IGNORED

Please help me choose a lob wedge :)

Crim
Note: This thread is 3398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really like 60's.  I still have a few years back Cleveland CG12 black pearl 60* with 11 bounce that I could hit full swings to 95 yds and also was very good from short pitch shot range as well.  I wouldn't recommend any more than a 60*.  I think you can still open up the face for pitch shots, but still hit full shots on command as well.  Brand doesn't matter, they're all about the same.  I just got a new set of wedges and look to try them out-Nike Pro Cavity S and L.  Only reason I got them was because it was such a good deal on them and I haven't changed wedges in YEARS.  So we'll see how I get on with them.  If you really like what you have, try looking for a 58 or 60 of a similar club with similar bounce.  That will give you similar feel as you're used to on the pitch shots, but the lower loft will allow you to hit more consistent full wedge shots.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks trickyputt, I asked around and found a really really good club fitter in the area. He should be able to narrow down what sort of bounce and grind I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure I have a steep wedge swing which turns into big divots. I think a lot more bounce will do me a lot of good. I'm not sure how much bounce my 64 has, but I don't think it's much. I may also post a video of me pitching/chipping with my 64 just to confirm my steep swing. I don't like hitting flop shots (unless I'm in a bunker of course) and I don't like using my 64 in the bunker. I think it's because of the lack of bounce...I usually just slide right underneath the ball without much *oomph*.

Well be careful about assuming its all your swing. The way I was told, the shorter clubs simply close faster, and wedges get played with a touch of an open stance or back in the stance sometimes as a result. Post video and the gurus that be can make pointers.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

One thing to check is the shaft lengths on your wedges.

For numbered irons, the rule of thumb is: 4* loft and 1/2" difference in shaft length means a 10 to 12-yard yardage gap for the average golfer.

In wedges, most companies have gone to 1/4" shaft increments between wedge groups (G, S and L), so that can influence distance.

For the lasts several wedge models, Cleveland has gone to only 1/8" difference in shaft length between the different groups: Here's example from RTX 2.0 model.

• PW = 35.5"
  • GW = 35.375"
  • SW = 35.25"
  • LW = 35.125"
  • L+  = 35"

So, 6* gaps in loft may not play out as much in yardage gaps if you have minimal differences between shaft lengths.

If you can gauge different wedges from model, that's the best way to check your distance "yardstick."

Also, some wedges have hotter faces than others. My Callaway X20 Tour irons have a 46* PW with a 35.5" shaft. My 50* Cleveland CG14 GW also with a 35.5" shaft, but the PW flies about 12 yards farther. Something to be aware of when you mix OEMs and models of wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Couple more questions...if I have a 52 SW, should i go with a 58 LW? and if I have a 56 SW...then 60 LW? What golf stores do you guys like for getting fitted? I'm in the Minneapolis area...we have things like GolfSmith..Golf Galaxy...etc. Would it be better to get the wedge before or after Christmas? price-wise.  I've been reading about bounce quite a bit, but it looks like I should be fitted for my bounce, but most big name stores don't do that. What should I do about bounce? thanks all

consider mackdaddy 60•10 worth it

consider mackdaddy 60•10 worth it

I like what I've read about the mack daddy, there's a 60-14 online, but I still feel like I should properly be fitted.

Anyone have a ball park how much a fitting for a wedge is?

I've never been fitted before, don't know how these things work.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

... Let's imagine giant bounce, what 25*. How could the leading edge be close to the ground? I'm not saying you advocate such as this but to say, as much as possible yet keep edge close, seems open ended.

There are other ways to keep the leading edge close to the ground - heel and toe relief, grind, and sole width are all variables that factor in.

This Ralph Maltby article covers different aspects of wedge clubhead design which determine effective bounce :

http://ralphmaltby.com/50

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I like what I've read about the mack daddy, there's a 60-14 online, but I still feel like I should properly be fitted. Anyone have a ball park how much a fitting for a wedge is?  I've never been fitted before, don't know how these things work.

fitted..hit the lie board on full swing.. Adjust lie.. They are forged..if other sw is same length no adj needed

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you are getting fitted. Two ways to figure out wedges. The first and most common is to practice, play and play more. You learn from your existing wedges (may or may not fit your swing type) which one you need kinda by feel with varying distances. The second way, and what helped me understand why certain things happened with my wedges was during a wedge fitting. Cool thing, I only had to tweak one wedge regarding loft. But I did have to get two newer wedges. They had identical specs (ie loft/enght/lie) but a different sole grind (shape of sole of club) due to my swing type (told me I dig, real deep :). Has really worked out well.

My new LW is fantastic, if I could fall in love with inanimate object, I would marry this wedge right now. I trusted the club fitter to find something good, we tried 4 or 5 different clubs and ended up with a 60 degree Mizuno (i'll edit this with the exact model soon.) The bounce is perfect though I forgot what its at. I was taking nice crisp 3/4 swings and consistently hitting it to the same spot 70 yards away. I could only hit my 64 consistent from 40 yards!!!

It's so nice knowing that I have a club that I can practice with from anywhere 70 yards and in. It's also great knowing that I don't have to deloft this club at all like I had to do with my 64 all the time.

Very satisfied.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Note: This thread is 3398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!