IGNORED

Who has more pressure - Tiger or Fringe Player?

tigerwoo
Note: This thread is 6063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who has more pressure?

• Fringe Player
    • Tiger

Fringe Player:
- pgatour player fighting to make the cut, trying to stay inside the 125 moneylist or go to Q-School, travelling with the public and having to claim your own baggage and/or even vanpooling with other fringe players to tournaments that are clustered together

Tiger Woods: maintaining the #1 status, having to live up to everyone's expectations and surpass Jack's all time records, $100 million sponsorship dollars per year, having to be a spokesman and act a certain way in the public eye.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

Tiger's life seems pretty nice to me!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I go with the Fringe player. Tiger is already set for life. He can pick & choose when he plays. Most players don't have that luxury.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

Yes, but does Tiger feel pressure to maintain his performance level? What if he sags and isn't No 1 in the world? How would his sponsors treat him then? Less money? Less respect? That has to be on his mind.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

I think Tiger is under considerable pressure (even more than the hard working fringe guys); Tiger just has so many more expectations and commitments to live up to. However; I think Tiger has been programmed since birth to deal with the pressure, and is certainlly more adept at meeting his expectations.
"There is no miracle tip. Fix your swing."

In the bag:
Sumo2 w/ Aldila VS Proto 60g S
Halo 2h Apex Pro 4-PW Vokey 2 52.08/56.10/60.04 Red X #3 34" Tour Deep

• Administrator
I think the fringe player. They make 150,000-200,000, but spend close to that on travel and expenses.

They make $600k if they're a fringe player. If they're making only $100k or $200k, they ain't even CLOSE to keepin' their card. They're way outside the fringe.

And endorsement contracts, the weekly "tee it up" contracts, can just about cover your travel.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fringe players have the pressure, working at pizza hut or pro golf tour next year. Tiger can finish in the top thirty and never have to worry.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Tiger doesnt have to worry about deals and contracts etc. The pressure that tiger is under comes from himself and his own expectations. The fact that he is performing way above everyone else is that he has higher expectations of himself and works harder to achieve his goals.

Driver: Callaway Hyper X Tour
5 Wood: Ping G5
Irons: Cobra fp 4-SW
Bag: Powakaddy
Ball: Srixon soft feel

The Fringe Player. These guys are grinding it out every tournament they enter to survive so they can make a living doing what some of us would kill for. While $150k-$200k is a nice income for most of us, it's nothing for a PGA Tour Player and will not let them keep their card.

Tiger had the heavy pressure early in his career, but like other's said, he's set now. He can focus exclusively on winning and not worry about anything else.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Tiger seems to thrive under pressure watching everyone else crack. I think he enjoys a challenge. Most fringe players just want it so bad and one shot or missed cut can make the difference in their employment status. That's pressure.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Fringe player, without a doubt.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

My vote goes to the "Fringe Players" becuase when you are standing over a putt that means one of the following which do you think has more pressure:

1) Feed family (pay bills, etc..)

2) Retain your #1 status

I think the first one has more pressure...

My wife and I were just discussing this last night. I was trying to get her to undersatnd the pressures of the Tour life becuase she thinks they all have it so easy and I explained it like this: I go to work everyday and I get paid (salary) whether I perform well or not. What if I had a tournament coming up this weekend and my back was bothering me and we needed the money. I would still have to play and in order to get paid I would have to play very well (with a sore back). Much different pressure then I think most of us realize. However, on the flipside it is this pressure or RISK that allows for the opportunity to make a lot of money. Pay for peformance is risky but can be rewarding if you are willing to face the challenge and succeed. Just my 2 cents

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I would say they are both under a ton of pressure, but for different reasons. The fringe player is trying to get a pay check. Tiger is trying to live up his and everyone else’s expectations.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Note: This thread is 6063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!