IGNORED

My Swing (ajw426)

ajw426
Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just start by making swings at like 20-30% speed. Giving yourself some more space at address would help. I would also recommend you soften the lower back and feel like your right arm is under your left at address. So before you stand further away from it I'd take out the arch in the lower back, raise the handle a little and "soften" that right arm under your left.

I tried to make those changes to my setup alongside the effort to swing my left arm out to the right of the target on the downswing. To my untrained eyes it looks like my arm is less "pinned" to my side, but it still doesn't look like that picture or Rory/Tiger when i watch them. My mental swing speed was about 75% on this one. [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/mGio5RTH-io[/VIDEO] I am relieved to hear that my position is not laid off or too flat, because when i try to steepen it to mimic others, it gets ugly.

Good changes you're making in your posture. Your back will thank you. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...

Striking the ball pretty well.  Misses are either slightly fat or mild-moderate hook. My swing plane seems flat as usual to me, but not sure if that is something I should change or not.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

Hmm I can't go to deep into this because your working on other various things so the best I can do is offer a few tips that wont conflict with what your doing. First off heel hits are caused by lack of hip rotation through the shot along with poor knee flex through the ball and standing to close to the ball. The golf swing might look pretty on your backswing your centered making a huge coil practicing that aspect hard but will see your main misses from improperly firing though also known as the second half of the swing and it's far more important than the first part. A good drill is to take a golf shaft without a head and swing it to a full finish. It will be hard at first but over timer you will develop a full finish hear a swoosh and stop clearing early and holding back which will cause heel hits. 

4 hours ago, ajw426 said:

Striking the ball pretty well.  Misses are either slightly fat or mild-moderate hook. My swing plane seems flat as usual to me, but not sure if that is something I should change or not.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

Yes, definitely too flat (a significant change from your older videos). The camera angle makes it look a bit worse than it actually is but you have to change your plane a lot on the downswing to hit the ball.

Firefox_Screenshot_2016-03-13T06-07-40.9Firefox_Screenshot_2016-03-13T06-08-01.5

Look at Tiger's club in roughly the same positions and you can see he doesn't have to make a huge move to get the club to line up with the ball at impact.
tigerwoodsswingplane.jpg

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Looks much better to my eyes?  This isn't the first time over the past two years that I have tried to make similar swing changes.  The only problem is that my ball striking has gotten drastically worse every time I have tried to upright my swing plane to normal.  I think I'll give it another go, because I know that top golfers just don't take the club away like what feels natural to me.

After 30 minutes of working at it, I managed to go from striking 80% of my shots very well (the other 20% being slight mis-hits) to only about 30% being struck well with the others being all different types of misses including a few shanks.  

I know that good changes in your swing can make things worse before it makes them better, but dang... this is frustrating.

8 minutes ago, ajw426 said:

After 30 minutes of working at it, I managed to go from striking 80% of my shots very well (the other 20% being slight mis-hits) to only about 30% being struck well with the others being all different types of misses including a few shanks.  

I know that good changes in your swing can make things worse before it makes them better, but dang... this is frustrating.

Yeah, I would imagine fixing your backswing would make the over the top move worse in the short term.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a lot of time working on changing the club path on my backswing.  It looks better to me, but still pretty inconsistent.  I am hitting a fade with the driver and a draw with longer irons.  Although fat shots are now much less common, my directional control has worsened.  Any clue where to go from here?

• Administrator

Check on the posture a bit. More knee flex than normal, and arms that hang "inward" slightly from down the line.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Check on the posture a bit. More knee flex than normal, and arms that hang "inward" slightly from down the line.

Yeah, I should be able to tweak those easy enough.  

I noticed a bit of lateral head movement from the FO view.  I know that a small amount can be acceptable, but I am wondering if I should work to eliminate it, or be okay with it.

Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!