IGNORED

Ball in water.

CalderwoodMike
Note: This thread is 3376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vangator

I was virtually certain. So was my opponent.

On the outside chance that you are interested in learning what to do under the circumstance that you described, I would suggest that you ask a simple question. Where else could the ball be? If no where else, then choose an option under Rule 26. If some where else, the ball is lost. Since your ball "hit a tree," and could not be found, it is lost. End of story.

As an official, I also ask the question, "Where did the players look?" If they looked in the rough or some distance from the hazard, then I know that they are NOT "virtually certain" that the ball is in the hazard, so again, the ball is lost.

This is how it would be ruled if the competition was properly managed.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On the outside chance that you are interested in learning what to do under the circumstance that you described, I would suggest that you ask a simple question. Where else could the ball be? If no where else, then choose an option under Rule 26. If some where else, the ball is lost. Since your ball "hit a tree," and could not be found, it is lost. End of story.

As an official, I also ask the question, "Where did the players look?" If they looked in the rough or some distance from the hazard, then I know that they are NOT "virtually certain" that the ball is in the hazard, so again, the ball is lost.

:offtopic: Do your really have 6 Aces, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to die with only 1. :8)

Regards,

John

Actually, I do. But having played golf for 54 years, that's only 1 every 9 years. Always a shock when the ball goes in.

I feel the same on pretty much any shot longer than 4 feet.

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

:-)

Actually, I do. But having played golf for 54 years, that's only 1 every 9 years. Always a shock when the ball goes in.

Well I'm averaging 1 per 40 years.  Don't suppose you only play par 3 courses? :-)

Regards,

John

Note: This thread is 3376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!