IGNORED

What makes a good golf store?

Tooz
Note: This thread is 3354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The type of people in the shop are what make it. Obviously you need to have a good selection of equipment and apparel. There is a store i refuse to go to near me here in dallas.....The store itself is one of the nicest i've seen. Apparel and equipment selection are amazing - they like like 8 hitting bays and a massive putting green. But i refuse to go there cuz the staff sucks. They either couldn't care less if you have a question or they are annoyed if you want to try hitting a couple of clubs. They ask questions like "so are you actually going to buy something or are you just here to hit?". And now they literally CHARGE you $20 for half an hr to hit clubs in their simulator bays. golf galaxy near southlake texas - i'll never go there again. So don't do what they're doing.

Trickyputt you've kind of got the gist of what I was saying. Using Michael Jordan as an example to pick his brain about basketballs and my game in particular is not exactly what I was thinking but it's close.

If you've got a golf oriented store and you're wanting feet in the door and dollars in the till, then it stands to reason that getting some famous or semi-famous players in the door for a meet and greet could help business. That's my opinion.

They don't even have to be pros that everyone knows... they can be the lesser known players. That would get them some potential fans and the customers can still get potentially good tips from a player that's on the tour. Could it be Phil? Maybe... if Callaway requests his presence there... but that would probably necessitate the store making lots of sales of Callaway merchandise.

Aside from that, personally, I'd prefer it were Salma Hayak discussing my basketball game than Michael Jordan... sure, he's one of the greatest players ever but I don't play basketball and I think Salma's hot.

That's just my opinion. I know in reality a lot of what I suggested wouldn't work but I think a lot of golfers, hackers, duffers, and posers would be drawn to a store that was able to have Natalie Gulbis or Rory McIlroy, or Phil Mickelson, or Davis Love 3rd, or Paula Creamer, or Patrick Reed, or whomever offering tips on chipping, putting, driving, or whatever.

Is it realistic? Probably not. I don't even think the big box golf stores are able to get pros into the stores but it'd be nice if it were a mom and pop that was able to do it. But I've never really been 100% a realist.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

Trickyputt you've kind of got the gist of what I was saying. Using Michael Jordan as an example to pick his brain about basketballs and my game in particular is not exactly what I was thinking but it's close. If you've got a golf oriented store and you're wanting feet in the door and dollars in the till, then it stands to reason that getting some famous or semi-famous players in the door for a meet and greet could help business. That's my opinion. They don't even have to be pros that everyone knows... they can be the lesser known players. That would get them some potential fans and the customers can still get potentially good tips from a player that's on the tour. Could it be Phil? Maybe... if Callaway requests his presence there... but that would probably necessitate the store making lots of sales of Callaway merchandise. Aside from that, personally, I'd prefer it were Salma Hayak discussing my basketball game than Michael Jordan... sure, he's one of the greatest players ever but I don't play basketball and I think Salma's hot. That's just my opinion. I know in reality a lot of what I suggested wouldn't work but I think a lot of golfers, hackers, duffers, and posers would be drawn to a store that was able to have Natalie Gulbis or Rory McIlroy, or Phil Mickelson, or Davis Love 3rd, or Paula Creamer, or Patrick Reed, or whomever offering tips on chipping, putting, driving, or whatever.  Is it realistic? Probably not. I don't even think the big box golf stores are able to get pros into the stores but it'd be nice if it were a mom and pop that was able to do it. But I've never really been 100% a realist.

Salma is one of my all time favorite bikini wearing vampires. Hotness with a devilish flair. Advertising for any sized balance sheet is a matter of scale. Large lump sums kill businesses by stealing from other budgetary overheads and thus profits. It is really just a question of scale. If a group of private stores joined together in an ad platform to support larger scale efforts, they might be able to work a multimedia and appearance program with Salma that would do well and stay around 7-10% of sales, and they may even be able to afford her white python too. Individually, perhaps only a cardboard cutout of Salma in the store that patrons could use to take a selfie. Where the real problems lay is in the area of perceived vs actual demand. It doesnt take a lot of money out of your pocket to find out what people are doing, just time and work as you see the people to ask them. However, perceive incorrectly from an armchair and your money will evaporate as you spend in support of an erroneous idea. If you sign a multiyear business liability on a perceived demand that is incorrect, may God have mercy on those you support.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Aye, there's the rub. Not everyone is interested in Salma hotness vampire or not. Nor would everyone be willing to go meet Phil, Paula, or Rory. There are those that would be willing though.

Sadly, I fear that the local golf store would not be able to draw in a big big name such as Tiger, Phil, Rory, or Michele Wie to attract the masses...

But! Possibly getting with Bridgestone, Cobra, Callaway, TaylorMade, or whomever and they bringing their truck out for a free fitting day might work. Have the event catered by Hooters girls and you've got a swingin' time right there.

It might be questionable for Hooters girls to attend though. Possibly you could get something from a local sports team? Such as an admission that Billy Ray Joe Bob's Golf Emporium is the one and only place that meets the needs for the Miami Dolphins or Tampa Bay Rays or something... and working out an endorsement deal with the front office. Heck, it could be the Pottstown Pea Shooters for all that it matters. Exposure is a good thing. Name recognition is even better. If you can get your store into the foreheads of everyone around, you've won a major portion of the battle. Being "that golf joint that had those Hooters girls" might seem tacky (to some people) but you're in their minds... "Bikini girl and man thong Monday's... where fitting is FUN!damental to the game. Come on in and our enthusiastic staff of cheesecake and beefcake will do their very best to ensure that your clubs are fit to your game."

Sorry. I'm rambling now. I'll stop

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

That is the problem, as I see it, because now folks can have all three.  Get the service and quality from the store and then the price on the internet.  Until the store closes, that is.

I think a store could work but it would have to be in a high density AND intensity golfing area.  Like a Myrtle Beach or a Coachella Valley.

Maybe as an exercise ask players you encounter where they bought their clubs.  Hmmm, or maybe a poll?

I get where you're coming from Turtle...the way I look at the "Price, quality, service...pick any two" concept means it's near impossible to get all three benefits from one retailer (the store where the purchase is made), but I understand the point you are making.

Here's a true story...shortly after the TaylorMade r7 drivers came out about 4 guys who hung out at the local golf shop found a place online that was selling them for about $75 less than their home shop.  The picked the employees brain for information, hit the shop drivers in the hitting bay to figure out what loft and shaft flex the wanted, then ordered them online.  It appeared they got service, quality and the best price.  A couple of weeks later one of the drivers developed a rattle in the head.  The guy wanted the local shop to send it back to Taylor Made for warranty.  The shop suggested he have the place where he bought it send it back.  Of course the place was in California and he would have to ship it back and it would have been a pain-in-the-ass.  So he asks the local shop if they could just repair it in-house.  When he brought the driver in, immediately they knew it wasn't a real r7...it was a forgery.  He tried to contact the seller with no response.  It turned out that the other 3 guy's heads also started to rattle.  They all had to cut their losses, and from the place they bought from the didn't get service, quality or a good price!

I agree that a city with a year-round season is key...that's a good point.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's a true story...shortly after the TaylorMade r7 drivers came out about 4 guys who hung out at the local golf shop found a place online that was selling them for about $75 less than their home shop.  The picked the employees brain for information, hit the shop drivers in the hitting bay to figure out what loft and shaft flex the wanted, then ordered them online.  It appeared they got service, quality and the best price.  A couple of weeks later one of the drivers developed a rattle in the head.  The guy wanted the local shop to send it back to Taylor Made for warranty.  The shop suggested he have the place where he bought it send it back.  Of course the place was in California and he would have to ship it back and it would have been a pain-in-the-ass.  So he asks the local shop if they could just repair it in-house.  When he brought the driver in, immediately they knew it wasn't a real r7...it was a forgery.  He tried to contact the seller with no response.  It turned out that the other 3 guy's heads also started to rattle.  They all had to cut their losses, and from the place they bought from the didn't get service, quality or a good price!

That is true, forgeries are an issue online - in person too, but at least you can look at and touch the club before you lay down your cash.  And just like with brick and mortar stores, online stores get a reputation, for good or bad.  And places like this are a good way to find out about the reputation of onlne sellers.

As to the 4 guys you mention, you gotta love a story when karma kicks in so perfectly.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!