IGNORED

Any Balls Comparable to Titleist Pro V1?

Note: This thread is 2705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've heard Titleist say to decide on a ball by asking what you want it to do around the green, and work backwards.

My guess is they want you to assume that all balls of that caliber have similar long game distance, so find the high caliber ball that does the dance you want in your short game.

Mr. D is right...Titleist has been preaching this for a long time.  This method sounds good in theory, but I think there are better ways.  When starting around the green, players tend to choose the ball that has the best bite (most spin).  When players start hitting half to full shots with a wedge, the overall performance of a ball will be masked by the effect of loft and backspin. Spin is obviously important...I don't mean having the most spin, but having the correct amount of spin. Try testing the ball the way it's played...from tee to green.  The driver is the longest club in the bag and has the least amount of loft, so it will reveal a player's tendencies more obviously than say a wedge. I'm not saying that this way is perfect...there are pros and cons with any method, but I think testing in reverse can back you into a corner.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
    • It's the nature of posting text only, I guess.  Sarcasm, mood, tone, etc don't always come through to the reader like you imagine it when writing.  (I know this very well first hand :)) For the record, I read your "Saudi" post as a tongue-in-cheek joke, so it wasn't a total miss. 🍻
    • I guess this is the thread to put this in, read a rumor that the PGA might be guaranteeing 500K to exempt players. So if one makes 100K for the year, he gets 400K. Will have to wait for details after meeting is over.
    • I guess I can see it, but I don't know if I have the right personality to be onboard with that. If I get done with a lesson and can't hit the ball at all, I would be very frustrated. Can't honestly say I'd stick with it if that were the case, like @Vinsk. For me, hitting bad shots is expected, but I'm also expecting to hit some good shots, too. You hit hooks on the range with your driver when you make swings at speed, right? Then you're likely to hit some while playing, as well. Your good shots are getting better, right? And happening more frequently? I think a big part to committing to a change while playing is accepting that you're going to hit some bad misses, too. I'll straight up top the ball at least once a round. Hell, I almost whiffed playing with @DaveP043. It was kind of a "well that happened" moment, but then I had basically the same shot again because it might have moved a foot and hit that one well. I'm guessing quite a few of us are like this. Especially if they're commenting in this topic. That's why I own a set of Mizuno MP4s. But they've been in the basement for a couple of years because I eventually decided to get clubs that work for me  You can't really tell someone their feel is wrong, especially if it's been validated with video. Right, that's what I'm saying. I know I'm going to hit bad shots. But I should hit good shots, too. Yea but that's like once or twice, right? Not like you took a lesson and couldn't find the ball with the clubface for a month straight, like how @Vinsk described. Or a support group. Like maybe a website of some sort full of other people with golf problems  If the feel going back is right, then stick with it and find the right feel for the downswing. It may be that all the time you spend on the range is working against you, because you have so many more reps of your regular swing baked in than I do mine that it's harder for you to retrain your muscles. If you could somehow turn mindlessly hitting balls into focusing on changing a particular aspect of your swing as your meditation, you'll probably make those changes.
    • Lol. No worries. Stay around! We may all learn something valuable. And hey, I’ve embarrassed myself spectacularly worse than you on this site many times….cheers!
    • Well, at this point I'm inclined to bow out. I think I've embarrassed myself enough for one day  and, worse, this is starting to make me think about what I'm doing to get where I'm getting, which is one thing of which I'm trying hard to rid myself. Good luck with your goals!
  • Today's Birthdays

1. dalefleury
      dalefleury
      (79 years old)
    2. dmkalan
      dmkalan
      (67 years old)
    3. JarrettLeger
      JarrettLeger
      (30 years old)
    4. Ratherbegolfing83
      Ratherbegolfing83
      (39 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...