IGNORED

My Preferences (If Forced!)

iacas
Note: This thread is 3438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
@iacas really interesting thread!  Any way you could do something like this around launch monitor numbers?  Obviously everyone is a little bit different but would it be possible to put something together on what kind of numbers you would be looking to produce (based around an average speed swing) for things like launch angle, spin, peak height...etc for driver, 3 wood, 4i, 6i, 8i, and pw?  Could be useful to know what is too spinny/not spinning enough, too low, or launching too high or low when buying clubs/hitting balls into a net where the only way to know what the ball is doing is through the launch monitor numbers.  This would be especially helpful if the person selling the clubs doesn't understand the numbers themselves and cant explain them to you.  Having a launch monitor there doesnt really help all that much if you dont know what is good/bad.  Thanks!

This help? :-)

LPGA: http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/7/7b/7bf4b213_2013-04-16-TrackMan_LPGA_Tour_Averages-page-001.jpeg

PGA: http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/d/d0/d09e4bed_2013-04-16lTrackMan_PGA_Tour_Averages-page-001.jpeg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This help?

LPGA: http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/7/7b/7bf4b213_2013-04-16-TrackMan_LPGA_Tour_Averages-page-001.jpeg

PGA: http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/d/d0/d09e4bed_2013-04-16lTrackMan_PGA_Tour_Averages-page-001.jpeg

Yes it does.  Thanks!

So i guess the next question is whether the PGA average numbers match up with the preferences from the original post is there anything there that the pros do that stands out as different? :-)

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

Hey @iacas ,

When taking a mid-point read would you err towards the target or the ball?

Maybe that's not clear...

If a player were to misjudge where the midpoint is, would you prefer that they take their read beyond the midpoint (closer to the hole) or prior to the midpoint?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Hey @iacas,

If a player were to misjudge where the midpoint is, would you prefer that they take their read beyond the midpoint (closer to the hole) or prior to the midpoint?

Maybe I'm wrong, but my guess would be closer to the hole. By the time the ball gets there, it's traveling slower and so the slope in that area will have more of an influence.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Hey @iacas,

If a player were to misjudge where the midpoint is, would you prefer that they take their read beyond the midpoint (closer to the hole) or prior to the midpoint?

Maybe I'm wrong, but my guess would be closer to the hole. By the time the ball gets there, it's traveling slower and so the slope in that area will have more of an influence.

That's definitely my thoughts as well and I do generally err slightly to the "slower" side of the putt.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

You are wrong. If that were the case we wouldn't bother to do it at the midpoint at all - we'd do it near the hole or something. :)

@Ernest Jones , you should err toward where it's a little steeper, if it is. If it's all the same, who cares if you're a little closer to the ball or the hole.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You are wrong. If that were the case we wouldn't bother to do it at the midpoint at all - we'd do it near the hole or something. :)

@Ernest Jones, you should err toward where it's a little steeper, if it is. If it's all the same, who cares if you're a little closer to the ball or the hole.

And now I know... thanks.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

@Ernest Jones, you should err toward where it's a little steeper, if it is. If it's all the same, who cares if you're a little closer to the ball or the hole.

So the speed (or time) factor is already fully factored in by the math? I guess so, eh? Bit of a duh! moment for me there, lol. I often take a read at the 3/4 point if I feel that green slopes more severally over the last bit. I always kind of ignored any oddities on the first half because I figured that the speed of the first half of the putt would smooth out any extra steep bits along the way whereas the last half the ball has more time to break so any odd steepenings or big planar shifts would be magnified...uhh...kind of circling back to my duh! moment here...

I get it, but it'll take a while before I grok it.

Thanks for turning the light on.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

So the speed (or time) factor is already fully factored in by the math? I guess so, eh? Bit of a duh! moment for me there, lol. I often take a read at the 3/4 point if I feel that green slopes more severally over the last bit. I always kind of ignored any oddities on the first half because I figured that the speed of the first half of the putt would smooth out any extra steep bits along the way whereas the last half the ball has more time to break so any odd steepenings or big planar shifts would be magnified...uhh...kind of circling back to my duh! moment here...

I get it, but it'll take a while before I grok it.

Thanks for turning the light on.

Imagine a 40 foot putt. The first half is 3% left to right, the second half 3% the other way. The aim is straight. If it breaks 30 inches in the first 20 feet… it's pointing at a spot to break 60+ inches over the last 20 feet. Early break is "less" but it greatly affects the angle the ball is traveling across the slope(s).

Note: This thread is 3438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!