• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
jamo

Sang-moon Bae Faces Military Duty in South Korea

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

As a retired Marine, I'm here to tell you, it's not the job of the military to turn anyone into "a better person", or worse "to help them growup".  It's a hard enough job without having to put up with the dregs of society that would be forced upon them for a period of time under a mandated period of service.

No thank you.

1.  Awesome, maybe my posts won't get deleted now that you quoted this last one.

2. I never said it was the job of the military to do anything.  And I'm sorry you had to deal w/all the dregs of society in the USMC.  As a lifer, maybe you could have formed the voluntary dregs into better people.

12 minutes ago, 26point2 said:

1.  Awesome, maybe my posts won't get deleted now that you quoted this last one.

2. I never said it was the job of the military to do anything.  And I'm sorry you had to deal w/all the dregs of society in the USMC.  As a lifer, maybe you could have formed the voluntary dregs into better people.

Huh?

You misunderstead.  The Marines, soldiers, and sailors with whom I served were among the best America has.  It remains my great privilege to have served alongside them, in war and in peace.

However, a lot of that is due to our all volunteer military.  Those that serve, choose to do so, and have to meet stringent requirements ( even in the Navy ;-) ) to do so.  With mandated service, the military becomes little more than a babysitting service for a large portion of the population for several years.

If someone doesn't genuinely want to be in the service, I don't want them there...certainly not when my life, and that of my Marines may depend on them.  Again, no thank you!

Edited by David in FL

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Huh?

You misunderstead.  The Marines, soldiers, and sailors with whom I served were among the best America has.  It remains my great privilege to have served alongside them, in war and in peace.

However, a lot of that is due to our all volunteer military.  Those that serve, choose to do so, and have to meet stringent requirements ( even in the Navy ;-) ) to do so.  With mandated service, the military becomes little more than a babysitting service for a large oration of the population for several years.

If someone doesn't genuinely want to be in the service, I don't want them there...certainly not when my life, and that of my Marines may depend on them.  Again, no thank you!

I have a lot of response to this, but for respect to iacas, I'm more than willing to take this offline to PM.

45 minutes ago, 26point2 said:

I have a lot of response to this, but for respect to iacas, I'm more than willing to take this offline to PM.

Don't bother.  This is completely apolitical.  If you can't discuss it that way, then leave it alone.

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Don't bother.  This is completely apolitical.  If you can't discuss it that way, then leave it alone.

Typical USMC response....if you can't respond intelligently then quit.  Well done Leather Neck, well done.

Edited by 26point2

10 minutes ago, 26point2 said:

Typical USMC response....if you can't respond intelligently then quit.  Well done Leather Neck, well done.

And you wonder why I deleted your earlier posts. Even though I quoted specifically and only that small portion, and said "no political conversations please." And yet, despite this and having two or three of the same posts deleted, you're calling someone else out for responding unintelligently? Hmmm…

Let me be abundantly clear. This conversation falls under the umbrella of being political.

And even if you disagree with that, you're both being jerks right now, so shut up. So much for proving that the military makes "better people."

Spoiler

And because it's my site, and I can make up rules like "I get the last word on this one, tough"…

Bullshit this country would be best served by six months of mandatory military service. I was able to best serve this country working immediately out of high school WHILE attaining three degrees and then, after graduation, becoming even more gainfully employed and paying my taxes. The military wouldn't have done squat to help me, except to waste six months of my life doing push-ups or whatever the hell else you do in basic training and afterward. Would it help some people? Sure. Would it help the country as a whole? I doubt it.

No response necessary. Of course this is political. How else do you think that such a mandate would be carried out? Clue: BY THE GOVERNMENT. By law. By politicians enacting such a law. Of course it's political. The military usually is.

On 8/27/2017 at 1:34 AM, David in FL said:

Huh?

However, a lot of that is due to our all volunteer military.  Those that serve, choose to do so, and have to meet stringent requirements ( even in the Navy ;-) ) to do so.  With mandated service, the military becomes little more than a babysitting service for a large portion of the population for several years.

South Korea is a completely different culture though. Its not as selfish as Western culture and much more community/family centric AND given South Korea has a very real threat just north then it is drummed in to them from the get go that they MUST to their bit for their country.

The guy should have got his military service out of the way years ago while he was a younger.

Now he has to deal with the consequences of his decision to fight and delay as long as possible.

Mailman

Hopefully this wont sound political!

All four of my uncle's on my Mums side were in the military, 1 in the navy, 1 in the Duke of Wellingtons infantry, 1 in the royal artillery and the last in the Royal tank regiment, the latter serving in Aden during the insurgency in 1962 as a tank comander.

All of them were called up for national service in the late 50's for the 4 years mandatory service and all stayed on afterwards (one Uncle training to be a padre)

National service worked back then as being in the military was seen as an highly respected and noble occupation. I was always told to join up with either the artillery ("get the biggest gun you can and stay far away from the front as possible") or the armoured division ("Sod the artillery, get a tank its similar just with more protection").

I could never do it, just wasnt for me, plus with bad knees i wouldnt have passed the medical.

I'll finish with a little trivia. The uncle that was in the Royal Tank regiment (became the Royal Armoured Div) had the "distinction" of crashing the first delivered Chieftan tank into a ditch and getting its stuck......He was advised to stick with commanding them!

Sangmoon played the Shinhan Donghae open and didn't make the cut. He was +7 over two rounds. 

4 birdies, 9 bogeys and a double. Think it is an ok start after 2 years out of competition. 

Considering he had two years where he, in all likelihood, he didn't touch a club that's not a terrible return. I hope he can come back to his top form so that he doesn't feel as though his chances at a career were taken from him.