IGNORED

SC Newport 2

Note: This thread is 6871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey folks.... I picked up a Scotty a few months back and it is clearly too long. I'm choking down a full inch. Its a 35" putter and I'm needing it in the 34" range. Can you comment on how to cut it down and how this might effect swing weight and any other issues I need to think about? I'm not sold on doing it myself BTW, just curious what I need to think about to keep this putter well balanced should I have it shortened a bit.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cutting it down will lighten the swing-weight - you will feel slightly less weight in the head therefore.

Once grip is removed (either cut off carefully - not marking the shaft if possible - with a stanley blade - or syringe it off with petrol,white-spirit etc if you want to preserve the original grip) you can cut the shaft down with a hacksaw if careful,or more preferably a shaft/tube cutter (make sure its got a sharp blade in it ).You can then use double sided tape and some sort of petroleum based solution (either petrol,white spirit,turps etc ) to activate the tape so that you can then re-fit either the original grip if you can remove it,or fit a new grip of your choice.

You could do this and then try the putter as it is,or if you find it is indeed too light,you could make it a little heavier again by the way of some sticky lead tape attatched to the head on the outside - equal amounts on the heel and toe perhaps,or perhaps by ramming some small pieces of lead tape or some lead shot right down the shaft (before grip is fitted) and ramming down with a long rod and sealing in with a piece of cork etc so that the extra weight is way down at the bottom of the shaft - almost inside the head so to speak - and this way wont effect the outside appearance at all.

Both ways are reversable,and the shaft can always be extended again by way of a old shaft to use as an extension if you either dont like it as 34",or want to return to 35" at a later date.

Have a go yourself - BE BRAVE MAN !!!!!!!!

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

Have a go yourself - BE BRAVE MAN !!!!!!!!

Now thats the kind of advice I like to hear. What the heck right? The worst thing that can happen is that I'd have to replace a shaft (gasp). I'll quite chewing my nails and start hacking on the thing. Thanks for the encouragement.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

GODSPEED JOHN GLEN....

Well,ok,perhaps the moment isnt quite that historic

Keep us informed ! How about a few pics of a "new mastercraftsman" at work ????? lol

GOOD LUCK.

• Administrator
I've always bought my putters an inch longer than I'd like. That extra inch comes in handy when you have 80 feet to the hole. The rest of the time, there's nothing wrong with gripping down a little.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've always bought my putters an inch longer than I'd like. That extra inch comes in handy when you have 80 feet to the hole. The rest of the time, there's nothing wrong with gripping down a little.

I keep my approach shots inside of 80 feet, so I don't worry about having to choke down.

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

If you're going to cut a shaft down, I'd recommend a trip to Home Depot. Buy a pipe cutter, it'll make your job much easier. You can also pick up mineral spirits, it does that same thing as 'grip solvent'...and it's a little cheaper.

Good luck and enjoy! Once you start tinkering, you're not going to be able to stop.

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Taylor Made 510TP 8.5 w/proto Aldila NV 65X
Wood: PT 15 bore thru, X100
Hybrid: 503H, 19 deg, S300Irons: 680, 3-PW, Freq. Matched X100Wedges: Black Nickel Vokey 54.10, 60.08Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Oil CanBall: ProV1x

I was always taught that the main reason we all complain as golfers is "inconsistancy".Hardly surprising in a game where holes,shots,wind, weather,temerature,companions,courses,countries,continents etc etc are all variables.The only possible two consistant factors are you,(the golfer) and your equipment.

Regarding gripping "up" your putter for those long putts - you now have a different green,a different length putt,a different speed,a different break,a different view of the ball,AND of your intended line due to your slightly changed posture,AND effectively a different putter (by changing the length) Isnt that making more variables ? Where is the consistancy in that equation ?

Small difference's perhaps i admit,and im sure it works for some people otherwise they wouldnt advise it !!!!!!

Im not disagreeing - its only my/one point of view.Just throwing other idea's into the fire.....

For some reason that extra inch that I have to choke down on the putter bugs me. It doesn't sit right for me and so I'd like to make it a bit better. Plus the greens that I putt on aren't that long and I suppose when I do get an 80' putt I'll just have to "get creative" as golf commentators are so fond of saying.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I cut my Macgregor down from 35 to 33.5. The hacksaw blade was a bit blunt so I used a grinding disc (Only do this if you are competent). Luckily on the macgregor there is a weight at the back, when I took it out there was a hollow section so I added some lead tape then screwed the weight back in - jobs a good'un

8.5 TM R7 TP, Aldila NVS stiff
14 PING TISI TEC, Grafalloy Tour stiff
16 TM Rescue, Aldila NV stiff
3 - PW PING S59 Tours
52 Mizuno MP T Black Ni57 Mizuno MP T Black NiMacGregor Bobby Grace M5K

• 2 weeks later...

Just a good sharp blade and a new found sense of courage! (ok maby a little off the wall but we will stick with courage because it sounds good!)

Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after all the fuss, I was passing by Golf Discount with my Scotty in the trunk and popped in to buy a grip and ask a couple of questions and walked out with it cut down. This putter feels awesome. It puts a great roll on the ball and as I said, feels like a million bucks. It is now 34 and 1/4 inches... feels like a totally different stick.

It has displaced the Yes! Olivia that I have grown so fond of. Olivia has treated me well, but my bag matches with the Scotty. Plus people can say, "Oooohhhh. Scotty!" when I pull it out. Actually nobody says that... its just a day-dream.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

You're nuts..don't mess with your SC. Once you do and you want to sell it no one will touch it..it really throws off the weight and it was designed to be that long. If you want a shorter Scotty..buy one..choke down.

oops..too late..

You're nuts..don't mess with your SC. Once you do and you want to sell it no one will touch it..it really throws off the weight and it was designed to be that long. If you want a shorter Scotty..buy one..choke down.

Correct, I am nuts. But that has little to do with the Scotty I chopped. And yes, too late. I sure like it now, even though it's ruined.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• Administrator
Correct, I am nuts. But that has little to do with the Scotty I chopped. And yes, too late. I sure like it now, even though it's ruined.

It's only ruined if you can't use it to make putts. If it works for you, that's hardly "ruined."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's only ruined if you can't use it to make putts. If it works for you, that's hardly "ruined."

true, I was just thinking for those avid collectors that are looking for OEM specs..I chopped a Carbite BB series and it worked for me too..

Note: This thread is 6871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!