IGNORED

Any Balls Comparable to Titleist Pro V1?

Note: This thread is 3294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are a lot that are comparable to Pro V1s. Basically any companies "premium" or "tour level" ball. Srixon Z-Star, TaylorMade Tour Preferred, Callaway Chrome Soft and SR series, Bridgestone B330, etc. That's not to mention smaller manufacturers like Kick X.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have played Pro-V1s, and they are a good, quality ball. That said, I settled on Bridgestone, and Volvik balls. They seem to play just as well, and are less expensive than the Pro-V1s . I also seem to have more control around the green with the Bridgestone/Volvik products. Actually, if the Volvik products were more readily available I would probably play them exclusively. Of course what feels better to me might not be the same for another person. It's all about individual feel, and mind set when deciding on any kind sports equipment to be used.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

What other golf balls are out there,that would be considered comparable to the ProV1. Are there any that some may even consider better? Thanks

While I understand your question and why you asked it, and I think the direct answer was given above with a list, I'd just like to quickly get you to think about what you consider better. So, is a ProV1 better than a ProV1x or a DT Solo? I'd argue that better in an absolute sense is a tough thing to say. Instead, it's highly subjective and specific. What are you looking for specifically to be better than in the ProV1 and what do you consider to be better about the ProV1 than inferior balls? The spin and flight characteristics of any given ball may be better or worse suited to your game than another ball. And some balls may have strengths in some areas others lack. So are you looking for balls that are better around and into greens or better on tee shots and in what ways?

So I'd ask you to perhaps reflect on what specific ways you're looking for a ball to be similar / better / different than the ProV1, and you'll likely get a more relevant answer to your question, as opposed to, essentially, the list of each manufacturer's high-end ball that your original question invited.

• Upvote 2

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

While I understand your question and why you asked it, and I think the direct answer was given above with a list, I'd just like to quickly get you to think about what you consider better. So, is a ProV1 better than a ProV1x or a DT Solo? I'd argue that better in an absolute sense is a tough thing to say. Instead, it's highly subjective and specific. What are you looking for specifically to be better than in the ProV1 and what do you consider to be better about the ProV1 than inferior balls? The spin and flight characteristics of any given ball may be better or worse suited to your game than another ball. And some balls may have strengths in some areas others lack. So are you looking for balls that are better around and into greens or better on tee shots and in what ways?

So I'd ask you to perhaps reflect on what specific ways you're looking for a ball to be similar / better / different than the ProV1, and you'll likely get a more relevant answer to your question, as opposed to, essentially, the list of each manufacturer's high-end ball that your original question invited.

I never put that much thought into it really. I play Taylormade tp 70% of the time. I just wanted to see what other people thought,sorry.

I never put that much thought into it really. I play Taylormade tp 70% of the time. I just wanted to see what other people thought,sorry.

I hope you didn't take my response to be critical of you. It sounded like you were looking for a new ball to play, and I was trying to give you some things to consider and tell us about so you could get more precise feedback and suggestions.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I hope you didn't take my response to be critical of you. It sounded like you were looking for a new ball to play, and I was trying to give you some things to consider and tell us about so you could get more precise feedback and suggestions.

No I did not take it  that way at all. In fact you make some very good points. I'm always wanting to try new golf balls. I don't care for the cheap ones. I just don't like having to buy a dozon when I'm not sure I will like them. Hard to find the 3 ball packs anymore. I tried the Bridgestones  and still like the taylormade tp better. I have some Callaway chrome soft's that I just bought but, I have not hit them yet.

I've heard Titleist say to decide on a ball by asking what you want it to do around the green, and work backwards.

My guess is they want you to assume that all balls of that caliber have similar long game distance, so find the high caliber ball that does the dance you want in your short game.

Although some balls of similar caliber do seem to launch a bit lower. I noticed the TM TP balls were tougher to carry at my "athletic swing speed" than a RBZ Urethane, Chrome, ProV1, Callaway SR1, et al.

Just gotta' buy'em and try'em.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

For what it's worth, I have been collecting autographed golf balls from pro golfers after they finish a round during the AT&T; Championship here in San Antonio, TX. The balls (in my collection from years past) other than Pro V1's they've are played are; Srixon Z-Star XV, Srixon Z-Star, Callaway SR3 +, Callaway TOURix, Nike One Black Proto M5 (unfair right?), Taylormade PENTA (they covered it with black sharpie so I couldn't see the number), and unbelievably a Callaway Chrome +. The vast majority and remaining balls the pro's have played in my collection are Pro V1's.

I've heard Titleist say to decide on a ball by asking what you want it to do around the green, and work backwards.

My guess is they want you to assume that all balls of that caliber have similar long game distance, so find the high caliber ball that does the dance you want in your short game.

Although some balls of similar caliber do seem to launch a bit lower. I noticed the TM TP balls were tougher to carry at my "athletic swing speed" than a RBZ Urethane, Chrome, ProV1, Callaway SR1, et al.

Just gotta' buy'em and try'em.

That's my take on it,buy and try.

For what it's worth, I have been collecting autographed golf balls from pro golfers after they finish a round during the AT&T; Championship here in San Antonio, TX. The balls (in my collection from years past) other than Pro V1's they've are played are; Srixon Z-Star XV, Srixon Z-Star, Callaway SR3 +, Callaway TOURix, Nike One Black Proto M5 (unfair right?), Taylormade PENTA (they covered it with black sharpie so I couldn't see the number), and unbelievably a Callaway Chrome +. The vast majority and remaining balls the pro's have played in my collection are Pro V1's.

Interesting information,thanks

What other golf balls are out there,that would be considered comparable to the ProV1. Are there any that some may even consider better? Thanks

I would say year in and year out Titleist makes the most consistent product. There are a handful of golf balls each year that can perform at that level or higher. I found Bridgestones to play just as well as Pro-V's. Most premium golf balls are pretty much with in a non noticeable range in terms of performance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would say year in and year out Titleist makes the most consistent product. There are a handful of golf balls each year that can perform at that level or higher. I found Bridgestones to play just as well as Pro-V's. Most premium golf balls are pretty much with in a non noticeable range in terms of performance.

I think if one were to want to switch between balls, Taylormade's balls are most similar in performance and feel to Titleist's ProV1/x range. But their problem is that they can't seem to help themselves and keep a consistent product naming scheme going (unlike Titleist's ProV1/x and Bridgestone's B-330 /RX/S), so it's a nightmare for consumers. Callaway is hit or miss. With balls, I'm the opposite of my feelings for those two companies as compared with their clubs (love Callaway sticks; Taylormade I more like on a case by case basis). I personally strongly dislike Callaway's Super Soft and Chrome Soft balls. On actual results, they're fine, but their feel I hate, which drops confidence for me. And they just go too high on chips. I could play them, but I'd need to practice with them for a while. I can switch between a ProV1/x and a Lethal or Penta TP without a second thought.

Dom's Sticks:

There are lots of comparable products. Today nobody has the market cornered on performance. To me the issue is tailoring the ball to your spin, feel and trajectory preference. Then select that ball and play it. Constantly switching between balls can be confusing.

Note: This thread is 3294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!