.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

what are we defining the weight of a heavy putter to be? what could be light for me is heavy for you? try taking longer strokes, thus allowing the acceleration of the putter head add the distance you need.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

I switched to a much heavier putter this year from a lighter blade I had been using for over 10 years. I was having problems both pushing and pulling putts of 3-8 ft. and it was causing me a lot of 3 putts. I also used to be an excellent lag putter but the past several years it had gotten worse and I was leaving myself way too many 5+ ft. second putts.

I have never really liked mallet putters but tried an Odyssey 2-ball blade over the winter and it fit my eye and felt good in my hands. I still had the problem of push/pulls and distance control with it though. Then I read an article about heavy putters and how they help with taking the "small muscles" (which the article claimed cause pushes and pulls) out of the stroke. Since I couldn't find any heavy putters I liked, I decided to look around at components online and found one I liked. I built a putter and immediately liked it. It's a 2-ball style blade putter amd it was pretty inexpensive to build. Here's a picture: Since I have had this putter in my bag this year I've dropped about 4 putts per round from my score. Yeah, it's helped that much and I have been going two or three rounds without three putting now. My lag putts are much closer and anything inside 10 ft. I feel confident I will make. For me it's made a real positive difference in my putting.
Tried a heavy putter. No distance control whatsoever on long putts. In fact, several times I put the ball further away from hole from where I originally was. Guess the reason for this is that unlike most other people I rely on hands and arms more than shoulders to control my putting stroke. The weight of the 'heavy' putter simply did not allow me to do this.

I putt with a mostly arm and shoulder "pendulum" stroke. I wouldn't recommend a heavy putter to someone that uses a lot of hands and wrist as the heavy putter head seems to make any small errors in the putting stroke much worse. When I hit a few "wristy" strokes with my heavy putter the distance control was all over the place and very hard to control.

what are we defining the weight of a heavy putter to be? what could be light for me is heavy for you? try taking longer strokes, thus allowing the acceleration of the putter head add the distance you need.

My new putter head is just over 400 grams. The total putter weight is about 575 grams. Most putter heads are around 300 grams. So in my case, the new putter is about 1/3 more heavy than most putters. You can definitely feel the weight difference when you compare it to say a Scotty or Ping Anser.

The Heavy Putters are a lot heavier, about 900 grams. I have a friend that has one and he is deadly with it but it feels just a little too heavy for me.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Have you ever tried a center shaft putter? I've hit the odyssey two ball CS white hot XG. It's amazing how it kept my allignment straight. 575g is heavy but not that as heavy as the "Heavy putter" is. For me i have a problem gaging the speed of the ball, specially on fast green with heavy putters.

HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

For me, heavier is better.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

Have you ever tried a center shaft putter? I've hit the odyssey two ball CS white hot XG. It's amazing how it kept my allignment straight. 575g is heavy

Yeah I tried just about every kind of putter known to man this past winter. For some reason I've never felt comfortable with center shafted putters, same with rounder mallets (a lot of them seem to be center shafted). I guess my eye likes an offset blade look and every putter I've had for 30+ years was an offset blade. This putter is kind of a cross between a 2-ball and a blade.

I am thinking about building another heavier 2-ball putter that has a double bend shaft though. It's similar weight to my current putter and I kind of like the looks of it. That's a nice thing about club building, it lets you try some different things (heads, grips shafts, shaft length etc.) pretty inexpensively. It's crazy, I built the putter I'm playing for about $30 total. It's not that I'm cheap, I like messing with the clubs and it was the best of all the putters I tried. Okay, I'm a little bit cheap...

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Note: This thread is 6098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!