IGNORED

Golf ball change

HawkNballs
Note: This thread is 3249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pro V1X is lower spin than Pro V1s, right?

They say it spins less, but I honestly have been unable to tell the difference in spin between them. The ProV1 does feel softer to me but that could be a mental thing. I know that on a launch monitor they perform close enough to each other that I can't tell them apart by looking at the numbers, at least in the last two years or so.

If money is potentially a problem (and you don't want the continue using the e6) then I would definitely recommend the B330 as a solid alternative (or the B300-RX, depending on swing speed) with a lower price. I did the Bridgestone ball fitting recently and the numbers were the same with each ball (see below) but I have 3 dozen ProV1 and ProV1x's stockpiled that were gifts or free over the last year that I still need to work my way through so it didn't seem worth it to go out and buy a bunch of new balls.

Odd sidenote about the Bridgestone fitting is that there was something definitely being mismeasured, either ball speed or clubhead speed. I know I have a smash factor above the ~1.37 that it estimated, so I can't guarantee the accuracy of any of these numbers. I did test the balls side-by-side afterwords on the course (they gave me a sleeve of the B330's to keep) and couldn't find a difference in performance, though the Bridgestone felt "softer".

EDIT: I also can confirm that the B330 is $10 cheaper, at least as of right now. http://shop.bridgestonegolf.com/p/bridgestone-golf-2014-tour-b330?utm_source=bridgestonegolf.com&utm;_medium=web&utm;_content=buy_button&utm;_campaign=shop_bridgestonegolf_com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played Pro V1s yesterday for the last 9 holes.  I definitely hit the ball a little higher with my irons and I couldn't tell with my driver.  I absolutely pounded a couple drives, but I don't know what the e6s would have done.

I hit one of the prettiest balls of my life.  A par 3 186 yards.  I hit a 5 iron with a nice high baby draw.  My pitch mark was pin high and the ball stopped 4 ft. past the hole.  I was amazed how the ball stopped like that.  I'm positive that the e6s wouldn't have performed like that.

Unfortunately, I'm digging the Pro V1s now.  I might give the Bridgestone B330 a try next.  $4 a ball is pretty steep for my game.  Looks like I will have to sell that kidney.  ;)

Odd sidenote about the Bridgestone fitting is that there was something definitely being mismeasured, either ball speed or clubhead speed. I know I have a smash factor above the ~1.37 that it estimated, so I can't guarantee the accuracy of any of these numbers. I did test the balls side-by-side afterwords on the course (they gave me a sleeve of the B330's to keep) and couldn't find a difference in performance, though the Bridgestone felt "softer".

Most launch monitors only register the ball speed accurately. I wouldn't worry about club head speed.

Not sure what clubs you are playing, but a sub 10 degree launch angle is not optimal for your clubhead speed. You should be at least 12 degrees if not pushing 15 degrees. You want that spin rate to be near 2000.

Looks like you are hitting down on the ball to much. Try to hit up on the ball more.

If your ball speed is 162, with 15 degrees of launch, and 2000 rpm of spin you should be seeing 280 yards carry.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Most launch monitors only register the ball speed accurately. I wouldn't worry about club head speed.

Not sure what clubs you are playing, but a sub 10 degree launch angle is not optimal for your clubhead speed. You should be at least 12 degrees if not pushing 15 degrees. You want that spin rate to be near 2000.

Looks like you are hitting down on the ball to much. Try to hit up on the ball more.

If your ball speed is 162, with 15 degrees of launch, and 2000 rpm of spin you should be seeing 280 yards carry.

The thing is that I have seen a very different launch angle when I used a GC2 monitor (along with different ball speeds). I wouldn't trust those numbers on their own, but they could be useful at least as a comparison between the two balls (since at least then they should have equally flawed data).

When tested on a GC2 launch monitor I had a ball speed of ~170 mph and a launch angle of about 12-13 degrees (which is still low, especially for a 10.5* driver, but better than 9* of launch) with similar spin at around 2700 rpm. The GC2 also gave me carry numbers that accurately reflected my experience on the golf course, so I trust that those numbers were at least closer to correct (roll and total distance is kind of meaningless on a simulation just due to the number of variables involved).

Either way, back on topic, my on-course testing found no performance difference between the B330 and the ProV1x (2015 model) and only a small difference in feel. I honestly would say that I will probably end up purchasing the B330's if I need more golf balls in the future over the ProV1 simply due to the cheaper pricing.

I'm hoping there is not much difference, so I don't have to sell a kidney to buy the expensive balls. ;)

Well there should be less expensive balls with firmer cores which will work for your swing speed. You might do OK with the Callaway Superhot, Titlest Velocity, or Bridgestone E7, for example.

But the non-urethane balls won't hold the greens as well. If you want that 5-iron shot that stops after few feet, you need the urethane cover. And with your swing speed, with the urethane cover, you probably also need the mantle extra layer to keep the spin down on drives. So then you are into the tour balls, at $30/dozen and up.  Maybe give Taylormade Lethal practice balls a shot, I think they are still on Amazon for under $30/dozen.

Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it. Does anyone know how many times a ball can be compressed before it becomes ineffective? Could you use the same ball for three rounds if you're lucky enough to still have it?

Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it. Does anyone know how many times a ball can be compressed before it becomes ineffective? Could you use the same ball for three rounds if you're lucky enough to still have it?

Not sure but I play the Titleist NXT Tour w about a 250 carry Driver and 160 7 iron. I'll play the same ball a few rounds without hesitation. No loss of spin or compression on what little i put on the ball ; )

Good! Cause if I'm buying $4 balls... I'm going to wear them out until I lose them! ;)

Lol well i always buy my gear and golf balls off Ebay. (A reputable seller) Last set of 50 NXT balls i bought were 9/10 rating and paid like $1 per ball. Give it a shot

Good! Cause if I'm buying $4 balls... I'm going to wear them out until I lose them! ;)

If you like the proV give the Snell a try.  I just ordered a dozen they are only $31.99 shipping included.  If you want read the reviews before you purchase heres a good one. http://thesandtrap.com/b/balls/snell_my_tour_ball_review#comment-27520

Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know how many times a ball can be compressed before it becomes ineffective? Could you use the same ball for three rounds if you're lucky enough to still have it?

Golf balls perform fine until you actually cut or damage the cover. Minor scuffs and paint scrapes have no effect on the performance of a ball (tomorrow I'll be on my fourth tournament round with the same golf ball, still works just fine even if some of the paint is gone).

My buddy gave me a sleeve of Rife balls. Anybody ever played them? I will try them tomorrow. He said they were the poor man's Pro V1s. (Still $30 a dozen). I will try some Snell balls soon too.

Note: This thread is 3249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!