IGNORED

Aaron Baddeley Stack and Tilt

Diggitydog
Note: This thread is 5763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is Baddeley using the Stack & Tilt as described by Plummer / Bennett

• Yes
    • No
    • Who cares

I was watching the BMW Championship, and they showed a lot of Aaron Baddeley in the final round as he was in contention with "God Woods" I was wondering if you think that Baddeley is actually using the Stack and Tilt method as described in the article of June / September Golf Digest.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

• Administrator
I was watching the BMW Championship, and they showed a lot of Aaron Baddeley in the final round as he was in contention with "God Woods" I was wondering if you think that Baddeley is actually using the Stack and Tilt method as described in the article of June / September Golf Digest.

I think he uses a variation of it, say, half-ish of the "technique." He straightens the right leg, takes the club back low and inside, and so on... I don't know that he's really "springing" and he doesn't finish in quite the same positions, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he uses it. I don't care what you teach it's going to look a little different on everyone. To me, his swing didn't look any different at the BMW than it did earlier in the year or his positions in that article.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Whatever he is doing, Aaron played a lot better than when he was in contention a few weeks ago. Obviously the experience helped him.

How depressing it must be to play in the final group with the lead, shoot 66 and still lose by two shots? It's tough out there!

SubPar

I think he is using it, I was curious as to what others think. I agree with Iacas that he doesn't appear to straighten his left leg hard but really I think he's performing the swing as it should be done. He was playing some solid golf.

I felt bad for him and Stricker they got run over by the Tiger train.

In My Bag:
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

• 2 weeks later...
He is using B+P's method, but as mentioned the swing looks different with everyone. I am currently 3 months into lessons with this style. My swing looks nothing like Badd's although I wish it did, it's just the body make up. Stack and Tilt is nothing more then a zero weight shift swing. I've noticed even tiger keeping his spine more onto of the ball, by no way does this mean he's a S+T, it's just a more reliable way to reduce movement ie swaying back and through. Just my 2 cents

IN THE BAG-
Driver Adams 8.5 Insight XTD YSQ-65 Stiff
Nike Sumo2 3 wood
Nike Sumo2 3 hybrid
Irons Taylromade r7 Steel shaftCallaway X 60 degree wedge MD groovesPutter Scotty Cameron Newport

The funny thing about Stack and Tilt when looking Badds these days is, he's definitely stacking but not much tilt left like the pic's in GD which did a poor job, I heard they put a new article out anyone able to confirm ?

IN THE BAG-
Driver Adams 8.5 Insight XTD YSQ-65 Stiff
Nike Sumo2 3 wood
Nike Sumo2 3 hybrid
Irons Taylromade r7 Steel shaftCallaway X 60 degree wedge MD groovesPutter Scotty Cameron Newport

There is an article on the September issue 2007 of Golf Digest. Vijay is on the cover, it's a followup to the first article in Golf Digest. Andaluzian I would say that his tilt is not as defined as the article shows and his left leg doesn't really crush the can like Bennett / Plummer talk about but his swing is a version of the S&T; method.

I personally use Stack and Tilt, and if I don't commit to the tilt my shots start to miss, I don't hit them as I expect. I orginally found the tilting portion to be the most difficult part mentally as you feel like you are going towards the target but it's important to commit to the tilt as the articles describe. I've actually tried to overcook the tilt in practice and it's hard to overdo it, meaning that I tried to tilt too much to see how far was too far in the range of motion and I wasn't able to tilt so far that I hit it poorly. (without being ridiculous). Honestly though nobody has watched my swing and asked if I was reverse pivoting at all, they usually ask how I get the ball to fly like it does.

It's been said before but is worth restating, the swing will look a bit different on everybody. Baddeley has refined the stack and tilt so the moves are fairly subtle. He's striking the ball with a high degree of proficiency this season.

In My Bag:

my instructor has been teaching me the stack and tilt for about almost 2 years and the thing about the stack and tilt is that the pictures you see or the description your reading is an exaggeration and by exaggerating you are able to keep about 85 percent of your weight on that left side and a 15 percent weight transfer on his driver shots he still incorporates the stack and tilt but not as much as it is exagerated in golf digest

BTW THIS IS MY OPINION

Driver: HS9 F 10° w/ Speeder 553 shaft
Fairway wood: X 3 wood 15°
Irons: 695MB 3-PW
Wedges: Spin milled oil can 56°
Wedges: Vokey oil can 52°Putter: Newport 2 (had 2.5 selling it now pm if u want)Ball: Pro V1 (5,6,7,8)

I didn't know it, but I have been using the S & T as a remedy and practice drill. I have a tendency...well, a BIG one... to sway to the back leg sort of Jimmy Ballard-like, but stay there too long, then swing over the top. The S & T weight distribution on the front helps my swing TREMENDOUSLY. So now I'm working in that feeling permanently. I have NO idea whether I'm doing the Stack and Tilt, but it feels as if I am and my shots are much more solid.

Then again, next month, who knows :)

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Reg Steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

Why not just read the articles on Stack and Tilt and give it a try. Maybe you'll complete the puzzle with what you're working on.

In My Bag:

when the golf digest first printed the stack and tilt article, i immediately went to the backyard and starting trying it, hitting balls into my net. Let me tell you, I hit every single one flush, and hard. I was hitting a 4 iron off the ground, and you know when you hit a long iron and can't feel the ball hit the club its that clean? every one felt like that.

However, after about 20 swings, my lower back was really really sore. Now, I'm a bit overweight, and a lot out of shape, so I'm sure thats why it hurt, but if i could use stack and tilt without hurting myself, i would.

Driver- TM 580XD 9*
3w- Adams GT extreme 15*
2H- Snake Eyes 653TH
4-gw Snake Eyes Viper Tour 1/2" long, 2 degrees up
wedges:TM chrome RAC 56*putter: Odyssey 2 ball DFX ball: Srixon Z-URC

when the golf digest first printed the stack and tilt article, i immediately went to the backyard and starting trying it, hitting balls into my net. Let me tell you, I hit every single one flush, and hard. I was hitting a 4 iron off the ground, and you know when you hit a long iron and can't feel the ball hit the club its that clean? every one felt like that.

I remember the article in GD September issue where Bennett / Plummer said there wouldn't be any problems with the back when they're challenged by one of the top 50 PGA instructor (I've forgotten who, was it Jim Flick?). Hell, they were even challenged by a lot of top PGA instructors and B&P; arrogantly implied their method is better. Remember when they compare S&T; with conventional swing side by side in GD June? Notice how ugly the conventional swing they make? Come on now.

I stand by Butch Harmon that Stack & Tilt isn't for everyone. P.S: Hope your back is getting better.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

my back is fine. its a weight thing. my current "conventional" swing doesn't cause me any pain. In fact, after a few days without golf my back starts to tighten up and hurt. Then on Saturday morning, I pull out the weighted club on the first tee, and every vertebrae cracks. Voila! No more pain. It feels great.

Driver- TM 580XD 9*
3w- Adams GT extreme 15*
2H- Snake Eyes 653TH

I'm a fairly fit guy and I have no issues with my back on this swing. I would say that S&T; is a more dynamic swing for the core and body than the current tour style swing.

godofcable, maybe you can use the goal of being able to use Stack and Tilt as a reason to get into better shape. If you do you'll be happier about more than just using a new golf swing!

Good luck, if you have questions about it don't hesitate to ask in the proper forum on here, I can help you out with it if you want.

In My Bag:

I'm a fairly fit guy and I have no issues with my back on this swing. I would say that S&T; is a more dynamic swing for the core and body than the current tour style swing.

I should have lots of motivation to lose weight, but i don't have the time. I know, thats what everyone says. But right now, i;m working an average of 60 hours a week, and it varies from the middle of the night to an all day marathon. My plan for this winter is to setup a few old pieces i have in the garage, i have a total gym, a treadmill, and an ab lounger that were given to us by my father in law. i hope to start a routine this winter that i can do whenever i have time. As far as switching to stack and tilt, my current swing is doing ok for me, i don't see the need to switch. i carry a 9.4 index, and my problem is the short game. i'm a decent putter, but i don't have a lot of time to practice chipping and pitching. what little practice i do get in those areas comes a few minutes before each round.

Driver- TM 580XD 9*
3w- Adams GT extreme 15*
2H- Snake Eyes 653TH

• 2 months later...

I watch Baddeley at the Australian Masters at the weekend and it looks like he's using as conventional a golf swing as anyone else.

So, No - he isn't employing S&T.;
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!