IGNORED

60 Degree How Far?

edk
Note: This thread is 6029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can get a good 100 to 110yds pretty consistently, and I can put up a really nice flop shot out to about 60-75yds. I like to drop in straight on the green like that.

Holy cow that's far, how far can you hit driver? On the topic, I can hit my lob wedge about 60-65 yards.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can hit my 60* about 100 pretty consistant but I hate to take a full swing with it because I can really spray it if my mind isn't there that day. It is not unhuman to have this kind of distance though I am really the short knocker of my foursome.

Home course: www.tupelocountryclub.org

105 max. I used to love to hit it that far all the time... but I've started backing off of all my clubs - easier swing, easier on the back. I'm also typically a 'low-ball' player, delofting the clubface somewhat (read: draw) so the 60 turns into a 56 or so by the time I get down into the ball.

I actually used to go to the range and see how far I could 'hook' my 60 lob wedge... that's how I learned to hit it 100+

Now 60 to 70 yards is a lot with a lob wedge. For those of you who "say" you hit it 100+ yards, that puts your 9 iron at 150 and your 5 at 190. Those XX shafts would feel like boards to us mortals.

You are wrong. I hit my lob 100 but hit my 9 155 and my 5 205.

to be completely honest with you, i don't think i have ever hit my 60 wedge with a full swing. In my bag, it is purely a club is use to touch shots around the green and excellent out of the sand. Due to the bounce and loft of the club, unless your a real pure ball striker, i find consistency and distance control quite difficult with this club.

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

LW probably 70 yards, SW 100, and GW about 118 or so.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

It doesn't really matter how far you hit it, as long as you know where it's going. It's a scoring club, so concentrate on a smooth swing and learning exactly how far you carry it in the air. You'll be a lot more accurate and it will become a weapon for you.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I hit mine anything from a few feet to just over 80 yards with a smooth swing:)

I play it for around 82 to 83 yard carry. If I HAVE to step on the gas to get over a tree my SW won't fly, I can jack it to mid 90s, but no farther, unless I skull it. Then it goes a looooong way!

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

My full uncoiled, no power, 10:30 swing with the 60° lob wedge will give me about 75 yards.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Holy cow that's far, how far can you hit driver? On the topic, I can hit my lob wedge about 60-65 yards.

Well, in the guy's defense, I could hit a wedge 165. If I swing like a mad man and hit it a little thin so it rolls out further.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I can get my 60˚ about 80 yards and stop it on a dime.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Well, in the guy's defense, I could hit a wedge 165. If I swing like a mad man and hit it a little thin so it rolls out further.

Alright smart ass i could hit a lobwedge 200 yards if i completly blade it XD

95 with just a full shot and no emphasis on spin. 80 with the extra effort on spin

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I can hit my 60* wedge from anything inside 100 yards. Well is the only wedge I have for the moment so I have to use it from almost any where inside the 100 yards.

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

I have a question along a similar vein...How do people hit their wedges that far? I can hit my PW 150-155 yds (46*), however, I have a 50* wedge and with the same swing I can get it 80 yds. (My 85% swing with this club gets it closer to 100yds) It seems like the faster I swing the more it sends the ball up in the air and I lose distance. I have a 60* wedge and like the OP I can't seem to get it past 60 yards.

I think the reality is that people who are looking at hitting their 'scoring clubs' x distance are looking at it from completely the wrong perspective. Wedges are accuracy and finesse clubs looking to get as close to the pin as possible. Not necessarily trying to blast as far as you can with them.

However, in response to your previous comment, the reason i think i purely because the faster you swing, either you connect poorly with the ball (ie. not hitting it flush or you hitting it slightly fatter). You also have to remember in the short clubs, a lot more of the balls spin will be concentrated as back spin, thus, causing the ball to fly higher. If you are dead set keen on hitting your wedges longer for versatility sake, if you de-loft the club face (ie. have your hands slightly in front of the club head before impact), this should increase your yardage. Or even simpler still, pick one club longer!!!

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

The best answer so far has been emphasis on control.

As of late, I've been struggling with my lower iron yardages. Worked out a lot of lag in my swing, and I'm learning to get out of my own way.

Consequences of the above: As of the moment, a "normal", solid swing results in a 130-135 yard 5-10 yard draw with the 60. (no back/wrist/shoulder pain, and I can make the swing with my feet closed - I'm not coming out of my shoes. It just feels right.)

I've been teeing off with the lobber on a few 130-140 yard par 3's lately, and finding the center of the green. (when the wind is low/I'm comfortable trying to shape the shot into it.)

It's a fun trick, but I'm still more consistent backing off of a sand wedge instead. (The longest to date - carried the lobber to approximately 150-155, air mailing the green on what looked like a great shot. )

To the 9I, 5I, Driver yardages.... Still working on it. ;)

9 - 150-165 (a few have sailed well past)
5I - 200-220
Driver... An "easy" swing will usually net 280-300.

And yet, without control, it all amounts to little more than struggling to save par from some pretty entertaining/embarassing locations on the course.

Take it as you will. ;) (And sorry about the novel. )

Note: This thread is 6029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!