IGNORED

My Swing (AbsoluteTruths)

AbsoluteTruths
Note: This thread is 1142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 hours ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

https://youtu.be/Sw74fN3Euc4

Still not transferring my weight.

Look how much your right knee has moved to the right when related to the bucket of balls in the background.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

31 minutes ago, collapse said:

Look how much your right knee has moved to the right when related to the bucket of balls in the background.

That is caused by me squatting when I get to the top of my back swing instead of turning.
And from what @iacas said I am not even turning back and I can see that.

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

That is caused by me squatting when I get to the top of my back swing instead of turning.
And from what @iacas said I am not even turning back and I can see that.

Yes, just look at your avatar and remember what you did with Mike in the airport.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am going to see Chuck Waltz on Friday. He has what he calls Adult Day Care or supervised practice. Hope to report back with some good results.

Doug

This will probably cause controversy so take a deep breath and listen to some soothing music before replying.

During my time here on this site and studying 5Sk is when I have developed this squat in my swing. I am not saying it broke me I am positive I am doing the weight shift wrong. But I want to show you a picture of what I saw that gave me the thought to bend both knees on the downswing.

I saw @mvmac doing it but I could not find that picture so here is a picture of Chuck Waltz demonstrating a Chuck Evans drill that shows you what I mean.

5655af5d75280_chuckwaltzdownswing.jpg.82

Doug

• Administrator
1 hour ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

This will probably cause controversy so take a deep breath and listen to some soothing music before replying.

During my time here on this site and studying 5Sk is when I have developed this squat in my swing. I am not saying it broke me I am positive I am doing the weight shift wrong. But I want to show you a picture of what I saw that gave me the thought to bend both knees on the downswing.

I saw @mvmac doing it but I could not find that picture so here is a picture of Chuck Waltz demonstrating a Chuck Evans drill that shows you what I mean.

5655af5d75280_chuckwaltzdownswing.jpg.82

I don't understand, as that appears to be a downswing piece. Where's the whole video? We're talking about your backswing.

You don't turn your hips much, or extend your right (trail) knee very much. 5SK doesn't teach a squat in the backswing… if anything, we've written about each of these countless times:

• trail knee extends
  • right hip raises, rotates, and does not move closer to the "wall"
  • torso turns 80° or so by A3 in most good players

We have a down-the-line view of several PGA Tour golfers at the top of the backswing in our training manual showing these things, kind of the opposite of a squat.

Any "squatting" we'd ever teach anyone would be in the downswing. The trail knee goes from mostly extended back to its address bend at around A5-A6, but not any more than that. The lead knee stays flexed and helps the hips slide forward a bit.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is a down swing. At A6. In my opinion I have two major issues. Lack of back swing turn and no forward weight shift. This post was addressing the later. 

I will post the full video later I have to go to work now.

Doug

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

This is a down swing. At A6. In my opinion I have two major issues. Lack of back swing turn and no forward weight shift. This post was addressing the later. 

I will post the full video later I have to go to work now.

Okay.

But the backswing is your priority. Your downswing dynamics will change, so you can either:

• Fix the backswing, then work on the downswing.
  • Fix the downswing, fix the backswing, and then go back and fix the downswing again because the backswing made it different.

Your priority is the backswing, IMO. I don't know why we're talking about the downswing and Key #2. Do the backswing better and the downswing will be easier. :-)

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Your priority is the backswing

Yeah I agree with this @AbsoluteTruths. You kind of "squat" into your backswing, don't extend your trail leg or turn your hips don't turn very much. Those things are related. Do this drill and you'll feel the difference. 

What you're seeing with a "squat" on the downswing is more of a result of other things and isn't really a conscious move, at least not on my part.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

Yeah I agree with this @AbsoluteTruths. You kind of "squat" into your backswing, don't extend your trail leg or turn your hips don't turn very much. Those things are related. Do this drill and you'll feel the difference. 

What you're seeing with a "squat" on the downswing is more of a result of other things and isn't really a conscious move, at least not on my part.

Thanks a lot @mvmac I think that drill is really going to help me a lot. I just tried it here at work and I really do feel the difference.

You are correct that the downswing squat is unconscious. I do not feel like I am squatting. I feel like I am turning. It is frustrating to take video and when I get home and see the squat.I cannot see the screen on my camera at the range because of the glare and screen size.

You all have a Happy Thanksgiving. We all have so much to be thankful for.

Doug

Put down that second helping and come look at some back swing improvement. This is after I practiced the wall drill suggested by @mvmac Watch on the DTL view were the ball comes flying back at me and I dodge it. Don't worry they are Almost Golf balls. I think I am getting a better turn. But I am flipping. Oh well one problem at a time.

Doug

Yeah that's a lot better!

Would also help to set-up will the hips not as far back. Feel like they are "bumped" a little forward.

5657a497b8db8_hipcenter.thumb.jpg.35562c

Mike McLoughlin

Had a real good productive lesson with Chuck Waltz this morning. He identified a couple of key issues with my swing and gave me drills. I am swaying in my backswing and flipping through impact. Two big power leaks.

Doug

Took some video this morning in the misty rain. Not much change in the looks of the swing but I am making much better contact with the ball. Still not getting into a full backswing. I guess that is what is causing me to lunge at the ball on the down swing. The first move I make on the downswing is to jut my right knee towards the ball. 

7i went straight with a little draw.

Driver that had a little draw.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Shot a 98 yesterday. 44+54 mental issues on back nine with a group pushing us. That always bothers me for some reason.

Hitting the ball crisper. More distance and cleaner contact. Still working on the two priority pieces Coach Waltz gave me. I think I have corrected the swaying in the back swing piece and will have to get some video to see if I have stopped flipping.

Will try to get some video this week.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I read something about how the right hip powers the shift of the weight to the left on the downswing. I have a bad habit of lifting my right heel too soon. So I started pushing off the inside of my right foot on the downswing in my mirror practice at home.

Is this a good thought or feeling?

Doug

On 1/11/2016 at 7:01 PM, AbsoluteTruths said:

Is this a good thought or feeling?

Depends on how the feel changes or doesn't change the picture. One feel may work for one player and not for another player.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 1142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!