IGNORED

Erin Hills 2015

cipher
Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to caddie at Erin Hills and the bottom picture is of the old 4th hole. The green isn't there anymore. It's up and to the left. If you can't drive the ball in the 250 range consistently don't play the blues or blacks. There are a ton of forced carries that require 250 yards in the air to get over the tall stuff from the backs. The caddies normally played the blues on calm days for a challenge and greens when it was windy. That's just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice. Any other tips or suggestions?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit it straight and far.

Bring a dryer sheet (keeps mosquitos away), vanilla extract (keeps gnats away), and extra balls. If you can afford it, take a caddie.

Thank you Mr. Sprout!!!! We will be getting caddies. If you don't mind indulging us further, how are the greens; undulating, fast, etc? Also, in your opinion is it harder of the tee (hitting fairways) or approaches to the green? Is the tall stuff pretty much death?

V

Vishal S.

We are?

My apologies Jake, I didn't mean to speak for ALL of us. I had spoken to Nate a couple of weeks ago and told him I was probably going to change my mind and then at some point I decided that for sure. He seemed like he would be in too. This is a big trip for me and I think reading a few blogs and reviews of the course made me realize that I could greatly use the services of a navigator, if not as much to carry the bag. Caddies are expensive so no issue if anybody wants to opt out which was my original stance.

Sorry again.

V

Vishal S.

Thank you Mr. Sprout!!!! We will be getting caddies. If you don't mind indulging us further, how are the greens; undulating, fast, etc? Also, in your opinion is it harder of the tee (hitting fairways) or approaches to the green? Is the tall stuff pretty much death?

V

The answer is yes. Tall stuff is wedge out or take a penalty (knee deep in most places). Tee shots are visually intimidating but fairways tend to be generous at the landing areas (provided you choose the right tees). Approach shots are difficult as greens are multi-tiered and fast, or hidden from view, or both. Trust the yardage and trust your feet on the greens.

The answer is yes. Tall stuff is wedge out or take a penalty (knee deep in most places). Tee shots are visually intimidating but fairways tend to be generous at the landing areas (provided you choose the right tees). Approach shots are difficult as greens are multi-tiered and fast, or hidden from view, or both. Trust the yardage and trust your feet on the greens.

Super!!! Thank you.

Vishal S.

So are we think about doing round somewhere the 9th or is it just Erin on the 10th?

Nate posted yesterday plan for Watertown CC (his home course) on Sunday the 10th, I think around 2-2:30 not sure. I will get in at MKE airport at 12:30, he is picking me up (what a guy!) and then to the course. He's got coupons and I think a warm up round would be great. Will you and @99prblms make it?

Vishal S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLug View Post

Nate posted yesterday plan for Watertown CC (his home course) on Sunday the 10th, I think around 2-2:30 not sure. I will get in at MKE airport at 12:30, he is picking me up (what a guy!) and then to the course. He's got coupons and I think a warm up round would be great. Will you and @99prblms make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

So are we think about doing round somewhere the 9th or is it just Erin on the 10th?

I screwed things up with my schedule up guys.  I have something that I need to attend to the afternoon and evening of Sunday the 9th. I will of course be able to be at Erin with you guys on the 10th.  I originally made sure that the 10th was clear, and had a brain malfunction about about the 9th.  So here is my revised plan:

@GolfLug I will pick you up at the Airport when you arrive on the 9th, and can take you to the course, to hopefully meet up with @Jakester23 and @99prblms if they can both make the golf on Sunday.  I was thinking we could book a tee time at Naga-Waukee at around 2pm.  I won't be able to make that round with you guys which sucks.

I did talk to my parents and they are going to be in town that weekend.  So it looks like we will have to arrange a hotel for you guys.

I do think that this is a good option for the stay, it is about as close as you can get to Erin and also very close to Naga-Waukee or a bunch of other courses nearby.

Quote:

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Delafield

3030 Golf Rd
Delafield, WI 53018

For Monday the 10th at Erin.  I was thinking we could go out to breakfast(actually @GolfLug 's idea) together before the round.  I would pick anyone up that needed and I thought we could meet somewhere near the hotel before heading out to the round. It will be good to eat something before we attempt to walk 8 miles through rolling hills. :-)

@Jakester23 do you have any other thoughts for a place you guys could play on Sunday?

I apologize guys that I messed up my schedule for the 9th.  I was really looking forward to getting two rounds of golf in with you guys as well.

I am happy to help coordinate and arrange the Sunday round and I will still be able to help get you from the airport to the course Sunday as well @GolfLug .

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

I screwed things up with my schedule up guys.  I have something that I need to attend to the afternoon and evening of Sunday the 9th. I will of course be able to be at Erin with you guys on the 10th.  I originally made sure that the 10th was clear, and had a brain malfunction about about the 9th.  So here is my revised plan:

@GolfLug I will pick you up at the Airport when you arrive on the 9th, and can take you to the course, to hopefully meet up with @Jakester23 and @99prblms if they can both make the golf on Sunday.  I was thinking we could book a tee time at Naga-Waukee at around 2pm.  I won't be able to make that round with you guys which sucks.

I did talk to my parents and they are going to be in town that weekend.  So it looks like we will have to arrange a hotel for you guys.

I do think that this is a good option for the stay, it is about as close as you can get to Erin and also very close to Naga-Waukee or a bunch of other courses nearby.

For Monday the 10th at Erin.  I was thinking we could go out to breakfast(actually @GolfLug's idea) together before the round.  I would pick anyone up that needed and I thought we could meet somewhere near the hotel before heading out to the round. It will be good to eat something before we attempt to walk 8 miles through rolling hills.

@Jakester23 do you have any other thoughts for a place you guys could play on Sunday?

I apologize guys that I messed up my schedule for the 9th.  I was really looking forward to getting two rounds of golf in with you guys as well.

I am happy to help coordinate and arrange the Sunday round and I will still be able to help get you from the airport to the course Sunday as well @GolfLug.

Absolutely no worries Nate. You are putting in quite a bit as it is. I will still be up for the Sunday afternoon round somewhere. Got nothing else to do all afternoon :-). I hope Jake and @99prblms can still make it. I will still play regardless.

Vishal S.

I am thinking we should probably play the Greens at Erin as well...

Nate

When on Monday?

It is up to you guys, but the blue tees at 7200 yards sounds rough to me. Maybe there is a blue/green combo even.

Nate

Absolutely no worries Nate. You are putting in quite a bit as it is. I will still be up for the Sunday afternoon round somewhere. Got nothing else to do all afternoon :-). I hope Jake and @99prblms can still make it. I will still play regardless.

I would love to come down sunday and play a round also... ultimately it's up to the wife... she already is a little upset that I'm paying 250 bucks for 18 holes of golf at Erin Hills... so it'll take some convincing...

I would love to come down sunday and play a round also... ultimately it's up to the wife... she already is a little upset that I'm paying 250 bucks for 18 holes of golf at Erin Hills... so it'll take some convincing...

Ha ha yeah Sunday is probably out for me as well. As far as tees go I'd be fine with playing from the greens or blues.

@GolfLug Here is the area around the hotel.  There will be quite a few dinner choices that are very close to you.  I forgot to put Five Guys on the map but that is there as well.  I thought that whoever wanted to, could meet up Monday morning, either at Panera or we could head to a cafe close by or something like that.  From here Erin is just straight North up 83 for about 20 minutes or so.

Also Naga-Waukee is probably one of the best municipal courses in Wisconsin, and it is a very reasonable option for Sunday.  It is a traditional style course with some great views and some neat elevated tee shots.  It was designed by Larry Packard who did Copperhead at Innisbrook and also my club Watertown CC.  It would be a great two day golf trip for you I think.  Two very different and fun courses. The back nine at "Nag" has some great views.  Here is how close it is to you. :-) If there is any way that I can swing even nine holes with you I will do it.

Nate

It is up to you guys, but the blue tees at 7200 yards sounds rough to me. Maybe there is a blue/green combo even.

I feel stupid as hell... :doh: . Didn't realize you were talking tees. Didn't even cross my mind. Thought you were talking some Par 3 secondary course called 'Greens' at Erin. Ha ha ha.

But yes, I have no desire to play 7200 yards. Green tees limit. Not sure about even the combo. Often repeating scenario if we play blues: Hit an out of the shoes drive on a par 4, get to the ball and then ask the caddie if I can use my 'looong' iron to get to the green from there and he smugly replies: Not yet. :-D

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!