IGNORED

Dropping Flag

roverT7
Note: This thread is 6067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it poor etiquitte to drop a flag on the green, as opposed to laying it down? I've always thought this the case, as I thought it damaged the green, but I recently played with a very good, experienced player who did the same. What's the consensus?

Thanks,

T

• Administrator
Is it poor etiquitte to drop a flag on the green, as opposed to laying it down? I've always thought this the case, as I thought it damaged the green, but I recently played with a very good, experienced player who did the same. What's the consensus?

If you can drop it so it doesn't damage the green, do so. I tend to put the butt end of the flag on the green, drop the tip as low as possible without really bending, and let go from there.

If you drop the flag while holding both ends in the air, damage is likely as one of the ends will dent the green.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Or you could just jam it in the green 20 feet from the hole, ruining the green and making the group behind you aim away from the hole thus wanting to kill you. Good Times

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

Or you could just jam it in the green 20 feet from the hole, ruining the green and making the group behind you aim away from the hole thus wanting to kill you. Good Times

driver & woods
fatshaft II irons
588 wedges
putter
tour ix ball gps

I actually was taught to lay it off the green on the fringe as to not damage the green, just a habit now. Most people I play with lay it on the green but these are the same guys that walk in my putting line

In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

It seems more "acceptable" these days to put the butt end on the green, and let the flag fall to the ground. I suppose it doesn't damage the green. But I cringe everytime I see someone do it. But yes some experienced golfers that I play with do it.

I put the butt end down, then I hang onto the flag, so the stick is roughly a few inches from the ground and then drop it.

Some people go and put in on the fringe, but I think that's too far away, usually, from the hole.

I believe that it should as close to the hole as possible, without interfering with the play.

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

I put the butt-end down, extend my arm then release. If the green is soft, I'll tilt over a little on one leg and gently drop it while holding the flag itself.

I agree, that the fringe is sometimes too far. It makes it tough on the guy who has to go get it.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

We actually did that once. The group behind us had obviously already had there share or beer from the cart girl and started hitting on top of us for a couple of holes. We came to a long dogleg par 5 where the green is somewhat hidden from the fairway, when we putted out were still out of their view, and planted the flag in a large bunker behind a rolling mound to the left of the green. We could hear the cursing from the next fairway.

But back on subject. I usually will lay the pin down by holding the flag and dropping gently.

Regards,
Spyder

In the 07' R7 stand bag R7 425 9.5* Proforce 65 V2 (s) R7 Ti 3 wood ReAx (s) R7 draw rescue 19* ReAx (s) R7 TP irons 4-pw DG-S300 TP black RAC wedges: 52/8, 56/12, 60/6 F2 Hamilton HM4 or Scotty Cameron Red X2 cs Nike One platinum GolfLogix GPS8

I don't consider myself and etiquette guru, but I do what I feel is most necessary. This is one of the things I don't find necessary. I will gently toss the flag out of the way onto the fringe, and I haven't noticed any damage. Otherwise, I'll drop it on the green (though I have tossed it quite a few times). Once again, I've never noticed any damage to the green. Then again, when someone who I was golfing with told me to hurry, then scolded me for walking in his line, well, let's just say I had a few choice words for him , so take my opinions on etiquette with a grain of salt.

I always place the butt end down, slide my hand down to the flag and hold the flag then gently place it down about 5-7 ft away from the cup.....

If I'm tending the flag I'll let the butt end of the stick rest on top of my shoe, so it won't dent the green. If I'm the only one playing, I'll put the flag down. I'll go as far as I can without bending much, and let it go from there.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator
One other thing I'll sometimes do: put the butt end of the flagstick down, then lower the flag end down to the ground with my putter. You just put the flag in against the heel of your putter and the shaft and lower it to the ground.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I put the butt end down, then I hang onto the flag, so the stick is roughly a few inches from the ground and then drop it.

This is what I do as well.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

One other thing I'll sometimes do: put the butt end of the flagstick down, then lower the flag end down to the ground with my putter. You just put the flag in against the heel of your putter and the shaft and lower it to the ground.

This is exactly what I do if I am by myself. If I am with a group, I will set it on the fringe, closest to the hole.

I actually was taught to lay it off the green on the fringe as to not damage the green, just a habit now. Most people I play with lay it on the green but these are the same guys that walk in my putting line

I do the exact same thing.

Only difference is when I play by myself I don't even bother with taking the flag out.

I'm a put it on the fringe guy as long as you don't have to walk a mile to do so, otherwise I'll do like others have said and put the butt end down first. I've also done the lower it with the putter thing.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

+1

Been doing it this way for 30 years.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Note: This thread is 6067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!